URGENT: High Sierra - Change 'root' Password

1. ‹ Older
  2. 2 weeks ago

Michel B

Dec 1 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

No matter how you look at it, the Apple platform has much more built in than Windows. I guess porting Ohanaware products to Windows would require tons of libraries that may not even exist, if they would be accessible from Xojo yet.

Our big problem is that Cook does not sell computers, but appliances. Contrary to Steve, he does not seem to believe computers will change the world, and is more interested in dollars than philosophy. He probably considers programmers a necessary evil, preferably used internally and not to be trusted outside of the spaceship.

I agree about the Mac community not being anymore that tight. Which is a pity.

3. Emile S

Dec 2 Europe (France, Strasbourg)

Remember:

a. we do not know how Apple’s Engineers works.
    I mean: how many times did they have to make a new macOS version ?

b. we do not know what Apple goals are…
    Pushing what they called Macintosh (hardware) as litlte as necessary to be sold and put all their eggs in other OS / Hardware ?

etc.

The ellapsed time between two major OS updates have nothing to do in the result.

I recall when I was working at Apple France people always told me “I do not understand Apple ‘Politics’” (what are Apple Targets). I was working there and I do not understand that too, even when I knew what hardware / software will come in the next 6 months / 1 year. So, when I see what happens nowadays…

Making a fundamental change in the window’s green button after 30 years, is IMHO just a Senior VP decision (for example). And after some years, I still click in the wrong button (that f… green button) from time to time.

And I do not talk about 10.2 / 10.3 bug that is (are) still there in 10.3… that hurts me everyday. *

* To not suffer from this bug, I only have to get a brand new computer and never ever access to my data (via Hard Disk, CD / DVD / BluRay, MemoryStick, SD, etc.) from the last 25 years.
    Easy.

4. Michel B

Dec 2 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

Well, we no longer have to worry about Apple plans concerning macOS, there is no more any team, everything is under iOS.

Talking about appliances :/

5. Eli O

is not verified Dec 2 Europe (Berlin, Germany)

@Michel B Our big problem is that Cook does not sell computers, but appliances. Contrary to Steve, he does not seem to believe computers will change the world, and is more interested in dollars than philosophy. He probably considers programmers a necessary evil, preferably used internally and not to be trusted outside of the spaceship.

Jobs was not a programmer, he never wrote any code, he was a manager. To him computer were appliances as much as to Cook, if not even more. Cook seems to have programmed along the way of his career: he fell for Swift and allowed it – Jobs would never had allowed to replace the (relative) simplicity of Objective-C with the complexity of Swift...

6. Phillip Z

Dec 2 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Florence, SC
    Edited 2 weeks ago

@Sam R I am not a religious person, I am guided by my emotions (this is an admission).

When I can do what I want and the tools I use are dependable, I love my job. When the tools I use are no longer a priority and problems are allowed to creep in, and causes me frustration on a regular basis, I become frustrated. When these tools can no longer be depended on and need restarting on a regular basis or trouble-shooting (eating into my hours a day to create things), I get down right pissed off.

Heartfelt response and interesting read. I think a lot of developers feel the same way. It is troubling when things are made more difficult for some shadowy future we are unaware of.

Many of my concerns about Xojo in recent blog posts stems from this same idea. I do not doubt their ability to innovate or bring forward new ideas. Most important however is the stuff that you do ship needs to be rock solid. When it is not you need to take a step back and make sure that it is.

I believe and perhaps you do too is that Apple does not really care about third party developers so long as they exist. Ultimately it breaks down to some Business 101.

Apple wants to sell hardware therefore they must commoditize the software. This allows them to sell the best hardware that also happens to have the largest app ecosystem. Apple would PREFER it if all macOS/iOS software was free. Absolutely.

I am sure Apple is pleased that they pay out so many billions via App Store and they are pleased that they get to work on a platform that feeds so many families around the World. They would be more pleased if they kept that billion dollars and app developers found another way to feed themselves while still buying their hardware.

