Windows IDE type speed

Hello

I normally use Xojo on OSX, no problems, always works fine.
But I’m changing jobs and getting a Windows laptop from work instead of a MacBook. I just installed Xojo 2017r2.1. And… It’s barely useable. When I just type in some random characters, the text doesn’t even appear, when I stop typing, I have to wait several seconds for the text to show up in the IDE. Making the Intellisense practically useless.

I have never encountered this behaviour on OSX. I still have a valid PRO license for another 4-5 months I think, is this fixable? Xojo is the one and only program that has this problem. I also use PHPStorm, works perfectly.

Thanks for input or help, I’m really desperate. Switching back to my old employer (j/k)

Edit: I found some other topics about slow typing speeds, but it’s not that the IDE is lagging behind, it just stops responding until I release the last keyboard button. Only the first character of a new typing session is shown, the rest is not.

I work with Xojo 2016R3 IDE and for another project with Xojo 2017R2 IDE , both on the same Windows 10 VM.
And yes, it’s true, 2017R2 (win) has the problem as described above, while 2016R3 (win) has not. Same computer, same windows etc.
And yes, none of all the others tools installed on this VM, has a performance issue like the xojo 2017R2 ide.

Thanks @Joost Rongen for your feedback. Glad I’m not the only one.

@Greg O’Lone and @Norman Palardy

Are you aware of this? It’s not even only in big projects, 1 have 1 form with a couple of controls.
I mean, I could screencapture it tomorrow, it’s unusable.

Thanks!

I’ve been having this issue also.

This was the last mention during the R2 beta’s
Anyone thats a prerelease tested can read this https://forum.xojo.com/42311-b14-typing-speed

I’ve had no further information from anyone since until this mention today

I forgot about this problem after I posted a video about it a while back. Just going by my totally unscientific test on an old laptop I’m using at the moment, it seems related to the max length of the longest string in the current code view.

e.g.

I created a new project, created a window.open and held down the ‘a’ key and lifted the key when the line actually rendered and I got the following output:

a aaaa aaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I dont know if that helps steer you in a direction, but the delay seems “width” related not content related. I blanked that code and crated the line:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I pasted that in about 1000 lines (with LF at the end) creating a huge code block of a’s then I held down a on a fresh line and it started rendering after it got to the end of the a’s above it.

The above was done in 2017v1.1, I’ll go and put the latest beta on here and see what difference it makes (if any).

Ok, just put 2017v2.1 on and followed the same steps as above (new project, window.open, hold down a) and no text appears until I let go of the a key.

So its a definite change between the versions. The latest version seem to act like like above would act with a string the width of the visible page (if you know what I mean).

When holding down a on a blank coding page, it takes a while (obviously) but the scrollbar starts widening as if its putting the a’s in, but the a’s don’t actually appear until I let go of the a key.

It might be useful to test it on a bare metal windows install (boot camp into windows) rather than a VM (if you havent already) as it might act differently.

My tests didnt show a delay as long as Mathias though, but there could be lots of reasons for the difference if there’s an underlying issue.

We have discussed so much in previous conversations about this issue. Think Norman is aware this and there is no clue what causes this behavior. But fact is, when you have a big project, you don’t get a comfortable feeling while coding.

I made a screenrecording of the typing behaviour.
I also attached the project, as a completely empty Xojo product types considery faster.

Here is the project: https://ufile.io/eyjfj

Thanks for input!
@Julian S, I think you’re onto something :slight_smile:

I have this problem too, with a project with 1500+ files (2000+ including images) Windows 10, in fact, I do not close the project for days!, just close the laptop screen, and use 2015 release of xojo.

Xojo cannot keep up with my typing speed. It is frustrating but there is nothing I can do about it. Like I have said in another thread, there is no love any longer for Xojo Windows version.

If we like it or not, we have to accept that.

It will definitely act differently. Direct2D is hardware accelerated in your video card and emulated video cards in VMs will definitely give you slower results.

