New kid in town

Hi all,
I recently found the XOJO programming language, and I have to admit that I liked the whole style from the first moment.
May be because I am hobbyist C++ programmer many years and I have experience in wxWidgets framework which, in my opinion, has similar approach on app development.
So, I would like to make my first question: in which object the ‘quit()’ method does it belong?

You might see that just by typing Quit in a method and hover you mouse over it, youll see where it belongs to on the bottom status bar.

Out of my head, Quit() is global to Xojo.

in most cases you won’t use QUIT
place

app.AutoQuit=True

in the APP OPEN event
and the program will quit automatically by calling the CANCELCLOSE and CLOSE events when the last window of the program closes

There may be other circumstances where you DON’T want to to this, but I’d say 90% of my programs do.

Thank you, I tried to find in the documentation an index file for the global methods, without success.

It states ‘REALBasic’

Welcome to the club :slight_smile:

Xojo is the new name of the language, which had been Real Basic since the end of the nineties.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xojo

The first issue of Xojo was 2013R1.

Indeed there are some similarities in the structure with C++. The big advantage of Xojo being to do away with braces, since each event or method is its own entity, with its own editor. Underneath, though, it is quite the same functions and subs.

[quote=366033:@George Papadopoulos]Thank you, I tried to find in the documentation an index file for the global methods, without success.

It states ‘REALBasic’[/quote]

Yes that’s the old “Global” name. Any methods and properties with that in front can be accessed without the ‘REALbasic’ prefix in front.

As @Dave S says;
When all your windows close, the application (App class) will raise the close event too if you have set App.AutoQuit = True.
It defaults to True, so when all windows are closed, the application will close too.

read more here: The Desktop ‘Application’ Class, super class of ‘App’

You might wanna run some of the Xojo examples that are coming with the installation. Using File > New Project > Examples.

Here you might find the user guides, which will guide you trough creating an application and working with Xojo.
And the documentation here: The new framework documentation

Here you will find the Classic documentation / language reference showing the content of each class you are able to access.
The standard framework documentation; Xojo Classic documentation

On Windows perhaps, but not macOS

true, on macos it defaults to false.

Xojo also automatically supplies a File -> Quit menu handler, so in most cases, you don’t have to worry about calling Quit explicitly.

Thank you all.
It seems that you are a very friendly, and a community ready for help.