Microsoft wants to sell software (and services) and therefore they must commoditize the hardware. Their ambition is to have Windows and Azure and Office available on every device. They would prefer hardware was free minus the software licensing fees so that more customers would use their software. Apple charging ridiculous amounts for Macs and iOS devices makes it harder for Microsoft to sell office 365 subscriptions.

I am sure Microsoft is pleased that they enable so many hardware manufacturers to make billions selling hardware. They would be more pleased if they received a bigger cut of those billions by allowing every person on Earth to have low cost hardware that could run Microsoft software.

When you evaluate their incentive structure it is no surprise that Apple does not care how hard you have to work at photo software. So long as there are 400 different photo packages available at low cost then their hardware still stands to benefit.

7. Ulrich B

Dec 2 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Germany, Berlin) · xo...

As a sidenote: I set up a password for the root user (Thanks a lot for bringing up that topic here, @Phillip!), I installed the emergency bug fixes and now (on macOS 10.13.1) am not able to create another user account. Which really sucks when you need different background and resolutions for videos …
    Anyone else seeing this?

8. Jean-Paul D

Dec 2 Pre-Release Testers

another nice bug

here:

9. Michel B

Dec 2 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro
    Edited 2 weeks ago

@Eli O Jobs was not a programmer, he never wrote any code, he was a manager. To him computer were appliances as much as to Cook, if not even more. Cook seems to have programmed along the way of his career: he fell for Swift and allowed it – Jobs would never had allowed to replace the (relative) simplicity of Objective-C with the complexity of Swift...

Someone does not need to be a programmer to understand the implications and the influence of computing on human intellect. Actually it is probably better not to know the nitty gritty to have a real sense of the product.

Actually, as a manager, Steve was not that good, would that be his flat disregard for profit, or his famous anger bursts.

Job was much more than a manager. He had a real sense of the products, and real ambitions for them that went much beyond simple sales figures. He was demanding enough on the products to make them as good as technically possible, and obsessive enough to make them aesthetically near perfect (at the time). I wonder the kind of screams he would have yelled at engineers for the iOS X notch on top of the screen.

Steve Jobs was a hippie, and had quite a philosophical purpose for his products.

10. Eli O

is not verified Dec 3 Europe (Berlin, Germany)
    Edited 2 weeks ago

@Michel B would that be his flat disregard for profit,

C'mon. Making Apple as successful as possible was not his goal? And he even cheated on business partners all the way from the beginning (Wozniak and Wayne).

@Michel B his famous anger bursts.

There is no relation to being a good or bad manager. Anger bursts are just inappropriate and embarrassing, that's all.

@Michel B He had a real sense of the products, and real ambitions for them that went much beyond simple sales figures. He was demanding enough on the products to make them as good as technically possible, and obsessive enough to make them aesthetically near perfect (at the time).

Others did that too decades earlier (Dieter Rams for BRAUN who Jobs often quoted – after Ive had introduced him to Rams' Good design" principles). It should be the standard for every business producing appliances.

@Michel B Job was more than a manager.

The "guru" part was clever self-marketing. You could also say he was a dictator, cruel, abusive, etc.

@Michel B Steve Jobs was a hippie

Not true at all. Again clever self-marketing. S_e_x, drugs, and Rock'n'Roll? Nope. Hanging around a year in a hippie commune and then traveling to India for seeking enlightenment does not make you a hippie. It just shows that you have enough money. He was clever enough to declare that as his "forming years"... All he might got have from this time is a shorter life. And by the way, why should being a hippie be something positive? For some 'enlightenment' I recommend Frank Zappa & The Mothers - Who Needs the Peace Corps...

@Michel B and had quite a philosophical purpose for his products.

Pompous BS this was – and I'm not speaking of the Stevenotes, written by pros and over days trained like if he was a stand-up comedian – whenever he spoke freely about him and his work, you realize that he was quite a mediocre thinker.

