When someone is ignored, it would be nice not to see the thread he started

1. 12 months ago

Michel B

24 Mar 2018 Pre-Release Testers RubberViews.com

On Facebook, when someone is blocked, the threads he starts simply don't show.

It would be nice to have the same happening in this forum. Right now when someone who is blocked starts a thread, the thread still shows, but without the first post it makes no sense. Might as well not see it at all.

2. Michel B

Feedback Case #51726

3. Markus W

24 Mar 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro #JeSuisHuman Germany, Heidelb...

I might be in a minority, but I fundamentally disagree with “blocking” people (I didn’t even block BH when he was at his worst). It’s actually not “blocking”, it’s “freezing out” and so Amish … or 18th Century.

4. Michel B

Edited 12 months ago

You are perfectly welcome to appreciate every single fight and haphazard thinking, and nobody forces you to use the ignore feature.

But the ignore feature has been a staple of online forums even since before the Internet. It was in Compuserve and Bix in the 80's actually. As well as BBSes (remember ?). It quite naturally made it to Usenet Newsgroups. And now social media.

I am sorry, but there are here (not many, fortunately) people who are unable to post anything useful at all whose brain don't seem to be debuggable. There are also extremely unpleasant people I frankly don't care to know the opinion of.

It is anybody's privilege not to pollute one's mental landscape with unnecessary blabber. We do this everyday in real life, by simply deciding which newspaper we read or not, or which people we want to talk to.

I believe especially in an era of social media where anonymity is rampant in spite of real names policy (which is not even enforced), it is SO 21st Century to be able to squelch deplorable and uninvited.

5. Markus W

24 Mar 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro #JeSuisHuman Germany, Heidelb...

I might disagree with you, but I defend your right to voice your opinion.

6. Thomas R

27 Mar 2018 Europe, France, Besancon

It seems logic to see the thread as people who are not blocked may answer. Effectivly you don't know the question they answer. But we can go further and ask to block the answers to people who are blocked. Not simple.

As Markus, I never blocked anybody on any forum. But I understand other people do it.

7. Michel B

27 Mar 2018 Pre-Release Testers RubberViews.com
    Edited 12 months ago

I have two people blocked at the moment.

One is never sharing anything technically useful, but regularly posting unpleasant polemical things that can be taken as personal attacks.

The other one often creates threads with incomprehensible questions and irrelevant obscure commentaries of no interest whatsoever.

In both cases, I refuse to waste time reading stuff that will not enlighten me the least.

That's me. Other may enjoy that kind of literature.

or Sign Up to reply!