Loglist

1. 9 months ago

In my program to greate a database, i have write a lot of methodes with a boolse return.
    Under teh eventhandler "Action" of a button, is the folowing code.

If MakeDataBase Then LogList.AddRow "DataBase OK"
             If MakeNameList Then LogList.AddRow "Namelist OK"
             If MakeCompagnylist Then LogList.AddRow "Compagnylist OK"

And so on.................
    After every methode ther should be a mesage into the Loglist, but the loglist is empty until the process, after all the methodes are fixed, the loglist is filled.
    What shall i do to have a step by step loglist?

2. Emile S

12 Jan 2018 Europe (France, Strasbourg)
    Edited 9 months ago

Refresh the Listbox one line at a time ?

http://docs.xojo.com/index.php/RectControl.RefreshRect

An this will slowdown the running stuff.

Edit: or put the code in a thread.

3. Beatrix W

12 Jan 2018 Pre-Release Testers Europe (Germany)

A thread will make a ThreadAccessingUIException. You will need to do the usual timer method - timer or no timer. Do you know what I mean?

4. Christian M

12 Jan 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Germany

Hello,
    in addition to what Beatrix wrote: In an app that uses a thread I do the following: The log-messages are appended to an array (let's call it MessageArray). A timer checks once every second if MessageArray.Ubund > -1. If the MessageArray is not empty, then every message from the array is appended to the listbox and the MessageArray is emptied again (Redim MessegeArray(-1))

5. Sascha S

12 Jan 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Germany/W'haven

@Christian Meacute;zes If the MessageArray is not empty, then every message from the array is appended to the listbox and the MessageArray is emptied again (Redim MessegeArray(-1))

Better pull the 0 item and then remove it from the array. With a ReDim in such a timer you could destroy objects which have been added between the EndIf and the ReDim. ;)

6. Hello Beatrix W, i don't no what you mean.
    Do you have a Example?

7. Sascha S

Edited 9 months ago

Add a Property to where it fit's in scope. A Property like "strLogEntry" as string.
    In a Thread you can add new Log Entries like If MakeDataBase Then strLogEntry.Append "DataBase OK".
    In your Timer you check if the upper bound of your strLogEntry Array is > -1.
    If the upper bound is > -1 then pull the 1st object of the strLogEntry and add it to the ListBox. Right afterwards, you remove the 1st entrie from strLogEntry (strLogEntry.Remove(0)).

BTW: I can't offer Code. Not at my Desk... :(

8. Jared F

12 Jan 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Milwaukee, WI

Check out the examples included with Xojo:

.../Example Projects/Desktop/UpdatingUIFromThread

9. Christian M

@SaschaSchneppmueller Better pull the 0 item and then remove it from the array. With a ReDim in such a timer you could destroy objects which have been added between the EndIf and the ReDim. ;)

Thanks, that is a very good suggestion! Now I did it this way:

dim theUbound as Integer
    dim i as Integer

theUbound = MessageArray.Ubound

// check if there are new entries in the array
    if theUbound = -1 then
      // nothing to do, exit the method
      Return
    end if

// add the new entries from the array to the listbox
    for i = 0 to theUbound
      Listbox_LogList.Addrow(MessageArray(i))
    next

// remove the already listed entries from the array
    for i = theUbound DownTo 0
      MessageArray.Remove(i)
    next
  10. Christian M

@Hans R Hello Beatrix W, i don't no what you mean.
    Do you have a Example?

You can create an array MessageArray(-1) of type String. Now you can for example write:
    MessageArray.Append("DataBase OK") or MessageArray.Append("Namelist OK").

You also need to add Timer to your LogList-Window. In the Action-event of the Timer you can enter the code I posted above to display the messages in a listbox.

11. Sascha S

Just be aware that, if there are „too many“ items in the array, pulling them all within 1 timer cycle can lead to a „freezing“ ui.

I recommend to pull just 1 for each timer cycle until the „jobs which fill the array“ are done. :)

Remember: Timers run in the Main Thread ;)

12. Christian M

Hello Sascha, thanks for the suggestion. Currently my log list displays 5 to 30 entries every couple of minutes (most of the time the messages come from a thread), so the UI will never freeze in that app because of the logging ;-) I currently set the timer to fire only once per second because I also update some UI elements with that timer in my log-window (and I do not want to update the UI too often), so I think I will leave it that way.
    But I see that the method you describe (see below) is far better suited for more demanding log-systems (wich have to deal with way more entries than my example) when used with a timer with a short period.

// check if there are entries in the array
    if MessageArray.Ubound = -1 then
    // nothing to do, exit the method
    Return
    end if

// add the first entry from the array to the listbox
    Listbox_LogList.Addrow(MessageArray(0))

// remove the already listed first array object from the array
    MessageArray.Remove(0)
  13. Sascha S

@Christian Meacute;zes I currently set the timer to fire only once per second

Why not start the Timer only when things change? You can start a Timer from a Thread without raising a ThreadAccessingUIException. That would reduce the CPU fingerprint even more. :)

or Sign Up to reply!