web application build

I have made a web application. I also bought a web license.
After I built the application I got the Build folder.
My problem: I can not see how to start the application?

There are a number of ways to deploy your web application depending on whether you are building stand-alone or CGI. Have a look at http://developer.xojo.com/userguide/web-app-deployment-overview .

I have read that.
But I have a Unix executable.
I expected that double clicking it, would start the application, just as you do when the starting the app in the Xojo environment.

If you have built a stand-alone version then you should be able to do just that. You will need to connect to it using a browser on the port you’ve specified in build settings. The IDE does this for you during debug runs, not the application.

Try running the app in a terminal window.

I selected the standalone version.
How do I connect it with a browser?
Or how do I start it from the terminal window?

On the machine its on start it, so double click it. When it’s running go to another machine and iin a web browser type in the IP and port address of the machine that you started the web app on.

I.e http://192.168.0.100:8080

Substitute the port number 8080 for the port setup in your app
Change the UK address to you machine that is running the app.

I want my client just do double click the icon to start the application.
This is what I’m trying to find out.

The web application runs in a web browser. You would need to create a bookmark for the web address of your application. Save the shortcut on your desktop or wherever and a double click of the icon will start the application via the shortcut. To all intents and purposes your end user will know no different to starting other iinstalled software.

You will probably want to run the web app as a daemon and create a bookmark on the user’s computer so he can access the app in his browser by selecting the bookmark.

Xojo runs well with Ampss. As far as know Ampss comes with PERL so all you need to do is copy the files from the build folder to the hosting folder in Ampss. Then you would access the app on your server either through an IP or domain. Here is an example of such an app I’m testing with Ampss. http://apps.tigme.com/cgi/siotr-dash/siotr-dash.cgi

ps. With Xampp or Lamp you may have to install Strawberry Perl or Active Perl for your app to launch. There are caveats running your apps through CGI or Standalone. With CGI the server spawns a PERL instance of approx. 5Mb for Strawberry Perl and approx. 7Mb on Active Perl for every client. With standalone you have to add an “ugly” port number to every app you put on the server but seems to use less memory

try deploying via Xojo cloud
or checkout the packages at server warp Philip will set you up and uploading CGI apps are really easy to test your web apps on linux server

[quote=355713:@Patrice Delathouwer]I want my client just do double click the icon to start the application.
This is what I’m trying to find out.[/quote]
To get this (the server running) must create a Launcher to the executable in your distro’s desktop.

Then you must launch the browser and point to the IP/Hostname:port

If you want to launch the application AND the browser with an icon, you could create an script that start the application as daemon with & (and perhaps nohup) and then launch the browser (command line) pointing that address. Note, that the daemon will continue running even you close the shell window or terminate the script, if launched with nohup, and that may be a problem for following runs.

As you has been told, better run the application as a daemon (or service) at boot, and create an icon for launch the browser.

I think these are all the options you have.