Migrate source code from Windows to Linux

  1. last week

    Mattias S

    Dec 6 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Sweden, Stockholm)

    I have several projects that I have been maintaining in the Windows IDE. The projects are saved as Xojo Project.
    I want to migrate this to the Linux IDE so I did a Collect Project Items and just moved the directory over to Linux. I have now been experiencing some weird stuff with disappearing items from the Project Tree and code missing here and there in defined Events.I cannot reliable reproduce this or find a solution so I'm still on Windows.

    Could it be line-breaks acting up (differs between Linux and Windows) when I move the project over? Should I perhaps use Git (that converts line-breaks to the platform native code)?

  2. Tim P

    Dec 6 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

    Are you using R3?

  3. Mattias S

    Dec 6 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Sweden, Stockholm)

    Not, yet - that's part of the migration effort. 2017r1.1 is the IDE I have been working in on Windows and I have installed that on Linux to be on the same. Will test to open the project in r3 on Linux.

  4. Tim P

    Dec 6 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

    Ah, okay, that would have been my first (only) guess because of all the data loss during the beta. I'm still waiting to see how R3 unfolds with regard to that before changing IDE versions.

  5. Norman P

    Dec 6 Xojo Inc

    @Mattias Söm Could it be line-breaks acting up (differs between Linux and Windows) when I move the project over? Should I perhaps use Git (that converts line-breaks to the platform native code)?

    Unlikely since we do read the entire manifest & translate line endings all at once
    I'd be curious to see this project IF YOU CAN SHARE to see what is occurring

  6. Mattias S

    Dec 6 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Sweden, Stockholm)

    OK - got this over correctly. Used Git to check it in on WIndows and then check out on Linux.
    I noticed that I had several items (some module and one class) containing the letter "ä" the filenames were not correct after transferring to Linux. Fixing that solved the problem and all items are in 2017r1.1 on Linux and I will now start the migration to r3.

  7. Emile S

    Dec 6 Europe (France, Strasbourg)

    Remember:

    US product are (usually) tested using ASCII (not UTF-8); most of the people does not know about what character(s) can be typed using the Option / Option-Shift keys. They know what is prnted in their keyboard, not very more.

    If I was you, I will start to remove all non ASCII in the project (and all associated) files.

    Then, and then only, I will move the project to Linux, and test them.

    Of course, only when I start to get troubles I cannot explain and after I cleared the cache folder, etc.

    BTW: This message is not a rant nor a pun intended to anyone. It just states my own experience in this industry since the early 1980.

or Sign Up to reply!