Can ListBox support variable-height rows

I’m thinking about redesigning an app that has all manner of variable-height UI tables and headers (see image below). Any way to do this with ListBox, or any Xojo add-on?

not sure why my DropBox link to the above jpg isn’t being displayed, but here it is again:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6sbcbs8cg9m0hur/Screen%20Shot%202017-10-09%20at%2012.28.28%20PM.jpg?dl=0

I can’t see your image but I have a listbox sublass that allows you to merge cells across rows that might get you where you want to go.

See:
http://katkosoft.com/Mergeable%20Listbox%20Page/MergeableCellListbox.html

1 Like

Assemble it as HTML and display it in an HTMLviewer?
Much depends upon whether you expect to edit the text.
If not, then variable height like this is easy.

Take a look at DataView as it can do that plus LOTS more you probably did not even think about yet but will appreciate once available to you.

Just a user/customer here; no vested interest.

1 Like

Turns out I WOULD need to live (in-place) edit text in the variable height rows / cells.

I use this style of UI all the time – I’m frequently amazed that more list / table classes don’t support it out-of-the-box.

[quote=353529:@Jeff Tullin]Assemble it as HTML and display it in an HTMLviewer?
Much depends upon whether you expect to edit the text.
If not, then variable height like this is easy.[/quote]

This is very easy to do if one haas a minimum of HTML knowledge. Making a cell editable is not terribly difficult either.

The most complex is the interface to exchange data between the Desktop app and the HTML within the HTMLViewer. On Mac it is relatively simple with StatusChanged, but on PC using TitleChanged is limited to 4K, so one may have to send ou chunks.

On macOS it is easier because you can get results returned from Javascript (declares are on this forum and MBS has plugins for it, plus I think also for other platforms too)

(my) Stupid questions:

How come that enarly everyone want this feature (and others) and there is no direct support to do that ?

What is the situation on other Development Tools ?
Do they need workarounds / plugins too ?

@Emile Schwarz: a listbox is very very complicated. The Xojo listbox is a jack-of-all-trades and not very fast. I spent a ton of time with the piDog listbox which in the end was too slow. Then I helped Thomas Tempelmann testing his implementation of the macOS listbox. In both cases the code was way beyond my level of understanding. Now the listbox with variable-height rows surely is many times more complex. For Visual Basic there is a large market of components. Xojo is way too small for them to support.

Thanks Beatrix.

What strange world.

Fortunately, all industries does not behave that way (in fact, I hope so).

Edit:
I really correctly read Beatrix answer, but I do not wanted to share my feeling about what is implied in it.
I prefer the deny and stay with a naive thinking (No, companies does not sold buggy stuff / Xojo is not a prototyping application creator where you have to buy addons / use tons of declare to create applications that really roll).