Feedback a dud on Ubuntu 16.04 64bit MATE ??

I installed the Feedback app onto my 64bit Ubuntu box aaaaand DUD.

I see a brief flash of a screen but that’s it.

Bug?

You probably need to install an older 32 bit version from the archives that uses GTK2 instead of the latest which requires GTK3 the same as the 64 bit IDE does

The new IDE I have unpackaged and it works great so far.

The new IDE was not installed from package - it was simply unzipped and is in use.

Whereas. Feedback was installed via .deb package.

Amy

looks like there could be a missing dependency

npalardy@ubuntu:/opt/xojo/feedback$ ./Feedback
Could not load libWebKit
Could not load libGtkHTML

ah
running this again

sudo apt-get install libc6:i386 libncurses5:i386 libstdc++6:i386 libglib2.0-0:i386 libsoup2.4-1:i386 libgtk-3-0:i386 libwebkitgtk-3.0-0:i386

i see there IS a dependency that wont result in the package being installed

libwebkitgtk-3.0-0:i386 is already the newest version (2.4.11-0ubuntu0.1).
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 xojofeedback : Depends: libwebkitgtk-1.0-0 (>= 1.0.0) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

And that means feedback wont start
Running

sudo apt-get -f install

corrects this and Feedback then DOES start

This is on an absolutely brand new (literally in the time between my posts here I set up a brand new 16.04.3 64 bit VM) and the only thing I have installed is feedback
I dont even have Xojo on it yet :slight_smile:

Huh - I just used your code as supplied above and got this result [see Twitter pic link]

https://twitter.com/RealMakersInc/status/939609404823035907

:frowning: Feedback still doesn’t work.

Oh I did do more than just what I posted
I ran all the updates listed on
http://developer.xojo.com/system-requirements$64-bit%20Configuration

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libc6:i386 libncurses5:i386 libstdc++6:i386 libglib2.0-0:i386 libsoup2.4-1:i386 libgtk-3-0:i386 libwebkitgtk-3.0-0:i386

and when feedback still wouldn’t work I reran that steps as noted above
I just assumed you had to have already done this

In total I did

1. set up VM
  2. downloaded Feedback.deb file
  3. installed deb file
  4. ran
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get -f install

and answered Y to all prompts to let them proceed

1. at this point the install of the previous deb did NOT require me to reinstall - I suppose I could have

Hi Amy,
I am having the same problem as you. i use Linux Mint 18.2 MATE which is nearly identical to your OS.
my thread for this issue is “feedback utility not working on linux mint 18.2 64bit with xojo2017r3”

i’m confused about one thing. it says Norman commented on this topic but i don’t see his comments

nice to know i’m not the only one. let me know if you find anything out.

also a side note. i am noticing a memory leak with the IDE that manifests itself by running the debugger over and over. eventually you will see that the amount of memory the IDE is using just keeps going up and up until simply typing some code or copy and paste is painfully slow. this happens with any of the Xojo supplied samples as well. curious if you notice the same. i will probably start a new thread for this. however, what i was trying to do was submit a feedback case but can’t get feedback working.
Jeff

I wondered why my installation had gotten a bit slower. I was thinking maybe I was imagining things.

I have emailed Xojo support and suggest you do the same so they have two of us on dock – productsupport@xojo.com

Include in your email “Feedback a Dud:” and put your OS in - “Feedback a Dud: Linux Mint 18.2 MATE”

It looks like the MATE environment is lacking something needed to run any Xojo .DEP pkg based installs BUT a tarball unpackaged will run just fine.