Comodo code signing verification

I bought a certificate from K Software, Commodo reseller, and am a bit confused as to what exactly I need to do to verify with Commodo. The first email I got from them read:

[quote]For callback verification, please update your company name, address, and phone number in our acceptable online resources such as
Dun & Bradstreet
https://kompass.com/[/quote]
I have a D-U-N-S number already and sent that to them. I don’t know what kompass is. It’s not particulary clear what I’m supposed to do with that. Next I got this email from them:

[quote]Thank you for writing to us,Your order is awaiting for phone verification,Please add your phone number in below link and get back to us.

https://www.upik.de/4829b8a7e4a45beec8fa0de34753a913/en/upik_datensatz.cgi?id=1&match_type=C
[/quote]
The page linked is not in English. Sometimes it’s German, sometimes Portuguese. So I complained about that. Next I got this:

[quote]If you are unable to update in that link then Update/register your business, including telephone number, with a qualified independent source, such as;
https://us.kompass.com/b/business-directory/
start.cortera.com/company/research/
www.bbb.org
www.buzzfile.com/Home/Basic
www.dnb.com
www.zoominfo.com/s/#!search/company[/quote]
I was able to create an account on buzzfile and kompass but I should have an existing account with D & B as I have the D-U-N-S number.

From what I’ve read here on the forum it should not be this difficult especially if I already have the D-U-N-S number.

If you’re going around in circles with Comodo your best bet is to contact Mitchell Vincent at K Software, I have always found him very helpful.

I contacted D&B support and was directed to this page. https://iupdate.dnb.com

I was able to login and update the necessary information. Even though I had a DUNS number they did not have my phone listed and other information.

I had tried this page before but kept getting an error. It was because I had popups blocked.

Now I’ll wait and see if they contact me.

I agree with Richard. Support (Mitchell) at K Software is outstanding. They spent quite a bit of time with me a few weeks ago tracking down an issue with a client certificate.

I will do that if progress isn’t made on Monday. They should have everything they need now.

Thanks!

Good lord! The weekend staff at Commodo must have just clocked in to work. They asked me for my DUNS number again. I guess it’s easier and less confusing than reading the ticket history.

It’s just that I’m new to this process, they may be doing what is necessary. I did not have a phone listed previously with D&B. So maybe they want to look it up, compare it to my address, and call the number found there.

I imagine, like with Apple, I need to register somewhere with Microsoft as a developer? In my mind I buy the cert and insert it into the app and I’m done. Probably not so?

I went a couple more rounds with Commodo. Part of the problem may have been my D&B information. I did update my company info using this: https://iupdate.dnb.com

I also got a confirmation from D&B that the info was updated. Still, Commodo just kept saying it wasn’t. I provided my DUNS number and they were using that somehow. Where? I have no idea. Commodo claimed they needed to make a phone call to my business number. So I contacted support a K Software just short time ago. Got my cert in about 1 hour. No phone call from Commodo. Mitchell Vincent contacted them directly and sorted it.

It’s always nice when support is fast and easy. Glad I used them.

When I went through this Commodo hassle myself, then I started to appreciate the Apple way of handling this. For just about 100$/yr I‘m getting the certficates and all of the dev tools.
Microsoft: watch and learn!

Do I understand correctly that now that I have the certificate I am all set with Windows or do I need to register with them? I know I have to code sign the files in my app as well as the installer app.

If you have the certificate you are all set for Windows. Sign all the files your project creates (using the KSign utility) , and then sign the installer/uninstaller too (using installer of choice). If you need help let us know.

If you are selling your Windows apps on your own website and anywhere, then you are all set.

If you are selling on the Windows Store, you have to register a developer account. Individual is USD19/- and company is USD99/- one-time, not annual, no renewal. For Windows Store apps, Microsoft will sign the app so you don’t need to code-sign.

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/store/register

[quote=355393:@Duane Mitchell]I bought a certificate from K Software, Commodo reseller, and am a bit confused as to what exactly I need to do to verify with Commodo.

From what I’ve read here on the forum it should not be this difficult especially if I already have the D-U-N-S number.[/quote]

It IS easy. You need to make sure the important imfomation are already in your D-U-N-S records before you order. If you update with DnB after you ordered, COMODO may not get the updated D-U-N-S info immediately, may have to wait a few days.

Company Name
Company Address
Telephone Number (one that can receive SMS)

Callback validation is not they call you. You click the lick that bring to you to their website. You validate the phone number is correct and the server send you a verification code. Stay on the page, do not click away. When you receive the SMS, enter it on the page. Thats it.

Here is how fast I went through last Nov:

Just to update.

The info I posted was about a year old so I had forgotten that the callback was an actual automated call from COMODO. Press “1” to confirm that I buying a certificate and was given a 6-digit Callback Verification Pin to input into the browser. Previously, I posted that it was an SMS - No. it is not SMS. I was wrong, bad memory, sorry.

Recently, I changed my company structure and had to slightly renamed the company. D&B said I needed to apply for a new DUNS number which I did.

Today, I just bought a new COMODO certificate from KSoftware and got the certificate in 3 hours. This is a new first time purchase for a “new” company.

Well, they did call me the first time. For renewals they do not call but just send a mail.

[quote=358709:@Cho Sing Kum]Just to update.

The info I posted was about a year old so I had forgotten that the callback was an actual automated call from COMODO. Press “1” to confirm that I buying a certificate and was given a 6-digit Callback Verification Pin to input into the browser. Previously, I posted that it was an SMS - No. it is not SMS. I was wrong, bad memory, sorry.[/quote]

Well, that’s why I corrected myself.

And if you move before a renewal prepare for some more fun and games. Ensure D&B (Bloodsucking leeches of the corporate variety) is updated. Renewal fell over but once D&B updated went through fine.

I did not get the email you are showing about the callback.

Thanks for your comments on Windows developer setup. That’s a pretty good deal.

All in all it was very simple once I contacted K Software support. I got my cert in a few minutes. If I had it to do again I’d go right to them.

Signing the app is also very easy with kSign from K Software.