Xojo 2017 and Linux

Hello,

I just tried to update my applications to Xojo 2017. Before, I used 2016r4.1. But when I try to run them on Linux (in the Debugger) they crash as soon as they open a window / dialog. I tried it with Ubuntu 14, 16 and 17 and in the 32 and 64 Bit version. Also with Mint and OpenSuse.

When I try a default project it works. Ok, this is much more easier. And also it works for macOS and Windows.

Does someone knows if Xojo has a problem with a control of a setting within Linux.?

I have the same issue. To build my Linux apps I have to go back to 2017r1.

The release notes talks about:

GTK3 for Linux (Linux GUI framework is now built with GTK+ 3.)

Did you checked the release notes for other Linux changes (in case you will find the why it does not works) ?
Only 10 entries to read.

Are you using any Plugins in your UI? If yes: are they updated for 2017r2 and GTK+3?
Are you using Declares to gtk+2? If yes: you need to declare to gtk+3 in 2017r2.

the only additional plugin, is CubeSQL. All others are original from Xojo.

I don’t think that it is only the gtk, because the default app works. And I don’t make any declares for gtk. Thanks ans I will investigate al little more.

Hello,

I believe I found the problem. First I didn’t select correct 32 / 64 Bit. It seems that in “Linux” and “This Computer” must be the same value. The second problem was an old picture, which was in the code since the first day - more then 15 year…

same here on Ubuntu 16.04 (32-bit)

a simple test project with HTMLViewer

in Open:

me.LoadUrl(“file:///Folder/file.html”) works,
me.LoadUrl(“https://forum.xojo.com”) or something else = app crashes

My application doesn’t start on Ubuntu 17.10 and GTK 3.x and RedHat 7.4. Application was build with Xojo 2017R2.1.

(InstallClient:7836): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: cannot register existing type ‘GtkWidget’
(InstallClient:7836): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_add_interface_static: assertion ‘G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)’ failed
(InstallClient:7836): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: cannot register existing type ‘GtkBuildable’
(InstallClient:7836): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_interface_add_prerequisite: assertion ‘G_TYPE_IS_INTERFACE (interface_type)’ failed
(InstallClient:7836): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_once_init_leave: assertion ‘result != 0’ failed
(InstallClient:7836): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_add_interface_static: assertion ‘G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)’ failed
(InstallClient:7836): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_get_requisition: assertion ‘GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)’ failed
(InstallClient:7836): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: cannot register existing type ‘GtkWidget’

When I build this application with Xojo 2016R# it works without any problem.

Assuming I use only native Xojo plugins, what’s currently the latest Xojo release working well on most Linux distributions ?

2017R1.1 with GTK 2.0

I use 2016 R4. In 2017R1.1 the dimension textfields in the IDE Inspector seems to be limited to 1 digit. In 2017 R2 you can not use the textfields for FontSize (maybe a white font on white background)

I’ve given up trying to sort it for released projects and for now only use 2016r3 on Linux and for Linux builds.