Where is the location simulation in Simulator?

Is it just me, or did things change in the iOS simulator?

Before I was able to go to Debug > Location > Highway ride (or something like that).

Now the location simulation options seemed to be gone. Are they moved, disabled?

Yes, Xcode9 has changed, as has the simulator (you can run multiple simulators at once now)

However… Debug -> Location is still there … unless Xojo somehow disabled/removed it (which I doubt)

Actually… it is gone :frowning:

for you maybe… or as I said, perhaps Xojo disabled it…
as mine is full (NOT using Xojo)

• None
  • Custom Location
  • Apple
  • City Bicycle Ride
  • City Run
  • Freeway Drive

So it is NOT Xcode per se’

Just a wild guess… might it be the version of the simulator I currently use?

What is the newest simulator version that works with Xojo?

My setup is:

• Xojo 2017r3
  • iOS 8.4 simulator (In Xcode, I do see newer versions)

My experience is that some newer simulators didn’t work with the latest Xojo release

current Simulator for Xcode9 is version 10.0

Updated and restarted the simulator. It is on version 10.0 now.
But still no location simulation. Very weird…

And yes, I restarted Xojo as well… just in case

We do nothing except start the simulator - we do not modify it at all.

That makes it even weirder. It should work, right? It worked here before. And I have not changed anything, as far as I know.

This is what I have:

• MacOS Sierra i[/i]
  • Xcode 9.2
  • iOS 10.0 simulator
  • Xojo 2017r3

Is it an option to just remove Xcode and re-install the whole thing?

[quote=379983:@Edwin van den Akker]Updated and restarted the simulator. It is on version 10.0 now.
But still no location simulation. Very weird…

And yes, I restarted Xojo as well… just in case[/quote]
Did you launch Xcode at least once after the update?

Yes, I did.

A funny thing happened.
I opened the simulator from Xcode. There is was… in the Debug > Location menu. All the location simulators were there.

I removed the Plist from the Xojo project browser. I launched it, not expecting it to work. And it didn’t. But the location simulators were there.
I added the Plist again. Launched the app in the simulator… and the location simulators were gone, once again. I expect an error in the Plist, maybe.
The app did ask permission to use the location services though, in the final step.

So obviosly this is not an accurate statement :slight_smile:
well perhaps accurate as stated, but the Xojo supplied pList seems to alter something

[quote=380002:@Edwin van den Akker]Yes, I did.

A funny thing happened.
I opened the simulator from Xcode. There is was… in the Debug > Location menu. All the location simulators were there.

I removed the Plist from the Xojo project browser. I launched it, not expecting it to work. And it didn’t. But the location simulators were there.
I added the Plist again. Launched the app in the simulator… and the location simulators were gone, once again. I expect an error in the Plist, maybe.
The app did ask permission to use the location services though, in the final step.[/quote]
In your plist file, did you include the key that’s now required which explains why you want access to the user’s location?

<key>NSLocationWhenInUseUsageDescription</key> <string>Required to show your location on the map.</string>

[quote=380009:@Dave S]So obviosly this is not an accurate statement :slight_smile:
well perhaps accurate as stated, but the Xojo supplied pList seems to alter something[/quote]

My statement is 100% accurate. We do not alter the simulator in any way.

[quote=380011:@Greg O’Lone]In your plist file, did you include the key that’s now required which explains why you want access to the user’s location?

<key>NSLocationWhenInUseUsageDescription</key> <string>Required to show your location on the map.</string>[/quote]

I did.

Hey… you know what? I think I found the problem.

I tried to debug on an iPhone 7 plus simulator. And the only iOS I had was 11.2.
When I went to Hardware > Device > Manage Devices (in Simulator) I noticed that I didn’t have an iOS 10.0 installed. So, I added a simulator for the 7 plus, with iOS 10.

Now it works!

Note to self: Use your eyes, Edwin… use your eyes!

Second note to self: And Always listen to @Dave S… especially when he mentions the version numbers…