That said, @, did you have any plugins installed when doing this key repeat test?

[quote=350064:@Greg O’Lone]It will definitely act differently. Direct2D is hardware accelerated in your video card and emulated video cards in VMs will definitely give you slower results.

That said, @, did you have any plugins installed when doing this key repeat test?[/quote]

I tested in a office with various pc: desktops, laptops…, different configurations, all updated, well not all, a senior programmer prefers win7, Win10. when I open the project (1500+ files they works mostly in that project$$) when typing shows a delay, I have a VM with win10, same behavior with new blank project, do not upgrade xojo now, was the general opinion.

Just the default ones that come with Xojo.

In general this is true. This is why you can hardly use a VM for gaming.
But in this case it’s not the video being slow.
Imagine you have a line of code, put the cursor to the end of the line, and start pressing backspace. It can happen that you have pressed it three times before you see anything happening. And what happens is that all three characters disappear at once, so in fact no control on what you’re doing.

[quote=350075:@Joost Rongen]In general this is true. This is why you can hardly use a VM for gaming.
But in this case it’s not the video being slow.
Imagine you have a line of code, put the cursor to the end of the line, and start pressing backspace. It can happen that you have pressed it three times before you see anything happening. And what happens is that all three characters disappear at once, so in fact no control on what you’re doing.[/quote]
The IDE code and layout views are largely drawn from scratch using the paint event of a canvas so Direct2D acceleration does have an impact. It’s quite evident here when switching between using Parallels and Bootcamp.

The problem I’m showing in that gif isn’t Parallels or Bootcamp, it’s Windows 10 on a regular PC.

The main thing that is wrong here: How did this go trough Q&A? How did this go by unnoticed? You guys support Windows and charge for it, this isn’t some super specific bug in an obscure area of the IDE, it’s one of the main functions.
Can you reproduce with the project attached previously in this thread? If not, we should find the differences in machines. Maybe my GPU is too slow or so.

Also, is this problem the same in Linux? I’m willing to switch to Mint if Xojo would work better.

[quote=350083:@Mathias Maes]The problem I’m showing in that gif isn’t Parallels or Bootcamp, it’s Windows 10 on a regular PC.

The main thing that is wrong here: How did this go trough Q&A? How did this go by unnoticed? You guys support Windows and charge for it, this isn’t some super specific bug in an obscure area of the IDE, it’s one of the main functions.
Can you reproduce with the project attached previously in this thread? If not, we should find the differences in machines. Maybe my GPU is too slow or so.

Also, is this problem the same in Linux? I’m willing to switch to Mint if Xojo would work better.[/quote]

I’m having no problem with your sample project.
System:

I don’t know if this help: I have a project write in xojo2015 with canvas and animation, looks great at 60fps (is frame based) but when run in xojo2016r4 and xojo2017r2 don’t shows as expected, freezes sometimes, is the same code in the same machine so I think is the behavior of rendering in canvas… what other conclusion would be? Just for curiosity I print the timeofframe with system.debuglog and shows 14,15,16,17 ms in both (2015 and 2017) but in 2017 don’t shows the change.

It is possible use old render (not direct2d) in windows projects? just for compare.

There’s no point getting angry about it guys, just keep providing information.

It might be worth while running a dxdiag and submitting the text file to a ticket (can Xojo suggest which one we should use?). At least we’ll be able to compare the hardware etc and see if there is some commonality with the problem.

On a side note, I’ve just got back to my main PC, I tried my tests from above with the a’s and I have the same problem of it not rendering until it gets to the end of the longest line, so its not CPU/Graphics card speed as the difference between my laptop and main PC are like night and day.

Just purchased a Pro license, I am using Windows 10 on a i7 with 16G ram and a fast SSD. I have no plugins installed, the typing is terrible. Any other program I use the typing is very smooth and fast, but when I switch to Xojo the typing is bad.

Is there anything to fix this?