Is it worth trying again with iOS?

Over the many years since Xojo announced a ‘compatible’ iOS builder, I have been disappointed by the delivered tool.
The language (new framework) is not what we were led to expect and feels more difficult. (Much discussion elsewhere, no point re-iterating here)

So assuming I suck it up and try anyway, here are the things that seem to be difficulties/blockers for me.
Im wondering if anything has changed recently, as I seem to have been ‘checking back’ for years.

a/ When Xcode updates, Xojo stops working. (requires Xcode 8… there is a workaround of sorts that requires Xcode 8 to be reinstalled)
b/ No such thing as RGBSurface.GetPixel(x,y) or Graphics.getpixel(x,y) . There was a workaround for 32bit, none for 64 bit. This is a MAJOR blocker for me. Without this, no point me even opening the IDE.
c/ No PDF support
d/ No plugins - (much of my desktop code uses MBS items and wont ‘just translate to new framework’)

ps: the ‘workaround’ for not being able to debug apps after Xcode 9, doesn’t work for me.

I have renamed Xcode to Xcode9
Installed Xcode 8
Can open simulator, can run a sample Swift app
Xojo refuses to start a debug session.

I have seen an old post that used declares to achieve it: that stopped working in 64 bit and hasn’t been updated.

I literally have no code. I was serious about not even opening the IDE while it is missing.
Every time I try to dip a toe into iOS with Xojo, I run into something that makes me just give up within the hour.
Today, since I cannot even start a one line “Hello World” app, it’s very depressing.

I can only assume that anyone trying the evaluation version of Xojo hits the same issue and just walks away.

[quote=364068:@Jeff Tullin]I have seen an old post that used declares to achieve it: that stopped working in 64 bit and hasn’t been updated.

I literally have no code. I was serious about not even opening the IDE while it is missing.
Every time I try to dip a toe into iOS with Xojo, I run into something that makes me just give up within the hour.
Today, since I cannot even start a one line “Hello World” app, it’s very depressing.

This might be the Pixel code you are looking for.
Available in iOSWrapper https://github.com/Mitchboo/XojoiOSWrapper

Direct link to code: https://github.com/Mitchboo/XojoiOSWrapper/blob/master/Wrapper.xojo_code#L415

Thank you!

[quote=364062:@Jean-Paul Devulder]I have a class for generate pdf and display (ios 11), write pm

Can you post your code ?[/quote]

Hello Jean-Paul Devulder, Can you please give us more details about that ? I`m as well very interested in that.

Thanks,

Aurelian.

[quote=364039:@Jeff Tullin]Over the many years since Xojo announced a ‘compatible’ iOS builder, I have been disappointed by the delivered tool.
The language (new framework) is not what we were led to expect and feels more difficult. (Much discussion elsewhere, no point re-iterating here)

So assuming I suck it up and try anyway, here are the things that seem to be difficulties/blockers for me.
Im wondering if anything has changed recently, as I seem to have been ‘checking back’ for years.

a/ When Xcode updates, Xojo stops working. (requires Xcode 8… there is a workaround of sorts that requires Xcode 8 to be reinstalled)
b/ No such thing as RGBSurface.GetPixel(x,y) or Graphics.getpixel(x,y) . There was a workaround for 32bit, none for 64 bit. This is a MAJOR blocker for me. Without this, no point me even opening the IDE.
c/ No PDF support
d/ No plugins - (much of my desktop code uses MBS items and wont ‘just translate to new framework’)[/quote]

Well you are not the only one,

I keep on buying the Pro version even if I don’t need it just for this but unfortunately its kind of useless for the moment, I guess it will be more mature in few more years, I see a lot of issues with it, the very basic implemented only and the rest the lovely forum dev`s that post from time to time so sad indeed, they announced that Android is coming so I assume that you will be able to natively use XOJO for those platforms in about 3, 4 years from now , unless they focus as well on that part.

So I open the split view example and run it.
It opens as a phone in master view. I can’t change this, even though I want to target iPad only
I click a row, I get a detail view.
I click back, and it’s master.
I click Info button and it shuts down.
Hmmm

Xojo for iOS isn’t perfect, but when you know the Xojo language it only takes a few days to get used to the new framework.

To get things straight, Xojo isn’t just a TipCalculator framework for iOS. Perhaps some things aren’t possible like AR / VR / Advanced Gaming multi-threading possibilities.
But we still have some wonderful apps that have been made for iOS with Xojo:

https://itunes.apple.com/fr/app/learn-lightroom-cc-retouching-edition/id511667667?mt=8

When working on iOS I highly recommend using iOSKit by Jason King: GitHub - kingj5/iOSKit
This free and open-source set of classes extends a 1000x the features of Xojo iOS.

If you want an app to load in the iPad simulator, you need to select it:
Xojo Navigator > Build Settings > iOS > Inspector > iOS Debugging > Simulator Device

I have just reported the SplitView crash to the Xojo team: <https://xojo.com/issue/50807>
When using iOSKit, you can check if the code is running on an iPad with this simple command:

if isIPad then

Thats interesting.
I didn’t describe it that way, but I can see where the impression stems from.