Do you read the release notes?

1. 6 months ago

Gavin S

18 Apr 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro UK

I wonder how many other developers really read the release notes for Xojo releases?

I read the notes while I'm testing the betas but I have a ritual in which I always take 20 mins after a major new release and scan or read down every item in the release notes. I usually find this is time not wasted because I can sometimes remove workarounds I had in place when a bug has been fixed or I can be aware of something that hasn't been fixed yet or I can take advantage of a new feature or method or property.

Get the release notes from the Help Menu -> New In This Release or get them directly from inside the Documentation folder.

Anyone else spending some time today to get to know the new release?

2. Kem T

18 Apr 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers New York

I read through them all during the beta cycle but don't review them again after the release. You're right, you can pick up quite a lot there.

3. Alexander v

18 Apr 2018 Europe (Houten, The Netherland...

First thing I do. I just finished reading. Quite a list.

4. Beatrix W

18 Apr 2018 Pre-Release Testers Europe (Germany)

The format is not very useful. Way too many details. I would expect a more user friendly format. Something between "we optmized the Windows drawing stuff" and the hundreds of boring stuff to wade through.

5. Jim B

18 Apr 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Uckfield, England

I do! It's really important. There's some big ones in this release:
    The IDE can now debug 64-bit Windows applications. Hooray!
    Support for Internet Explorer 9 has been removed from the web framework. Thank goodness for that IE9!

6. Louis D

18 Apr 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Montreal, QC, Canada

I do. It is always interesting to know what is there, workarounds that can be removed in current projects (and eventually in updated projects), new behaviors to be aware of, etc.

7. Julia T

18 Apr 2018 Sandy Hook, Connecticut

@Gavin S Get the release notes from the Help Menu -> New In This Release

On my High Sierra MBP, it opens Chrome but doesn't go to the Release Notes. First thing I try in the new version and it's buggy :(

8. Brian O

18 Apr 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Calgary, AB

Release notes should be a ticker tape at the bottom of the forum.

9. Julia T

18 Apr 2018 Sandy Hook, Connecticut

@Brian OBrien - LOL! But now that I've read them it looks like a great update, looking forward to an improved experience!

10. Dan B

18 Apr 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

First thing I do after downloading.

11. Paul L

18 Apr 2018 Xojo Inc http://developer.xojo.com

@Beatrix W The format is not very useful. Way too many details. I would expect a more user friendly format. Something between "we optmized the Windows drawing stuff" and the hundreds of boring stuff to wade through.

High-level summaries are in the online release notes:

http://developer.xojo.com/2018r1-release-notes

Plus there are the yearly release highlights:

12. Michael D

18 Apr 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

I read the notes AND copy & paste interesting ones to a separate list for later thought. Many of these are "looks like they fixed bug X and perhaps I can remove my workaround." I appreciate all the detail.

13. Javier M

18 Apr 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro AprendeXojo - Europe, Spain

I always read them in full. The very first thing I do, in fact.

14. Bob K

18 Apr 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Kansas City

I always read them.

15. Christian S

18 Apr 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers Germany

I read the beta notes and of course on the final all the notes again, so I know know that those are in the release.
    And you find things you missed in the betas.

16. Seth O

18 Apr 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Florida/England/California/NY/...

I always spend at least 2-3 minutes skimming them and then go a lot more in-depth on any details relevant to me. The few minutes is always outweighed by the hours saved by finding out that a long-used work-around is no longer needed, or a time-saving simpler feature is now built-in for something that I was working around before.

17. Beatrix W

18 Apr 2018 Pre-Release Testers Europe (Germany)

@Paul L : something a bit more detailed that what you linked to. New options for the IDE, new features in the framework etc.

Remember the very special flashing brackets for code in 2017r3 or r2? This got buried in the release notes and we noticed the lack of options only after release.

18. Eugene D

18 Apr 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Canada scispec.ca

I usually read the beta notes. After testing the latest version of some of my programs on the latest version, then I’ll compare the latest release notes with errors to see if any regressions have occurred.

19. Kimball L

18 Apr 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Meridian, ID, USA

I scan through the full release notes looking for anything that will affect me.

20. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!