Install Xojo on Live SD-Card

Hi everyone,

I created successfully a Linux Live SD-Card with the recommended Linux Mint 18.2 “Sonya” as @Paul Lefebvre described in his Blog entry. If I enter

sudo apt-get install libgtk-3-0:i386 libwebkitgtk-3.0-0:i386

into the Terminal (like described in the System Requirements), the system isn’t able to load the libraries. The same on Ubuntu. Is there a way to install/start Xojo on a Linux Live System?

Greetings

What is the error that you are seeing?

The System finds the packages, but couldn’t load it. I imagine, it’s because this is a live system. But, I can’t imagine there shouldn’t be a way to get it run.

Ah, the error occurs installing libgtkwebkit.

Why don’t you simply install Linux onto the SSD as a normal Linux boot volume instead of creating a Live Installer? They do all sort of things with the Live Installer distros - including creating temporary user space while running. This could be the main cause of what you’re seeing.

Yes, thats the error. I can’t install GTK-3 and GTK Webkit.

I don’t want to install it on my Mac HDD because I would like to save memory and disc space. I just wanted to see, if my App will run on Linux.

I have installed Ubuntu 16.04(Debian based) onto a USB 3.0 flash drive without any problems. You could just go with a full install on to the SD-card.

How have you done this? Could you please describe the steps?

How large is the installed system ? (in GB)

Edit:
My Linux Mint.vdi (VirtualBox volume) is more than 19GB and there is not enough room for installing Xojo 2017r2 !!!

I have done this, with a 64GB+ usb 3.0 drive.

Here is a post from askubuntu.com.

[quote]
If you have a dual-SD card reader where you can insert both cards at once, it’s possible.

What you need to do is:

"burn" the .iso file on the "install SD"
boot from the install SD
install on the second SD (wiping it completely)
remove the "Install SD"
boot from the second SD.

Done![/quote]

You could install onto a SD card but I would suggest:

1. boot into the live version from the SD card
  2. insert a USB 3.0 drive
  3. Find the “Install” option on the Linux Live OS
  4. Select the USB 3.0 drive at the hardware selection of the install

You may have to fiddle with your BIOS to allow booting from USB but, if your able to boot from an SD card you’ve probably already figured that out.