MacOS High Sierra 10.13.4 beta

I am getting “xxx.debug” may affect the performance of your Mac, the developer of this app needs to update it to improve its compatibility.
Just a heads up for the developers (i expect they are aware) this is since the latest MacOS beta update.

There was a thread about this and I think it has to do with 32-bit apps. Do your debugging with 64-bit apps and that warning shouldn’t pop up.

Do you think some debug parts still 32 bit?

Same here. Even when you compile to 64bit and let Appwrapper check everything is 64bit, it gives this warning.
Could be a macOS bug.

I don’t see this. Latest beta with empty project. I made sure that the bundle id is a new one.

[quote=374897:@Christoph De Vocht]Same here. Even when you compile to 64bit and let Appwrapper check everything is 64bit, it gives this warning.
Could be a macOS bug.[/quote]
it could be that App Wrapper is missing something? Try the app diagnostics in App Wrapper to see if that flags any 32-Bit executable.

It appears to be MBS plugins. When I compile a project that does not use MBS, it doesn’t show up.

Is this happening just during your debugging, or does your final build suffer the same way?

Even with the MBS plugins I can’t reproduce this.

@Jeff Tullin: the stupid warning occurs when you first run the app with the specific bundle id. It doesn’t matter if this is in the debugger or not.

So is anyone else seeing this?

Im still trying to reach a stable bug free 64bit build at all.
That would seem pretty pointless if OSX is going to complain about it anyway, even if it is ‘all 64bit’
Have we reached a point where Apple is going to complain about things not written in Xcode, or is it something we can do something about?

Sam: What does ‘reduce carbon footprint’ imply?

It means that what it’s illustrating is linking to Apple’s Carbon framework and ideally that executable should no longer be using Carbon API calls.

A couple of years ago an Apple engineer told me that basically anything other than 64-Bit Cocoa was unofficially deprecated. However in saying that I have heard of developers still using Carbon elements because of unfixed bugs in 64-Bit Cocoa.

It is entirely possible that Apple’s checks are basically alienating anything that’s not 64-Bit Cocoa, especially as I don’t know of anything that indicates exactly what Apple are looking for.

AppearancePAK
HTML Viewer
InternetEncodings
XojoFramework

Okay, according to @Christoph De Vocht information on the other thread, he’s only seeing this message when using MBS plug-ins. The executables you listed are internal Xojo ones, so I would assume that their checks are not checking for Carbon API. So right now I’m not sure.

Apparently, you can check for 64 bit issues via the following instructions:

To enable 64-bit mode:

1. Launch Terminal
  2. Execute the following command: sudo nvram boot-args="-no32exec"
  3. Restart the machine
    64-bit test mode prevents 32-bit processes from launching. Launching an app that depends on 32-bit software results in a notification that the application can’t be opened. Other types of software may fail silently, such as 32-bit versions of Dashboard and WebKit plugins, preference panes, and background processes.

Disable the test mode once the software is updated to work in 64-bit.
To disable the test mode:

1. Launch Terminal
  2. Execute the following command: sudo nvram boot-args=“”
  3. Restart the machine

Well Kevin, that fucked up my system - it won’t boot anymore. I had to do a full restore of my test boot partition.

In the meantime I can confirm the following:

• Compiled 64bit apps with Xojo 2017r3 are not showing the warnings (code signed or not)
  • Even a simple project that just uses the registration code line to unlock the MBS plugins does shows the warning. (Both code signed or not)
  • The warning only shows with latest macOS 10.13.4 beta

Can’t comment on that but that is what is in the 10.13.4 release notes from Apple.

I’ve just ran otool (-faL) on our application built with 2017r3 and I noticed Carbon was still referenced by the following:

/Frameworks/HTMLViewerCocoa.dylib
/Frameworks/InternetEncodings.dylib
/Frameworks/MBS_MacClassic_AppleScript_Plugin_19565.dylib
/Frameworks/MBS_MacOSX_MacOSX_Plugin_19565.dylib
/Frameworks/MBS_MacOSX_TextInputSource_Plugin_19565.dylib
/Frameworks/MBS_Util_Process_Plugin_19565.dylib
/Frameworks/AppearancePakCocoa.dylib
/Frameworks/MBS_Util_Window_Plugin_19565.dylib
/Frameworks/MBS_dynapdf3font_Plugin_18942.dylib
/Frameworks/REALSQLDatabase.dylib
/Frameworks/Shell.dylib
/Frameworks/fp Plugin64.dylib
/Frameworks/XojoFramework.framework/Versions/A/XojoFramework
/Contents/MacOS/MyApp

Could it be that Apple is checking for the presence of Carbon.framework - even if it is a weak linked?

I’ve just updated my High Sierra VM from 10.13.3 to 10.13.4 Beta 17E160e and I don’t get any warning when I launch our 64 bit app which was built with Xojo 2017r3 and MBS 17.2 (build 19341).

I do get the message (as expected) if I launch our 32 bit version built with RB and older MBS plugins.

Edit:
The 64 bit app was actually compiled using: MBS 18.1 (build 19567).

Just rebuilt our app using MBS 18.1 (build 19576) and gave it a different bundle identifier and we still don’t get the message.