Mmmm, love the smell of RB2012r2.1 in the evening...

1. last week

Mattias S

Apr 12 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Sweden, Stockholm)

Thursday night fun - a trip down Memory Lane with old plug-ins and other things to fix... before fixing the actual problem in the code...
    -image-

2. 7 days ago

Mattias S

Apr 12 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Sweden, Stockholm)

Found and fixed the bug.
    For the record - recompiled the app in 2012r2.1 and it's running like expected even on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 64-bit. Rock solid!

3. 6 days ago

Tim J

Apr 13 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Back in Phoenix, AZ USA (desic...

I still use 2012r2.1 almost daily ...

4. Mattias S

Apr 13 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Sweden, Stockholm)

@Tim J I still use 2012r2.1 almost daily ...

No offense, it's still a great release and blazing fast compared to later releases. I just posted off-topic while trying to find MBS plug-ins from 2015 and license-keys.
    One thing really missed is how "earlier" (like 2015-ish) version could remember which tabs are source and which tabs are design. Really annoying these days.

5. Tim J

Apr 13 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Back in Phoenix, AZ USA (desic...

I keep my working versions on both an LTO-5 tape and on 32GB USB flash drives. I keep 2007r1, 2011r3, 2012r2.1, 2013r3.3, and 2016r3 in ready states for all three platforms. I don't need 2007r1 or 2011r3 any more (those were for specific console helpers), but I use 12r2.1, 13r3.3, and 16r3 to maintain our apps.

6. Jason P

Apr 13 Xojo Inc http://xojo.com/

Don’t forget that, as of macOS 10.13.4, you & you’re users are going to get warnings from the OS about 32 bit applications.

7. Michel B

Apr 13 Pre-Release Testers RubberViews.com
    Edited 6 days ago

I am getting the warning now when I forget to set Mac compile to 64 bit to run in the IDE. It may come a time (soon) when 64 bit should be the default for Mac.

8. Emile S

Apr 13 Europe (France, Strasbourg)

Another reason not to upgdate :(

9. Jason P

Apr 13 Xojo Inc http://xojo.com/

@Michel B I am getting the warning now when I forget to set Mac compile to 64 bit to run in the IDE. It may come a time (soon) when 64 bit should be the default for Mac.

I agree - it probably should be the default :)

10. Michel B

Edited 6 days ago

The main danger of that pesky message is that people who try Xojo may be turned away. Indeed, as High Sierra is now the standard system, 64 bit would be more logical.

11. @Tim J I still use 2012r2.1 almost daily ...

Me too.

12. Christian S

Apr 13 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers Germany

Xojo 2018r1 will come soon.

13. Michel B

I have reinstalled RB 2012 1.2 on my machine for occasional tests, but I should say I have embraced Xojo from 2013R1, and never looked backed since.

I know some here hate the new IDE and regret the RB one, so please don't that as a personal offense, but I find the XCode style UI is superior to the old fashion, cramped old IDE. Besides, in 6 years of so, there have been so many improvements : 64 bits and HiDPI for Mac and Windows, and now flickerless Windows.

14. Christian S

Apr 13 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers Germany

Well, when installing 10.14 or 10.15 on a future MacBook, I may be forced to port all apps we still use to Xojo & 64-bit.

15. Emile S

Apr 14 Europe (France, Strasbourg)

Last year, I tried to load and run a project I use Xojo 2015r1 with:

Surprise:

It worked fine. I do not used specific stuff that was added since 2012 in RB/Xojo.

Why would I update to 2018r1 ?

16. Jeff T

Apr 14 Midlands of England, Europe

Why would I update to 2018r1 ?

Pros: (there may be more.. depends what your projects do)
    It should flicker less.
    You could implement hiDPI using Xojo's methodology
    64bit editor

Cons: (There may be more.. etc)
    Your apps will be much larger.
    Direct2D introduced some drawing issues.. unsure how fixed they are.

17. 5 days ago

@Michel B I find the XCode style UI is superior to the old fashion, cramped old IDE.

"Cramped"? The RS IDE left far more code editor space. The new inspector wastes tons of space displaying information (method signatures, for example) in a vertical strip that was much better displayed horizontally. Likewise the bottom pane is always encroaching on the editor, and the top toolbar takes much more space than it needs to. I spend half my time closing and opening these things so I can see my code; in RS I can leave the window config alone most of the time. The way the navigator works is completely unintuitive - I'm always looking for my stuff and ending up with duplicated tabs. Apart from all that, the Xojo IDE is fine.

18. Michel B

Apr 14 Pre-Release Testers RubberViews.com

Julia, I am not trying to convince you. I started to use RB back in 2001, so I know the older IDE very well. RB was probably conceived for screens 800x600 or something like that, so the project and library are far too small for my old eyes.

I do not use one of the minuscule screens common today on laptops, so what you describe is not an issue with Xojo with 1920x1080 screens.

19. Dave S

Apr 14 San Diego, California USA

The biggest drawback for both the Xojo IDE and the XCode IDE is the fact that you cannot change the font of the Navigator/Inspector panes. You can change the Code Editor font/size, but nothing else..

so as Michel says

@Michel B the project and library are far too small for my old eyes.

20. Greg O

Apr 14 Xojo Inc Somewhere near Raleigh, NC

@Dave S The biggest drawback for both the Xojo IDE and the XCode IDE is the fact that you cannot change the font of the Navigator/Inspector panes. You can change the Code Editor font/size, but nothing else..

so as Michel says

You’ve been able to choose to display a larger font in the navigator for at least a year.

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!