1Password X in Google Chrome sets WebTextField.Text to "undefined" when in password mode

Just in case anyone is pulling out their hair at the moment wondering why their web project isn’t letting them log in at the moment, just submitted this bug…

The new 1Password X extension for Google Chrome seems to interfere with WebTextFields set to password mode, their Text is always set to undefined no matter what you enter when running a project in the debugger.

Setting the same WebTextField to “normal” mode allows it to send the correct text.

Disabling the 1Password X Chrome extension also allows the WebTextField in password mode to work as expected.

Using the same project in another browser (such as Firefox) with the “old” native 1Password extension works as expected.

Using the 1Password X extension in Chrome with other sites works as expected, it’s only when using it with Xojo that there are problems.

<https://xojo.com/issue/50427>

What OS? What version of Xojo?

FYI, working fine for me with:

Version 62.0.3202.94 of Chrome on OS X (El Capitan)
Web app built with Xojo 2017r1.1.
1Password 6 Version 6.8.4 (684001)
1Password: Password Manager and Secure Wallet 4.6.12.90 (Chrome extension)

[quote=359919:@Ian Jones]Just in case anyone is pulling out their hair at the moment wondering why their web project isn’t letting them log in at the moment, just submitted this bug…

The new 1Password X extension for Google Chrome seems to interfere with WebTextFields set to password mode, their Text is always set to undefined no matter what you enter when running a project in the debugger.

Setting the same WebTextField to “normal” mode allows it to send the correct text.

Disabling the 1Password X Chrome extension also allows the WebTextField in password mode to work as expected.

Using the same project in another browser (such as Firefox) with the “old” native 1Password extension works as expected.

Using the 1Password X extension in Chrome with other sites works as expected, it’s only when using it with Xojo that there are problems.

<https://xojo.com/issue/50427>[/quote]
Just out of curiosity… why did you file the bug report with us? If it used to work and an update to 1Password broke it, wouldn’t that point to a problem on their side?

To be clear, I’ve filed several bug reports with the folks at 1Password for other websites that don’t work with their browser plugins and they have always fixed it very quickly.

[quote=359934:@Anthony Dellos]What OS? What version of Xojo?

FYI, working fine for me with:

Version 62.0.3202.94 of Chrome on OS X (El Capitan)
Web app built with Xojo 2017r1.1.
1Password 6 Version 6.8.4 (684001)
1Password: Password Manager and Secure Wallet 4.6.12.90 (Chrome extension)[/quote]
Chrome 62 on macOS 10.12 or Solus 3 (it’s a rolling Linux release, fully up to date).

1Password X is the brand new Chrome extension (v1.0.1) that does not need a desktop app, it works with 1Password for families or teams, it’s not the “classic” version you’re using that requires a desktop app. As such, it works on Linux!

[quote=359938:@Greg O’Lone]Just out of curiosity… why did you file the bug report with us? If it used to work and an update to 1Password broke it, wouldn’t that point to a problem on their side?

To be clear, I’ve filed several bug reports with the folks at 1Password for other websites that don’t work with their browser plugins and they have always fixed it very quickly.[/quote]

I probably will, but I figured as it was a very specific problem that only happens with Xojo web and nothing else then I thought you might at least have a better idea on where the problem is and either be able to fix it in the Xojo Web framework or pass on specific details to AgileBits. I also didn’t really expect AgileBits to have much experience with Xojo web apps!

What’s really annoying is that I was on the 1Password for Chrome/Linux beta (that has been released as 1Password X) for months and didn’t notice the problem because in the project I’m working on I’m routinely importing data from a live system, clearing out the passwords as they use a different encryption scheme, and then sending myself a “reset password” link to set myself a new password. When I set that new password it turns out the password mode text field is always sending “undefined” as the password because I’m using the 1Password X extension on Chrome across all my machines!

It was only by chance that I noticed the problem while running in the debugger to check that some other stuff was working as intended. At first I thought maybe Xojo was being clever and masking data coming from a password field so that it couldn’t be seen in the debugger, but further investigation showed that it’s simply some JS error that breaks Xojo WebTextFields in password mode when 1Password X is enabled.

Perhaps because Grammarly has a similar effect, it might be worth Xojo looking into what these plugins are doing to put some defense in place for the new web framework.

We did that for the browsers when they all implemented password saving. Problem is that they all keep changing their tactics. We’ll be playing catch-up for all eternity.

Didn’t realize such a thing existed. Sounds pretty cool (other than the not working part!)

Anthony

Has 1Password fixed this problem?