Kiosk App on a tiny Raspberry Pi

A client came to me and asked if it was possible to build a kiosk app that runs on screens in several stores.

What I would do is make the app that runs on a Raspberry Pi. But more like a Raspberry Zero kind of thing. It would be connected to the HDMI connector of a display. Most displays have a USB port that could provide power to the Raspberry. It would help if the Raspberry has WiFi, to update the content to be shown on the display.
I have seen some videos on making Raspberry Pi’s work as a web browser. I just want to be able to use the display whenever there is no internet connection.
Of course, a store has to be able to assign a store ID to the Raspberry. Maybe an iOS (or even a desktop) companion app could help out. I’ll figure that out as I go.

But I read (somewhere) that Xojo isn’t compatible with the Zero. Does anybody know a tiny Raspberry that is compatible with Xojo?

Raspberry DeskTop app is the way to go if you use touchscreen monitor

Thanks, an I know… If I’m going to take the job I will definitely go for a Raspberry Desktop App, in full-screen mode.

I am just looking for a small Raspberry board, preferably the size of a USB thumb drive of some sort. But one that is compatible with Xojo, so I can actually build a Xojo App for it :slight_smile:

Use the NEC raspberry pi compute module 3 compatible display for that.

[quote=375388:@Derk Jochems]

Use the NEC raspberry pi compute module 3[/quote]

That is brilliant. Just looking it up now to see what it actually is and if it is compatible with Xojo

The Banana Pi Zero is the smallest Xojo compatible unit I’ve seen. Includes WiFi and Bluetooth.

The Raspberry Pi Zero isn’t compatible, but the Compute Module 3 is. It has the same BCM2837 chip as the Pi 3.

Edited: to clarify the Zero that I was referring to

The Raspberry Zero won’t workm but theBanana Zero uses an A7 which Xojo requires.

Yes, I should have been clear that I was talking about the official Raspberry Pi Zero. Edited to clarify.

I’ve been using a Raspberry Pi 3 for standalone projects.
Even with a case, it’s smaller than a pack of cigarettes.
Double stick tape or Velcro to the back of a monitor.

Why, seriously why? You are already going to be humping a lot of hardware around the place in any case, so a standard Raspberry PI is not going to make any difference. By going with the tried and tested you reduce a project risks, which helps ensure your success.