Timer, Notifications, menuitem AND sub-window

I have a subwindow that allows one to edit one data field. That means of course some field has to have the focus.
This window is called by the window that displays the data, either a listbox or a window with set of textareas.
The is called by a menuitem or control.
It would be nice if I could “cheat” and have the window caller finish the cleanup rather than have the subwindow do the data placement.
That unfortunately leads to other problems, like the menubar for the calling window is still active.

Tim H suggested I use a timer, but I don’t think that is the entire solution.
That conversation is window-frame-floating-and-menubar

What possibilities are there?

For clarification about “cheating.” This is code that follows the LilEWindow.showmodal call and of course screws with the menuitem. LilEWindow is the sub window.

If AdCardList.Cell(TRow, TColumn) <> App.LilWinTextE Then App.TextHasChanged = True ContentsChanged = True AdCardList.Cell(TRow, TColumn) = App.LilWinTextE UpdatCell(TRow, TColumn) End If
App.LilWinTextE is a global variable set by either window
UpdatCell stores the text in an array that does many things including function as undo and prestorage.
I don’t have an effective way to alert the window of changes made versus the easy cheating method of not finishing the routine.

For those who read XDev a relevant article is in 12.5 titled “In-App Notifications”