Code Repository

1. ‹ Older
  2. last year

Mathias M

is not verified 5 Mar 2018 Pre-Release Testers Bruges, Belgium

@Markus W The problem with GitHub seems to me that you will need a Pro license to get involved (you need source control and saving as text).

How much that hampers the open-source development I can’t say …

Saving as text is also possible in Desktop license. Don't know about lite tho.

3. Tim P

5 Mar 2018 Pre-Release Testers Austin, TX

Lite will only save binary projects. This thread was about a code repository category so let's stick to that discussion, we have had the Xojo (the app) vs. Code Sharing discussion several times in other threads.

4. Dave S

5 Mar 2018 San Diego, California USA
    Edited last year

@Mathias M Saving as text is also possible in Desktop license. Don't know about lite tho.

Lite ($99) version can only save as "binary"
    all other versions can save as Binary, XML or VCS (does not have to be "PRO")

5. scott b

5 Mar 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro local coffee shop

@Tim P The ones hosted on Github you can contribute to if you have solutions, or if you have an all new solution you can reach out to @Paul L to get listed on that page.

GitHub or BitBucket…

both you can contribute to.

6. scott b

5 Mar 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro local coffee shop

@Tim P Lite will only save binary projects. This thread was about a code repository category so let's stick to that discussion, we have had the Xojo (the app) vs. Code Sharing discussion several times in other threads.

on several of my OpenSourced modules I have started saving as Binary format to be inclusive of everyone. But I much rather save them in the `Xojo Project` format as it is better with revision control systems.

7. Dave S

@scott b on several of my OpenSourced modules I have started saving as Binary format to be inclusive of everyone. But I much rather save them in the `Xojo Project` format as it is better with revision control systems.

I might be wrong here... but I thought ALL versions could LOAD any of the formats, but LITE was restricted to BINARY save

8. Paul L

5 Mar 2018 Xojo Inc http://docs.xojo.com

Like Tim, I recommend hosting your project in an open-source repo such as GitHub or BitBucket.

I recommend you use the text project format with the open-source repo, if your license supports it. Any Xojo license can open the text format. Only Lite license cannot save to it, but they will be able to save it as Binary for their own use if they wanted.

Once you have something posted, let me know about so I can add it to the Open-Source page in the Dev Center.

Here is a short guide on how to get started with GitHub:

https://blog.xojo.com/2018/01/17/start-an-open-source-project-on-github/

9. This post seems to have slid away from its original intention.....

Can anyone from Xojo respond to the original question?

10. Dave S

@Jonathon G This post seems to have slid away from its original intention.....
    Can anyone from Xojo respond to the original question?

@Paul L Like Tim, I recommend hosting your project in an open-source repo such as GitHub or BitBucket.

They did

11. Thanks for the reply @Dave S ,

I think that's a great idea, for hosting complete projects. What I'm after is a section in the forums so that users can post small snippets of code that solve individual problems.
    Having a separate place to put this code would only serve to make the forums better, and to keep it out of the regular "I need help" section of the forums where people ask questions.

In my experience with other languages and platforms, this is pretty common practice.

It makes searching for, finding, solving, and participating in community based code resource so much easier and a whole bunch less frustrating.

12. Tim P

@Jonathon G I think that's a great idea, for hosting complete projects. What I'm after is a section in the forums so that users can post small snippets of code that solve individual problems.

We get what you're asking for. Paul is Xojo staff and has answered your inquiry. You can put anything you want up on Github or BitBucket, it doesn't have to be a complete project. Heck, none of my offerings are complete projects. They're just the pieces to share.

What we're trying to say is, there is already an existing spot you can find free code that solves common problems. That happens to be http://developer.xojo.com/community rather than the forum.

@Jonathon G It makes searching for, finding, solving, and participating in community based code resource so much easier and a whole bunch less frustrating.

If you're having trouble searching, try Google. By searching "xojo {my problem}" with Google, you will get a mix of results from the Xojo forum, RealStudio forum, and NUG archives - which I think is more helpful than searching just the forum itself.

