Xojo Code Snippet Online Repository

Hi Folks,

I am currently in the final throws of putting together an online Xojo code snippet repository which I am hoping you will all contribute and benefit from.

My reason for doing so is that there are some very useful code snippets posted on the forum and it would be good to have all these in a dedicated repository. The functionality will be to search for keywords in categories. There will also be a category dedicated to cocoa and carbon declares which I am hoping will build up a great database of example code for people to utilise.

It will only work with everyones help. It is hoped that you will submit royalty free snippets of code (functions, subs etc), micro document them and allow other to search and use them.

I wanted to gauge the interest with this post and also before I launch the beta website (open to all, free) get any feature suggestions, wish lists etc. I am not guaranteeing that they will get included for first launch but they will be listed for future upgrades.

Comment away…

You might want to talk to the guy who runs http://www.xojodevspot.com/

Hmmm, seems it is no longer active. When I log in and click on download I get

“Notice: This domain name expired on 08/19/13 and is pending renewal or deletion”

Didn’t simulanics say something about “the domain is paid for for 20 years”???

Another good example why such things should probably be on public repositories like GitHub.

What’s the current status of ARBP?

"Due to a death in the family, I have been away from my region of the country and the community since Saturday and will return this Saturday proceeding all ceremonies. Some will have experienced downtime on the development web application servers and I apologize. Servere thunderstorms and tornados in the home area prompted the servers to begin an automatic backup and shutdown for self-preservation and protection of the datacenter when they received an automated notice from the emergency broadcast system. Servers will resume uptime again Saturday evening. You may continue to send your development questions and requests as usual, and I will answer or handle requests throughout the day as I have always. Thank you for your patience and keeping our family in your thoughts.

Simulanics"

I never liked that app. It has an awful GUI and crashed often.

After that message, no more news. It was at end of June.

I liked it and didn’t have a single crash. The gui wasn’t optimal but it was a sincere effort to help people with all kinds of example code and help instructions. I found it amazing that one person could, in such a short time, put op something that usefull and complex.

I am very sorry we don’t hear anything anymore from him! :frowning:

[quote=31846:@Andre Kuiper]
I am very sorry we don’t hear anything anymore from him! :([/quote]
Me too. He really like to help people out :slight_smile:

Yeah, I wonder about that too. Since Bob Keeney left his position as president of ARBP (March 9, 2012, http://www.bkeeneybriefs.com/2012/03/arbp-so-long-and-thanks-for-all-the-fish/) , things have dramatically gone wrong.
Before we had a website (i think made in yuma) that wasn’t regularly updated, and was apparently difficult to work with from a website maintainer’s point of view. The current leadership (no idea who they are) opted to start over so that they would have something that was easier to work with. As a result all the old stuff (code snippets, example projects…) is gone, and only a placeholder seems to be in place.
It now ways “Welcome to New Site. We are working diligently to get the new ARBP website up. Please be patient with us!” (http://www.arbpmembers.org/)
It has been like that for probaly the past year.
In the mean time they also managed to destroy RBGarage which they also took over. I know this was also not getting much love in the form of updates, but it had lots of interesting stuff, which is now gone. Instead it now says “ARBP Welcomes You. We hope you enjoy the latest version of RB Garage.” (http://www.arbpmembers.org/rbgarage/) This also has seens no movement in the past year.
I see that they still have an add in the latest issue of xDev. Is there any point in that? As far as I can tell ARBP is dead as a doornail.

[quote=31666:@Mike Charlesworth]I am currently in the final throws of putting together an online Xojo code snippet repository which I am hoping you will all contribute and benefit from.
I wanted to gauge the interest with this post and also before I launch the beta website (open to all, free) get any feature suggestions, wish lists etc.
Comment away…[/quote]
So far then, there is code scattered around the internet, some code and knowledge maybe has been lost (even if it is temporary) with some websites disappearing. Markus makes a good suggestion - GitHub (they offer free resource for open source projects). My take on this is that if you want it to really work then there has to be no commercial incentive for the creator(s), the ownership has to be a community ownership and the contributed code/ideas have to be completely free to use. If you can produce a website that indexes a large central open source repository and perhaps indexes other resources that are external to that repository and then open source the code for the website (if you had to write it) so it can be managed and recreated elsewhere if necessary then you have got the major obstacles covered.

[quote=31854:@Dirk Cleenwerck]
In the mean time they also managed to destroy RBGarage which they also took over. I know this was also not getting much love in the form of updates, but it had lots of interesting stuff, which is now gone. Instead it now says “ARBP Welcomes You. We hope you enjoy the latest version of RB Garage.” (http://www.arbpmembers.org/rbgarage/) This also has seens no movement in the past year.[/quote]

Seem like RBGarage is just fill with junks and spam… about handbag and stuff…

Will send my wife to take a look - I was wondering how I could get her more involved with my work :wink:

Ok. Well I will continue on with it and announce on the forum when it is launched. It seems from the posts that similar ventures have fallen by the wayside recently for whatever reason.

Regarding commercial incentive, I don’t have any intention to charge to use the online service.

Code will be royalty free use as submissions will be by subscribers and the terms of service will be exactly that any submission has the permission of the author for royalty free distribution.

I don’t intend at this stage indexing other resources/links on the Internet but this may be a consideration for the future.

You may ask why I want to do this? It is not a commercial venture but something I am developing in my spare time. Because I want to use it as it grows and fills with useful code snippets for my own resource base and hope others do. Because I see loads of useful code snippets on this forum over and over again which get buried in the depths of threads and would like to see them all in one place.

It may or may not be successful. My time lost if not but I will continue and hope that others agree with my idea and see the potential in this.

Had a reply from simulanics:

Could we just use Github?

as of right now (7am Pacific Time Friday 6Sep)… XOJODEVSPOT indicates “SITE DOWN”

I just added some functions that we use to github.

https://github.com/campsoftware/Xojo

can you tech us more?
may be we put a domain

You use Xojo, that has an awful GUI and crashes often.