10.13.4 beta 4 crash with project images

I just updated to 10.13.4 beta 4 (17E170c) and I’m seeing bizarre crashes in code that has worked for over a decade. I think that what’s happening is that images (PNG files) that were dragged into the IDE are showing up as Nil objects at runtime.

Anyone else seeing this?

I discovered an issue which I believe is a bug in Xojo. If an image set, which has both a 1x and 2x component, is used in a new picture command, the picture will be nil. This caused a hard-to-find crash in my program. Simply deleting the 2x component of the image set allowed the new picture procedure to function normally.

More info:

• this is built using Xojo 2014R2.1 so ImageSets are not a problem
  • it happens right after launch so is not likely an out-of-memory bug
  • The code that was crashing was something like this:
   dim p as picture = APictureDraggedIntoTheIDE
   dim w as integer = p.width // NilObjectException
  • reinstalling the app seems to have cleared up the bug.

So I’m not sure what to make of this.

That info would have been most helpful in the OP.
Sounds like you’ve solved the issue with a restart.

Ok, the plot thickens. I saved a copy of the before app (which was crashing) and the re-installed app which was not, and then diff’d them:

diff -r AppNew.app/ AppOld.app/

Binary files AppOld.app/Contents/Resources/hud36_goto.png and AppNew.app/Contents/Resources/hud36_goto.png differ

Looking at the files in a hex editor, they are both the same exact length (1395 bytes) but the bad one is just filled with what appears to be random data.

Have I run into some sort of fun 10.14 APFS bug where my files are getting replaced with random garbage?

Conclusion: Based on the fact that one of my PNG files inside the App’s resource folder was apparently corrupted during the installation of 10.13.4 beta 4, I do not think this is likely to be a Xojo bug.

Holy ■■■■, that’s outrageous. I don’t want to believe it… but alas I do.

I am finding things are really slow with the latest beta and YouTube works for about half an hour before I can no play video, then I have to restart the machine.

[quote=376259:@Sam Rowlands]Holy !@#$%, that’s outrageous. I don’t want to believe it… but alas I do.

I am finding things are really slow with the latest beta and YouTube works for about half an hour before I can no play video, then I have to restart the machine.[/quote]

While I don’t wish pain on anyone, knowing that “it’s not just me” is reassuring. :slight_smile:

The thought that APFS is getting slower and buggier in newer versions is alarming and disheartening in the extreme. I don’t want to believe it can be worse than the current high sierra release…