never mind

Here’s a basic, really basic, question: I recall writing an old program sometime ago that I would like to read again and recall how I coded that problem. Turns out it was created in Feb 2000. On the Mac the “Get Info” screen shows the file kind as " Real Studio.app Document" .

Is there anyway to open the old file and read the code? The oldest version that I seem to have readily available is “Real Studio 2012 Release 1”. It seems to open the file, but everything is essentially blank.

Thanks

Try a subject line a little more accurate to attract engineers.
Something like: Help, I can’t open Real Studio document from 2000 in Real Studio 2012

It would show a little more of the technical summary on the main list for people to see.

(You can change the thread subject by clicking on it as the author)

not sure how Tim’s “suggestion to make the topic more relevant” constiutes “an answer”

I was just trying to help get someone who knows the process. I recall this issue came up recently, but I can’t find it. The person needed to contact customer service to get RealBasic 5 or 6 or something to begin the process.

IIRC an engineer had said that the current IDE should be able to open the old project files, but it clearly hadn’t.

It’d be nice to ensure that the IDE can open these old files, so the attention of an engineer or a feedback case is probably best for this situation.

if you’re ok send it to me with private mail I will open with intermediate versions to get the full code.
Norman would say that it’s not normal and xojo should open old files, but you have another example of what can happen …

Tim, thanks for the advice… changed to title to "Convert old versions for extracting former examples " or “Covfefe” for short.

Jean-Yves: Thanks for the very kind offer, but in the interim, I dug an old mac out of the garage that still had the original app, with code and RealBasic running! Actually, it was something akin to an archeological dig.

Perhaps the LONG description might work better?

No, Craig is just being a dick.

and that never gets a solution, at least not around here

Really Tim, what did Graig say or do that justifies such rudeness?

Even I understood what he was asking and I’m a newbie.

[quote=364969:@Scott Cadillac]Really Tim, what did Graig say or do that justifies such rudeness?

Even I understood what he was asking and I’m a newbie.[/quote]

I don’t believe Tim is saying otherwise per the description, but his comment was directed at the vague title and its changing to an even more useless, vague title, making this whole thread mostly unsearchable and pointless. Its frustrating when a request for clarity is answered with less clarity and, in the end, is a blatant waste of time.

Can this thread be locked?

I suggested a more specific title because it helps on many different aspects. I was met with rudeness in the form of political references designed to start a flame war. I’m the bad guy.

[quote=364994:@Michel Bujardet]There is no way I know of to open such an ancient file in current VB. Net. The best you can do is install Windows XP in a virtual machine such as the free virtualbox.org, then install VB6 inside so you can open your old project.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/ms788229.aspx
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa662927.aspx

In comparison, a Real Basic project from 2000 opens in current Xojo.

BTW, may I suggest you change the title to “Open VB Project from 2000”.[/quote]

Am I misunderstanding here - I saw no mention of VB?? Either I have been smoking something funny or Michel has. :wink:

I didn’t see the original title either - don’t know what it was. But I did read this:

Not sure if it actually got changed to that, but I did find it very inventive and rather amusing and not directed at anyone.

Sorry for the mixup. Title is quite adequate. Never mind.

I read “never mind” as title and Michel as last writer. Then I open it thinking Michel did have problem and/or exaperation. Effectivly it’s another problem which has nothing to do with what I was thinking.
Problem solved, then it’s ok.

I use RealBasic since RB 5.5 I think but I open and save my projects not each version, but nearly.
I keep some old projects, I will try to open them just to see.

Edit : I just opened an old project from January 2005. I look at the code and all seems to be fine. I can’t run it, too many pictures, songs, etc. are missing.

One of my products currently in the MAS was created back in 2002 with Real Basic. I opened the project flawlessly in Xojo 2013R1 and placed it in the MAS at the time with minor modifications.