13. Edited last year

@Tim P
    I guess my confusion comes from not understanding why it's preferable to have ANY extra barrier for new users (or any user) to participate in finding/creating solutions.

The community link you provided (thanks by the way, i didn't even know that existed.) is a great resource but in order to participate and add to that resource you are telling me to:

1) Leave the platform (the official xojo forum) to github
    2)post my code there, i guess in a text file?
    3)then contact Xojo to tell them about it,
    4)Wait for them to add it (or not) to their community resource page?

That seems oddly difficult when compared to clicking into a Xojo forum channel and posting it there, wouldn't you agree?

As to your Google comment, of course Google indexes EVERYTHING and searching from their is, I agree, quite easy. I guess it was more my point that having a section devoted to this in the Forums, would helo help keep the "Asking a question" VS "Providing a solution that I found" areas separate.

14. Tim P

I can only make guesses and speculation as to why Xojo does it the way they do. The only real answer I can give from my standpoint is, "this is just how we do it."

You received a response to your inquiry from a staff member, if you want any more of an official response you'll have to file a feedback case.

15. I received a response yes, and technically It did answer my question...

"Can we get feature XYZ?" and the round about answer was "NO"

My continued responses in this post are now geared toward "Why not?"

I understand your response is "This is just how we do it", because you're not sure, and that's cool, but that can't be the official response could it? This is the equivalent of a parent saying to their child ".....because I said so"

Xojo is awesome. Do you want to increase its user base? Remove any barrier to entry. That's what I'm hoping we can have a discussion about, no matter how much you want me to just shut the hell up ;)

16. Markus W

5 Mar 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro #JeSuisHuman Germany, Heidelb...

There are lots of things that could be improved on the forum, like file storage for projects, pictures, screenshots, etc (keyword “DropBox desaster”).

As for code snippets, either an app like Dash (or Feedback) or something integrated into the IDE with access to a central repository would be nice. Btw Dash had a Snippet manager (including the ability to add notes) that nicely integrated with Xojo when it still was REAL.studio, so it is certainly possible.

17. That Dash app looks cool... for Mac only awww :(

If only there was some easy way to develop cross platform applications :)
    someone send him a xojo link!

18. Eugene D

5 Mar 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Canada scispec.ca

Dash for iOS

Velocity for Windows

Zeal for Linux

LovelyDocs for Android

19. scott b

6 Mar 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro local coffee shop

@Jonathon G If only there was some easy way to develop cross platform applications :)
    someone send him a xojo link!

he knows of Xojo as he has the Xojo docs built for his app. And they get updated when new releases come out. I am pretty sure that @Paul L or someone from Xojo built the original ones (or maybe even all of them).

He only writes in Swift so his apps are Mac/iOS only.

I use Zeal on Linux and Windows all the time and it is great.

20. Markus W

6 Mar 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro #JeSuisHuman Germany, Heidelb...

Umm, no. Dash still uses the old classic Xojo documentation, the new documentation is not available. One reason of many why I hate the new documentation.

21. Ian J

7 Mar 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Somerset, UK

I think a "Code Repository" section would likely end up being an area where people think they've found a "canonical" solution to something but in reality there might be a better or more up to date code snippet available by simply posting a question either in a new conversation or as a reply to a similar question where the solution is no longer relevant or quite the right fit.

One of the great things about this forum is the discussion that happens when someone posts about a problem they're having with a bit of code or looking for direction on how to tackle something. From experience, I believe a "solutions" area will just end up mostly ignored.

Most people are happy to post a few snippets of code within [code] blocks, or link to complete projects on GitHub, BitBucket etc, and if a (similar) solution was posted in another conversation that the original poster didn't find then it's usually linked up.

One very valuable service that I think we forget about on this forum is GitHub's Gists , perfect for sharing a longer piece of code that doesn't need to be in a full project but is a bit too much to comfortably post within a forum post.

or Sign Up to reply!