Xojo IDE on Mint 18.2 64-bit MATE

Pulling my hair out trying to get Xojo 2017r1.1 running on my Mint 18.2 64-bit MATE laptop. I’m aware of the 32-bit recommendation (and Cinnamon) but I dropped 32-bit use because Google dropped Chrome for it. I’m also not a big Cinnamon fan. So, I expected some you’re-on-your-own head scratching time. But, I didn’t expect to be having this much trouble getting Xojo stood up. Mint has, for other apps, been pretty well behaved over other distros I’ve used over the years. I haven’t done much development on Linux, however, and this is only my second try at doing Xojo on LInux. 1st try was a couple years ago on a 32-bit version of Mint or Ubuntu or Debian – cannot remember what I was running then.

Since 18 is Ubuntu 16.04 based, I tried the suggested steps on the web site for Mint 18 and for Ubuntu 16.04.

Trying to run Xojo from the command line results in:

~/xojo/xojo2017r1.1 $ ./Xojo
Failed to find/load Framework library
libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

ldd currently reports:

~/xojo/xojo2017r1.1 $ ldd Xojo
linux-gate.so.1 => (0xf776b000)
librt.so.1 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/librt.so.1 (0xf773e000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2 (0xf7739000)
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0xf771b000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0xf7565000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x56590000)

Anyone using Xojo on a recent 64-bit Mint installation? Any pointers appreciated.

Xojo IDE is 32-bit application. So, all dependencies must be 32-bit (and 64-bit if you’re targeting 64-bit).

I installed Linux Mint 18.1 64 bits on VirtualBox on a MacBook Pro 13"/El Capitan .6 (because I was not able to download the 32 bits version) and it worked (more or less).

I am able to run it, and execute the .exe built from macOS, fire Xojo 2015r1, etc.

I too have troubles, but far away from the install.

Nota: I updated 18.1 to 18.2 and it continue to work. I do not tested a project with a HTMLViewer.

The IDE has HTMLViewers in it so if it runs, you’re good.

Mint Cinnamon 18.1 64-bit is my favorite at the moment. Make sure you go to our system requirements page and install all of the 32-bit requirements for ubuntu.

I’ll double check the requirements page and see what I might have missed, if anything. Knowing that Greg and Emile have it running on 18.1 is good to know. There is always the possibility that from 18.1 to 18.2 or in the difference between MATE and Cinnamon that there’s something I don’t have that I’m just not aware of.

A VirtualBox machine for a 32-bit instance is always an option, but I shouldn’t have to do this.

Is the fact that the files are shared object files (so) of interest? Could it be something configuration-wise (a path, an environment variable) or something where I need to fiddle with gcc?

Also, if you’re ONLY running Mate, you still need to install GNOME, even if you don’t use it as your desktop. That is where the GTK core bits come from.

I would recommend reinstalling Mint Cinnamon 64bit and then adding the MATE desktop setting it as your default desktop.

My instance is balking at installing gnome, so I think that I will reinstall Mint on the weekend and go with Cinnamon.

Hold that thought - I’d not noticed it before, but the Debian/Mint team hasn’t released the 32bit version of the GTK 3 packages. This didn’t affect my installs because I’d previously built and installed the 3.0 packages manually. I tried building a fresh Mint 18.2 system and discovered that only the 64bit libgtk-3-dev is currently available. Searching for the 32bit package fails at this point.

So, if you’re running a generic/stock version of Mint, you will not have libgtk-3 for the 32bit side that Xojo’s IDE requires.
See my update in the next post.

Here’s the magic incantation for 64bit Mint 18.1/2:

apt install gir1.2-gtk-3.0:i386 libatk1.0-dev:i386 libatk-bridge2.0-dev:i386 libglib2.0-dev:i386 libatspi2.0-dev:i386 gir1.2-atk-1.0:i386 gir1.2-atspi-2.0:i386 libegl1-mesa-dev:i386 libxkbcommon-dev:i386 libmirclient-dev:i386 libgtk-3-dev:i386 libwebkitgtk-3.0-dev:i386
It installs a lot of cruft, but it’s harmless cruft.

With those installed, I’m only seeing one Gtk warning during startup on the new system:

(Xojo:24114): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_menu_attach_to_widget(): menu already attached to GtkImageMenuItem

I’m not sure that all of that is necessary.
I downloaded Mint 18 with MATE from the Mint site. I didn’t install Gnome first and the only lib I had to install was the one recommended on the Xojo site under system requirements:

libgtk-3-0:i386 libwebkitgtk-3.0-0:i386

Xojo runs fine, but the Feedback program will not. (It can’t fine its Framework either)

Odd - when I tried to install JUST libgtk-3-dev, It threw me a list of uninstalled dependencies.

Great that you got it sorted. As for Feedback, I installed that first and it just worked.