Control Layers/Elevation?

I have a MoviePlayer that is playing a background animation, and I want to stack controls on top of it like labels, canvases (acting as panels), etc… problem is, there is nowhere I can define control elevation. and when the movie player starts, it goes on top, throwing the controls I had added previously, behind it…

Also, I am attempting to have two MoviePlayers, 1 on top of another (like picture-in-picture) and of course that is failing miserably. I can see a part of a video behind another video. instead of 1 video on top of another. Kinda interesting.

any ideas?

Window/Mac/Linux?

I can get it working in Windows (using my zorder fix code) but it doesn’t help you if you’re on the mac.

Someone with some VLC experience might be able to chime in as the player control in that might be a little more forgiving (I’ve not personally tested it yet so I can’t comment).

Usually, video players tap directly into the display, so trying to display something over may be a wild goose chase.

Probably time to refactor the UI.

Ultimately I am targeting the Raspberry Pi, Or at least attempting to. Which will Raspbian linux. Also I noticed the videos playing in the MoviePlayer window dont autosize/fit to the window.

That is the same in Windows, for probably exactly the same reason : the videoplayer addresses the screen directly, bypassing the system routines. I would definitely not try to write over, it is probably futile.

Its not the same as windows because I can get it working in Windows, so this isn’t really true any more (probably was 10+ years ago).

I’m not that up to speed on linux any more (20 years without daily use). As I mentioned, above, try it with VLC (if its available for PI). Now the PI hardware is a lot more limited, so it might only work with one video running fullscreen (hardware accelerated) as Michel mentions.

So you can indeed place text over the player screen ? From what I saw upon developing RubberViews, the player could not change size after being started, and did not react at all like another control.

Having never used the MoviePlayer control in Xojo I just fired up the MoviePlayer example and put a canvas over the top, which worked (with my mod). Now you mention it, I cant move it or anything nice so apart from showing a full screen video, there’s not much use to that control. Shame. Back to VNC then I guess.

Last time I tried, once the movie started playing, the text simply disappeared. It is a really tricky control.

My goal was to create a ribbon/overlay on a playing video, or streaming in a video live. But I guess I cant do it the way I was thinking…

You could put it just above or underneath the video area.

Thats just it. it needs to be a ribbon overlay. Think live news situations, or a sports broadcast. Where there are ribbons on the bottom or top, or sides with the live video in the background. I am trying to create an “encoder” like thing. Using an R-Pi, you stream video to it, it overlays the ribbons of information that gets pulled from a server/feed, and its HDMI output would go up on an LED display. I am already doing this in Android because it is fairly easy, The problem is, Android cannot adjust to different resolutions without recompiling the Kernel and that is an issue. Thats why I am wanting to do this on Linux because of its better resolution support. LED signs that I am targetting range from 160x80px (gfx only, no video), up to 480x320 (ribbon + video), and sometimes even higher.

If there is a way to do this programattically without using and relying on the controls, let me know.

Tickers like this in news channels are done in the video signal itself.

Possibly. But I like doing things “different”…

https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/GtkOverlay.html

If you’re using the newest release of Xojo you can always try to use declares to create an overlay and then place your controls in there, so they’ll float over the video, or see if The Monkey King has a plugin :wink:

We all do. Sometimes it is possible, sometimes not…

I would use a plain box floating window for the overlay. I don’t know if this would work on R-Pi. I know it works on windows.

I use ffmpeg for this.