Windows IDE type speed

1. ‹ Older
  2. last week

Bernardo M

is not verified Sep 13 Pre-Release Testers

@Greg OLone It will definitely act differently. Direct2D is hardware accelerated in your video card and emulated video cards in VMs will definitely give you slower results.

That said, @Julian S, did you have any plugins installed when doing this key repeat test?

I tested in a office with various pc: desktops, laptops..., different configurations, all updated, well not all, a senior programmer prefers win7, Win10. when I open the project (1500+ files they works mostly in that project$$) when typing shows a delay, I have a VM with win10, same behavior with new blank project, do not upgrade xojo now, was the general opinion.

3. Julian S

Sep 13 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro UK

@Greg OLone That said, @Julian S, did you have any plugins installed when doing this key repeat test?

Just the default ones that come with Xojo.

4. Joost R

Sep 13 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro The Netherlands

@Greg OLone Direct2D is hardware accelerated in your video card and emulated video cards in VMs will definitely give you slower results.

In general this is true. This is why you can hardly use a VM for gaming.
    But in this case it's not the video being slow.
    Imagine you have a line of code, put the cursor to the end of the line, and start pressing backspace. It can happen that you have pressed it three times before you see anything happening. And what happens is that all three characters disappear at once, so in fact no control on what you're doing.

5. Greg O

Sep 13 Xojo Inc Somewhere near Raleigh, NC

@Joost R In general this is true. This is why you can hardly use a VM for gaming.
    But in this case it's not the video being slow.
    Imagine you have a line of code, put the cursor to the end of the line, and start pressing backspace. It can happen that you have pressed it three times before you see anything happening. And what happens is that all three characters disappear at once, so in fact no control on what you're doing.

The IDE code and layout views are largely drawn from scratch using the paint event of a canvas so Direct2D acceleration does have an impact. It’s quite evident here when switching between using Parallels and Bootcamp.

6. Mathias M

@Greg OLone The IDE code and layout views are largely drawn from scratch using the paint event of a canvas so Direct2D acceleration does have an impact. It’s quite evident here when switching between using Parallels and Bootcamp.

The problem I'm showing in that gif isn't Parallels or Bootcamp, it's Windows 10 on a regular PC.

The main thing that is wrong here: How did this go trough Q&A? How did this go by unnoticed? You guys support Windows and charge for it, this isn't some super specific bug in an obscure area of the IDE, it's one of the main functions.
    Can you reproduce with the project attached previously in this thread? If not, we should find the differences in machines. Maybe my GPU is too slow or so.

Also, is this problem the same in Linux? I'm willing to switch to Mint if Xojo would work better.

7. Stefan A

is not verified Sep 13 Pre-Release Testers Austria, Tirol

@Mathias M The problem I'm showing in that gif isn't Parallels or Bootcamp, it's Windows 10 on a regular PC.

The main thing that is wrong here: How did this go trough Q&A? How did this go by unnoticed? You guys support Windows and charge for it, this isn't some super specific bug in an obscure area of the IDE, it's one of the main functions.
    Can you reproduce with the project attached previously in this thread? If not, we should find the differences in machines. Maybe my GPU is too slow or so.

Also, is this problem the same in Linux? I'm willing to switch to Mint if Xojo would work better.

I'm having no problem with your sample project.
    System:

-image-

8. Bernardo M

I don't know if this help: I have a project write in xojo2015 with canvas and animation, looks great at 60fps (is frame based) but when run in xojo2016r4 and xojo2017r2 don't shows as expected, freezes sometimes, is the same code in the same machine so I think is the behavior of rendering in canvas... what other conclusion would be? Just for curiosity I print the timeofframe with system.debuglog and shows 14,15,16,17 ms in both (2015 and 2017) but in 2017 don't shows the change.

It is possible use old render (not direct2d) in windows projects? just for compare.

9. Julian S

Sep 13 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro UK

There's no point getting angry about it guys, just keep providing information.

It might be worth while running a dxdiag and submitting the text file to a ticket (can Xojo suggest which one we should use?). At least we'll be able to compare the hardware etc and see if there is some commonality with the problem.