Jobs was really a genius in self-marketing. And a genius in abusing people inferior to him – which he called "motivating" his employees. And he was only good at it when he alone had the power. Just surround yourself with people who cannot become dangerous to you and who will not stand up against you. That's relatively easy. Unfortunately these people – now running Apple – are slowly ruining it – especially Ive and Federighi. They are just not good enough – and that is his legacy!

11. Oliver O

Dec 3 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro https://seminar.pro

@Jean-PaulDevulder another nice bug

here:

I noticed this month-13- log-flooding as well , and I spent some time searching in my own code...

12. Michel B

Dec 3 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro
    Edited 2 weeks ago

Eli, you have absolutely no idea what it was to grow up in America at the time Steve Jobs was in College. No need to call BS what obviously you don't understand. Lack of common references, I guess.

I don't know where your hatred comes from, but you don't need to insult more of his memory. Let us stop right here, please.

13. Dave S

Dec 3 San Diego, California USA

@Eli O Jobs would never had allowed to replace the (relative) simplicity of Objective-C with the complexity of Swift...

You have that statement backwards.... Swift is as powerful (if not more-so) that ObjC, and the learning curve is SO MUCH shorter

14. Eli O

is not verified Dec 3 Europe (Berlin, Germany)
    Edited 2 weeks ago

Michel and Dave: you both cannot accept different opinions. In every other thread. Do you have a social life and social skills at all?

15. Dave S

Dec 3 San Diego, California USA

@Eli O Michel and Dave: you both cannot accept different opinions. In every other thread. Do you have a social life and social skills at all?

And for what reason are you insulting both Michel and myself?
    I expressed a simple opinon that Swift is easier to learn than ObjC, and is as powerful...
    What ever does that have to do with any other thread, social life and/or social skills?

16. Michel B

Dec 3 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro
    Edited 2 weeks ago

Eli, could you please tone down your aggressivity ? We are real human beings, and don't deserve to be treated the way you do, because we have the misfortune not to bow to your opinions.

Actually, this is getting not only out of hands, but also out of topic big time.

Admins, please lock this thread !

BTW : muting Eli Ott. I frankly do not need more insults.

17. last week

Phillip Z

Dec 3 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Florence, SC

Tensions get high with a good old root exploit.

Personal issues aside I do recall Steve Jobs himself saying he was a hippie.

He was cruel to some people for sure but not everyone. He lead a team that made great products for sure but not every product was great.

18. Oliver O

Dec 3 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro https://seminar.pro

This thread went way off-topic and I request to close it.

19. Sam R

Dec 3 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Hengchun, Pingtung, Taiwan
    Edited last week

@Dave S You have that statement backwards.... Swift is as powerful (if not more-so) that ObjC, and the learning curve is SO MUCH shorter

Actually I disagree. Swift might be easier to learn, but Obj-C has an amazing runtime that I simply don't see with Swift.

Edit: And as someone who uses a LOT of declares in his macOS applications, there's two things that Swift doesn't have that I have learned to really appreciate about Objective-C.

1. Header files, provide a more direct way of documentation. All to0 frequently do I find methods or enums simply not documented on apple.com , yet their info is in the .h file, which of course Swift doesn't use.

2. Self-explanatory function names. Objective-C's function names are long winded, how ever with a single glance they tell you what properties they take and often without reading any further. Swift's names are shorter (to simplify them) and often they have multiple functions with the same name, which means that I MUST read deeper to understand which one I want and what it takes. it also makes translating Swift to Xojo much harder. Where as translating Obj-C to Xojo, I often don't need to refer to any documentation other than the sample code.

Sure Swift is easier for people to learn, but it has many limitations which Apple had already solved with the years that they'd invested in Obj-C, only to have to solve them again in the next 30 years.

20. @Emile S a. we do not know how Apple’s Engineers works.

They should switch to Xojo to compile macOS:

#if debugbuild then
    #else

21. Emile S

Dec 6 Europe (France, Strasbourg)

High Sierra final is available.

What are the news ? (your experience once you upgraded from the beta / according to the OP subject) ?

or Sign Up to reply!