How come I don't have an EndOfLine here?

I have this text hard-coded into the open area of a textarea that uses the following text. I also have a line of code that uses Instr to identify an Endofline, but doesn’t find it. When I go into to the binary, I only have 0d. This project works fine on a Mac. How come?

[quote]me.Text = “(??) real; genuine; authentic”_//18

• EndOfLine + “1. (??) real; genuine; authentic”_
  • EndOfLine + “??? real; genuine; authentic”_
  • EndOfLine + “?? ??? Is this a real thing? Is this a genuine article?”_
  • EndOfLine + “?? ? ??? ??? ? ???, I thought the story was real.”_
  • EndOfLine + “2. (??) really, very, truly, (Am, inf) real, (formal) indeed”_
  • EndOfLine + “?? ?? ??? I’m really[very] hungry. I’m starving.”_
  • EndOfLine + “??? ? ?? ? ?? These artificial flowers are really lifelike.”_
  • EndOfLine + “? ??? ?? ??? This movie is just dead[plain; really] boring.”_
  • EndOfLine + “?? ?? ??? ??? He is truly remarkable.”
    [/quote]
ptVal = InStr(me.Text, EOL)//  EOL is coded as a Get computed property.

Stuff Project

You need to replace line endings before comparing anything for line endings because of platform differences.

dim sTest as String = "whatever"
sTest = ReplaceLineEndings(sTest, EndOfLine.UNIX)
if InStr(sTest, EndOfLine.UNIX) > 0 then
  // EOL was true
else
 // EOL was false
end

Even though it is hardcoded as Endofline?

I also have another problem with fonts and Windows. The Asian language font does not appear as TimeNewRoman but as something uhm malformed.

EndOfLine is a method from Xojo that figures out the platform and the correct line ending setup and returns the proper string.

Always use EndOfLine (aka never hardcode your own computed property EOL) and ReplaceLineEndings to something you can predict before trying to do comparisons (I tend to lean toward EndOfLine.UNIX)

I do not know about your fonts issue, @Michel Bujardet might though.

Thanks about EOL. I don’t use it this way so everything else works. I’ll post this as another question /project so others might answer.

Found the problem with the font. I found in Windows Character Map a dropdown for character set. It will show most of the characters in a script set. I had the wrong font.

TextArea does not use the platform EOL marker. It always uses CR on all platforms.

Thanks. I couldn’t figure my bug out. It makes sense now.