IDE very slow typing

Hello

I’m not used to using Xojo on Windows, but typing is very slow. The IDE feels very sluggish in general, but typing is crazy slow.
I created 2 gifs to compare:
Notepad typing:

Xojo typing (as start to type as soon as the cursor is at place):

This is Windows 10, Xojo 2018r1 on reasonable hardware (Macbook Pro 2015: No bootcamp or virtualization)

What can I do to fix this?

looks to me like Autocomplete is what is killing you… try turning it off and see what happens

Nice guess indeed, I tried it, but I notice absolutely no difference.

Quite interesting. I am on Windows 10 (Lenovo carbon X1: core I5, 8GB RAM) I do not experience any significant slowdown while typing. Copy-Paste operations can take a while, but typing is subjectively on par with 2017R3.

So, you installed Windows 10 bare metal on your Apple hardware? Could this be a driver issue?

Just off the top of my head:

1. Does this happen as soon as you open the IDE or does it slow down over time?
  2. Does this only happen with your project or does it happen with a new blank project?
  3. Did you see it on any previous versions of the alpha/beta (I notice you’re a pre-release tester)?
  4. “This is Windows 10, Xojo 2018r1 on reasonable hardware (Macbook Pro 2015: No bootcamp or virtualization)” How are you actually running it then if not via bootcamp or in a VM?
  5. What desktop scaling are you running at? 100% 150%?
  6. Does it still happen after a fresh reboot without opening other programs?

The same happen to me using MacBook Pro 15" Touch ID i7 2,9GHz with Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB
I try to do a fresh restart and the problem persist.

I have the project that is recovered from not saved project after crash.
I try to save the project in non binary format and then save back in binary format and bingo text typing is now OK

[quote=383625:@]Just off the top of my head:

1. Does this happen as soon as you open the IDE or does it slow down over time?
  2. Does this only happen with your project or does it happen with a new blank project?
  3. Did you see it on any previous versions of the alpha/beta (I notice you’re a pre-release tester)?
  4. “This is Windows 10, Xojo 2018r1 on reasonable hardware (Macbook Pro 2015: No bootcamp or virtualization)” How are you actually running it then if not via bootcamp or in a VM?
  5. What desktop scaling are you running at? 100% 150%?
  6. Does it still happen after a fresh reboot without opening other programs?[/quote]
  1. As soon as I open the IDE.
  2. Both
  3. I don’t have an active license at this moment, so I cannot test beta’s anymore
  4. Just format the whole drive, install Windows as you should, install all the drivers
  5. 170% Does this matter?
  6. Bingo, this works indeed. Just a normal reboot, I’m now slowly opening other apps (mailclient, vpn, etc…) and I will report after a while.

Thanks for thinking with me!

[quote=383593:@Mathias Maes]Hello

I’m not used to using Xojo on Windows, but typing is very slow. The IDE feels very sluggish in general, but typing is crazy slow.
I created 2 gifs to compare:
Notepad typing:

Xojo typing (as start to type as soon as the cursor is at place):

This is Windows 10, Xojo 2018r1 on reasonable hardware (Macbook Pro 2015: No bootcamp or virtualization)

What can I do to fix this?[/quote]
Hi, Mathias.

I have the same problem continously, specially when I work with two or more Xojo IDEs opened at same time.

The only solution I’he found is close all Xojo IDEs and re-open again.

I suffer similar slowdon over time, multiple hours, it gets so slow that when you try to insert a new window, the window doesn’t get inserted. At that point I have to restart XOJO and use until it slows down again. I wonder whether it is the amount of ‘undo’ steps that the IDE is remembering - no scientific evidence for that mind you.

1 Like

TLDR: if typing gets slow, close (or hide) the tabs containing lots of visible items.

I have very large projects with a lot of elements and lots of tabs open. Normally typing is fast, even after working for 8+ hours.
Yesterday my typing became glacial, so I re-launched. After a few minutes it was glacial again. Activity monitor showed Xojo was close to 100% as I typed. There had to be another reason.

I closed the tabs (or sublist items) showing the windows that have hundreds of items, and typing resumed to be fast again, with no relaunch. I assume Xojo must be checking the open tab items on every change, in case it needs to update any effected item on them.

@David Cox - when you next see this, try just collapsing the navigator on the tabs where you have layouts open.

Sometimes this also happens to me, and to describe it, I write “dim a As Integer” and complete text is shown after 20-25 seconds. I am watching how it shows one by one letter. It is also in Window with hundreds of items. The only solution I got for now is to re-launch XOJO and delete cache files: https://graffitisuite.com/wiki/doku.php?id=xojo:cache

Yes, thank you, I didn’t know the terminology, but that’s what I meant by ‘sublist items’.

@Aleksandar Spasojevi? my suggestion may mean you don’t need to re-launch Xojo or delete the cache. Certainly worth trying BEFORE to do that.