Saving will increase the minimum version of the IDE

I do the following steps:

1. create a new desktop project
  2. drop an image file to the project
  3. select Menu => Save

Now I got this message:
[i]Saving will increase the minimum version of the IDE required to open this file

Saving will increase the minimum version of the IDE required to open this project
and will make opening it with older IDE’S not function. IDE’s that do not make this
check may not be able to open the project properly.[/i]

If you save a new empty project before you drop a external file, you don’t get this message.

Tested with Xojo2017R2 and R2.1

Doesnt sound like a bug, just an acknowledgement that a new feature in 2017 has changed the way images are held, and older versions will not be able to read the file if it is a binary one.

I would expect the XML file version to be more tolerant, but I dont know if that is actually the case…

This is an already know feature in a “discussion” in this forum.

The answer is… “sometimes you have to add this kind of things to go ahead”.

My concern was that there was (at the time) no entry for that in the Release Notes.

Conclusion:

Stop using older Xojo IDE versions

Or: never save your project on a Xojo IDE version after 2017r1. (better do the former…)

[quote=350210:@Jeff Tullin]Doesnt sound like a bug, just an acknowledgement that a new feature in 2017 has changed the way images are held, and older versions will not be able to read the file if it is a binary one.

I would expect the XML file version to be more tolerant, but I dont know if that is actually the case…[/quote]
It’s not necessarily images. From time to time we have to add to or change the project file format to accommodate new or fixed features and this warning is just telling you that your project may behave badly if you open it in an older version later.