Threads and Timers with Xojo Desktop - Free Book

I Wish I Knew How To… Program Threads and Timers with Xojo Desktop has been released with version 1.0 for October 2017. There are 5 chapters in the book and 13 example programs.

Threads are used to run calculations and other code in the background, while timers update the GUI based on calculations from the thread. Threads and Timers functionality complement each other. This book introduces some of the many ways to use these two controls.

This book is free and is in PDF format with all examples including Xojo code. No plugins are needed with this book. Code has been tested with Xojo 2017 R2.1 on Windows 10, Mac High Sierra, and Linux Ubuntu in both 32-bit and 64-bit mode.

The book and examples can be downloaded by visiting the authors website at http://scispec.ca and click on the books link to find the Threads and Timer book.

ISBN: 978-1-927924-19-8

If it’s anything like your other titles it will become a must-have book. I look forward to purchasing and reading it.

Thanks for the kind words Bob.

This book is free because it is much smaller than the others. It is a nice introduction.

Eugene: I’d suggest editing the subject title so it says “Free Book” instead of just “Free”. As is, some people may skip over the message thinking you are talking about the free version of Xojo Desktop.

I didn’t catch the ‘free’ part. Great job and thanks for contributing to the community!

Good suggestion. I made the changes to the title. Thanks.

Although I know how to use timers and threads, since original Eugene Dakin books are must-haves in the collection, I need to grab it. Thanks Eugene.

Thank you very much for sharing this book and knowledge. I really do appreciate this very nice gesture from your side.

Your books are great, clearly written and easy to read.

Thank you again Eugene.

Thanks Eugene. Your books are well written and very useful. A must have for all Xojo coders.

Thanks Eugene. Very pleasant to read this subject… like other books, good job.

Thank you Eugene. thumb-up

Thank you Eugene. Much appreciated. Will add it to the three books of yours I have purchased in the past which have proved so useful and informative.

Thanks Eugene. I have downloaded the book and will enjoy reading through it this week

Thanks Eugene.

Thank you Eugene. My “I wish I could” library which I call my “Now that I can” library is always looking for new members.

Thank you very much Eugene.

Very interesting stuff, thank you very much for sharing your knowledge with us.

Yes, as everyone above me has said. Thank you!