On a side note, I've just got back to my main PC, I tried my tests from above with the a's and I have the same problem of it not rendering until it gets to the end of the longest line, so its not CPU/Graphics card speed as the difference between my laptop and main PC are like night and day.

10. George B

Sep 13 http://www.nextgenoffices.com

Just purchased a Pro license, I am using Windows 10 on a i7 with 16G ram and a fast SSD. I have no plugins installed, the typing is terrible. Any other program I use the typing is very smooth and fast, but when I switch to Xojo the typing is bad.

Is there anything to fix this?

11. Jürg O

Sep 13 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

@Julian S There's no point getting angry about it guys, just keep providing information.

I'm sure there are many aspects involved...
    One of these has been discussed here, so i've created a Feedback for that specific one: Feedback Case #49566 IDE, Windows: Code Editor doesn't refresh when Key is being kept pressed
    Please write additional isolated Feedback's (along with example project, screen recordings, ...) with other aspects you encounter while using the Windows IDE. So Xojo can improve it step-by-step.

12. Neil B

Sep 13 Pre-Release Testers

@Julian S Ok, just put 2017v2.1 on and followed the same steps as above (new project, window.open, hold down a) and no text appears until I let go of the a key.

In versions prior to 2017r2 the backspace key at least rendered properly when held in. In 2017r2 no rendering is done until the key is let up.

13. Neil B

Sep 13 Pre-Release Testers
    Edited last week by Neil B

@Mathias M When I just type in some random characters, the text doesn't even appear, when I stop typing, I have to wait several seconds for the text to show up in the IDE. Making the Intellisense practically useless.

I believe this is a separate issue from the one about repeating keys. This issue had shown up for me but now it 'fixed it's self'. I can't get it to happen again, on the same computer.

14. Joost R

Sep 13 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro The Netherlands

@Greg OLone so Direct2D acceleration does have an impact.

Greg, whatever the cause is, fact is that we, Win IDE users, are in trouble since Xojo move to D2D. It's the IDE annoyance and also the fact that most build desktop projects flicker even more than when build with versions prior to the big move So still, I HAVE TO keep 2016R3 up and running.

15. Mathias M

Follow up in this story: I grabbed an old laptop of the shelf and installed a brand new Win10 PRO. This laptop only has a lousy 2GB RAM, and... It's WAY better than the other better computer at work.

Now the editor stutters when holding a key, but when casual typing, the editor keeps up (or lags a very little behind). This laptop has an integrated intel GPU with only 1GB of VRAM.

It's not good, but it's workable.. Will check the GPU and VRAM of the other computer tomorrow at work.

Really weird, it doesn't seem to be related to how good a PC is, it might be driver related or something?

16. ronaldo f

Sep 13 Philippines

I also experience typing lag but very manageable. I'm using Windows 10 Home, XOJO R2017 2.1.

BTW,
    Have you tried to run xojo under compatibility (right click the XOJO.EXE, Properties>>Compatibility>>Win7 ?
    I remember Visual Basic 6 when running on Windows 7. I experienced same trouble with it, the problem was gone after I use the compatibility troubleshooting in windows. Take note, it works on VB6 not on my XOJO.

17. Eugene D

Sep 13 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Canada scispec.ca

I am also seeing the repeat-key issue that Julian mentioned. My computer is likely faster than Mathias, as Xojo updates the screen when the key is lifted on my machine. Here is a you-tube video of the repeat-key issue on my machine:

Repeat Key YouTube Video

18. Eugene D

Sep 13 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Canada scispec.ca

P.S. I have narrated my steps in the video. You may need to turn the volume up on your machine to hear the steps.

19. Norman P

Sep 13 Xojo Inc
    Edited last week by Norman P

Holding the key down, on Windows, behaves almost exactly like a tight loop drawing to a canvas every time
    It never gives the runtime a chance to actually redraw

I _could_ force it to refresh, instead of invalidate, but that would likely slow things down a lot more

20. Wayne G

Sep 13 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro New Zealand axisdirect.nz

I have added my current project and a movie to the case (privately). Hopefully @Norman P can replicate this experience. I've also updated my graphics driver to the latest version which made no difference.

21. Wayne G

Sep 13 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro New Zealand axisdirect.nz

After updating & rebooting my dev machine Xojo is behaving itself again???

or Sign Up to reply!