DNS & IP question

I understand (basically) how the name servers work. But I have a two part question. Depending on the answer to the first part the second part may be moot.

Can I register 2 Domain names then point them to the same IP address (Xojo Cloud server)

If I can, then when the page loads, can I tell which domain name was used to get there?

What I am ultimately trying to get to is to have 2 unrelated Xojo Web apps running on the same Xojo Cloud server, then load the appropriate app depending on the source of the request. The only other option I can think of is to have an index.html page load with a couple buttons to select which app to load - but that obviously opens some ugly doors.

[quote=363118:@Bill Plunkett]I understand (basically) how the name servers work. But I have a two part question. Depending on the answer to the first part the second part may be moot.

Can I register 2 Domain names then point them to the same IP address (Xojo Cloud server)[/quote]

Yes

[quote=363118:@Bill Plunkett]

If I can, then when the page loads, can I tell which domain name was used to get there?

What I am ultimately trying to get to is to have 2 unrelated Xojo Web apps running on the same Xojo Cloud server, then load the appropriate app depending on the source of the request. The only other option I can think of is to have an index.html page load with a couple buttons to select which app to load - but that obviously opens some ugly doors.[/quote]

I do not believe Xojo Cloud supports virtual hosts (virtual domain hosting).

Also the raw headers in a Xojo Web app does not expose the first line of an HTTP request so you cannot do it yourself.

You will be forced to use the selection buttons.

An alternative might be use HTTP redirection at your domain registrar. Since your domain registrar is likely to be your DNS provider (Xojo Cloud does not provide DNS service) you would keep the name server pointed at the registrar. You would then create domain A/CNAME records pointing to your Xojo Cloud servers.

Some DNS services at some registers support web forwarding or HTTP redirection. You might be able to create two subdomains that point to the two different apps on your Xojo Cloud server.

Thanks Phillip…

Happy to help.