forum.xojo.com routing issues?

1. 5 months ago

Christian W

Feb 10 Pre-Release Testers Los Angeles, CA

Hello,

I'm having difficulty using the forum. I can get forum.xojo.com url's to open for maybe about 5 seconds at a time, and then the domain seems to "go offline" for me for several minutes. The connection times out. I've tried multiple browsers, even multiple COMPUTERS on my home network. The only thing that works is connecting to a VPN and using the forum through a different endpoint, leading me to believe maybe there's a routing issue to between the host and my provider?

This has been happening for the past 3 days. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

It’s the multiple tabs causing problems. We’ve got a very aggressive firewall and depending on how fast you open them, the firewall may decide that you’re doing something bad.

2. Dave S

Feb 10 San Diego, California USA

Works find for me and I'm just a hundred or so miles south of you

3. Christian W

@Dave S Works find for me and I'm just a hundred or so miles south of you

It works if I connect via VPN to an office 5 minutes away! Something strange though for sure.

4. Peter J

is not verified Feb 10 KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
    Edited 5 months ago

I saw quite a lot of something similar - pages half loading then nothing - when our biggest telco screwed things up for several weeks. On Windows one had to disallow the control panel Proxy configuration "Automatically detect Settings" to get around it. I assume said telco was using an invisible proxy probably for cacheing.

5. Christian W

Edited 5 months ago

Here's what I see when I tried to view the new post that Peter just made, notice the other failed forum.xojo.com tabs as well. As soon as I connect to my VPN I can reload the tabs and they pop in just fine.

-image-

6. Greg O

Feb 10 Xojo Inc Answer Somewhere near Raleigh, NC

It’s the multiple tabs causing problems. We’ve got a very aggressive firewall and depending on how fast you open them, the firewall may decide that you’re doing something bad.

7. I encounter this issue one or two months ago. I don't know why, xojo.com seems can't be reached. I used tor to connect to this site.

8. Christian W

Edited 5 months ago

@Greg OLone It’s the multiple tabs causing problems. We’ve got a very aggressive firewall and depending on how fast you open them, the firewall may decide that you’re doing something bad.

This is certainly it. I ran into the same problem opening several pages concurrently on developer.xojo.com a few minutes ago. Xojo domains are the only place I experience this, but some sort of DOS protection makes a lot of sense to explain it.

I know I'm just one guy, but I can't be the only one who has browsing behavior like this. I do a google search and find some pages I'd like to read, Ctrl+Click them and open them all in new tabs, then by the time I get to each one, it's already loaded and ready-to-read. It also came out of habit with my terrible LTE Hotspot which drops connections every 2 minutes so I learned to manually pre-cache pages so I could still read for a while offline until it reconnected.

If I may humbly suggest you rethink the aggressiveness of your firewall or at least the algorithm it uses, I'm sure there are others that have fallen into this trap as well. Cheers, have a great weekend. :)

9. Julian S

Feb 10 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro UK

*cough*Cloudflare*Cough*

10. Tim P

Feb 10 Pre-Release Testers, XDC Speakers

Crimeflare**

11. Tim P

Feb 10 Pre-Release Testers, XDC Speakers

@Christian W I know I'm just one guy, but I can't be the only one who has browsing behavior like this. I do a google search and find some pages I'd like to read, Ctrl+Click them and open them all in new tabs, then by the time I get to each one, it's already loaded and ready-to-read. It also came out of habit with my terrible LTE Hotspot which drops connections every 2 minutes so I learned to manually pre-cache pages so I could still read for a while offline until it reconnected.

You aren't the only one who browses the forum like that. I have a bunch of tabs open usually. It seems that only a small population has troubles as you've described. I only know two other forum users who are vocal about their issues :/

12. Peter J

is not verified Feb 10 KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
    Edited 5 months ago

@Christian W I ran into the same problem opening several pages concurrently on developer.xojo.com a few minutes ago.

Strangely, developer.xojo.com will not load on Firefox (Win10) for me. All I get is the text 'Loading...', no spinning thing, nothing else. I don't use tabs. It loads fine on Chrome and Pale Moon ( variant of Firefox, slightly older release ).

Anyone else see this? Or have I disabled something to cause this?

[ Not a big deal really ]

13. Jeff T

Feb 10 Midlands of England, Europe

I get that now and then since January, but I only open one tab at a time.

14. Emile S

Feb 10 Europe (France, Strasbourg)
    Edited 5 months ago

I can open more than one Tab from the forum, but not for long time (just to read, eventually write an answer and I close the Tab(s) as fast as I can: there is an active connexion between my Tab and Xojo web server).
    I prefer to close tabs instead of keeping then open because of the traffic loads…

And I do not have trouble with it like the one you are talking (France, Strasbourg)

15. Christian W

Feb 11 Pre-Release Testers Los Angeles, CA

Update - today I can not load any pages at all from both forum.xojo.com and developer.xojo.com without vpn. It is as if my IP is blocked.

16. Julian S

Feb 11 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro UK

Sometimes is the simple things, tried a router/modem reboot?

17. Alberto D

Feb 11 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

I always open the main forum, see the new topics and open each new topic in a new tab. Sometimes I just open 3-4 but sometimes 10 or maybe more. I'm not trying to get blocked by the firewall, just the way I visit forums.

Now I know that maybe I get an error. I'll try to open less tabs from now on.

or Sign Up to reply!