Can I pass a parameter/argument to a Timer?

I thought that this had been hashed previously, but I can’t find anything searching the forum.

Given a Timer on a Window, is it possible to call the Timer and pass a parameter/argument to the timer?

Or, do I have to use a properly scoped variable?

Or you could subclass Timer and add a property. I did that with TCPSocket to add information specific to the connection such as user name.

in which case it still becomes a “properly scoped variable”… just a different scope is all

Yeah. Or you could alter the constructor.

[quote=346132:@Tim Jones]I thought that this had been hashed previously, but I can’t find anything searching the forum.

Given a Timer on a Window, is it possible to call the Timer and pass a parameter/argument to the timer?

Or, do I have to use a properly scoped variable?[/quote]

Not sure exactly what this means to be honest
None of the methods on a timer accept parameters - so you can call them with params
And none of the events are raised with params - so there’s nothing there
The best you could do it set one of the properties

beyond that I’m honestly sure what you mean by “call the Timer and pass a parameter/argument to the timer” ?

Are you thinking of Xojo.Core.TImer.CallLater?

Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding! We have a winner. I KNEW I’d seen this discussed previously.

Thanks, Jim!

the delegate you call takes no params
now you could set up a “global” variable and have the no param method use that etc

[quote=346192:@Norman Palardy]the delegate you call takes no params
now you could set up a “global” variable and have the no param method use that etc[/quote]
According to the docs, I should be able to do:

Using xojo.core Dim myTimer As New Timer Dim myDict As New Dictionary // fill in the dictionary pairs myTimer.CallLater(5, AddressOf(myUpdateFunction), myDictionary)

uh yeah the second form of call later :stuck_out_tongue:
duh

thats what I get for answering off the top of my head

[quote=346198:@Norman Palardy]uh yeah the second form of call later :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]
You had me going there for a second since it seemed to work :smiley: