exe with included resources

Hello,
here I have some own generated and protected pictures and fonts, which I use in a Windows application.
This application I will promote to other people.
Now it is a problem because this pictures and fonts are freely available in resources folder.

How I could protect or include these resources inside exe-file ?

For quickly response a lot of thanks.

Dieter

Drop the images (and Fonts ?) in the Project Navigator ?

Older versions of Xojo used to embed resources into the executable but that was changed to write out a separate resource folder.
You would have to build with an older version to get the functionality you require. Please note that if you are also building for Mac the resources are written out individually inside the Mac package and there is nothing you can do to prevent that.

Potential Solutions…

1. You could encrypt the important resources and get your code to read the encrypted files, decrypt them and keep the resources either in memory or write them out to a temporary area with random names.

2. Store them in a Virtual Volume.

3. Store them in an encrypted SQLite Database.

For Windows, do you recall the Xojo version # when the change occured ?

For Mac, it is like that since… ages.

You could consider using a third party product like BoxedApp Packer.
It’s also promoted on the Xojjo website.

Another solution is to store each file as a constant containing a base64 encoded of the file. Upon use, decodebase64 and save the file in a subfolder of Temp, for instance.

[quote=365024:@Joost Rongen]You could consider using a third party product like BoxedApp Packer.
It’s also promoted on the Xojjo website.[/quote]
seems a nice app but hey, come on ? $399 ???

You could make it harder by using a VirtualVolume.

http://documentation.xojo.com/index.php/VirtualVolume

It’s listed as $299 on Xojo’s website

That page also lists Smart Packer Pro X at $115

BTW: Norton protect report BoxedApp website as malicious. If someone from that company see this, you may want to fix it.

An author of BoxedApp here.

Just approached your post and just checked on norton website: Safeweb

It seems now it’s ok, here what I got:

We always have a special offer for those who are verified purchaser of Xojo. Contact BoxedApp support please.

I did this once where I had all resources already as base64 because they were loaded in a static webpage that had to be single file. A side effect is that the resources were not available, which worked a treat. It can be used for any resources, too. A nice side effect.

I’d recommend also obfuscating the base64 somewhat so it’s not searchable in the binary either using “strings”, which may be important depending on the sensitivity of what’s in there.