if you would like to use xojo ide in the cloud, please support these feedback case

<https://xojo.com/issue/49210>

In a perfect world, unconstrained by limited resources, I’m sure this would be nice, but I wouldn’t want them to spend one minute on this at the expense of other, more necessary improvements and additions.

+1.

maybe in a feedback case we will have to ask for one or two new programmers to the group :slight_smile:

Xojo could get the funds for this purpose by creating a financing campaign at https://www.indiegogo.com or another similar page

Rent a windows box in the cloud and put your install of Xojo on it then RDP to it.

Why would Xojo want the headache of going into VPS hosting when this can be done right now?

From what I’ve been told, it takes a minimum of six months for a new programmer to get to a point where they are productive, but even if they could get five new people tomorrow who were somehow instantly up to to speed, I’d prefer they work on something else. Adding features/fixing bugs in the new framework, working the bugs out of 64-bit, improvements to the Windows framework (as noted in another, current thread), more iOS controls, Android, and a better IDE/debugger come to mind immediately. A cloud-based version is just not on my radar and I doubt it ever will be.

good points @ and @Kem Tekinay
Maybe xojo can launch financing campaigns to accelerate the development of some particular feature?

Geez… my head hurts just thinking about what would be required to make this a reality.

We already have this… it’s called “Buy/Renew Licenses”

or the community could start this and “buy” a new feature - thats possible

I don’t want to hijack this thread but this is an interesting proposition. Perhaps we create a new thread…?

Food for thought and an interesting proposition. The users fund “features” then Xojo collects the funds once the feature has been implemented. On one hand this is good because Xojo can monetize the features that are most important to their customers. But, this also implies that Xojo doesn’t already know what is important. User’s might be put off by having to pay for features or perceived bug fixes after they paid their licenses. After all, that is what your licensing fees should fund, right?

Somehow, I wish I could push Xojo into spending more time and effort on Windows because that is what is important to "me." I’m heavily invested in Xojo in the form of time, license renewals, existing product development and the learning curve. Just saying I am not going to renew because they should spend more time on Windows is not really a viable solution. Yet, over the years I don’t feel like I’ve spend too much money on it and I’d gladly spend more if Windows was better. I’ll continue to renew, even if being slightly put-off on the state of windows. If there was a way to help steer their resources, even if it required a monetary carrot to push my agenda it might be worth it in the long run, especially if my goals align with others and collectively we have the financial resources to make it impossible for Xojo to ignore.

I look at it like this: - I may not be happy - it’s going to cost me something to switch platforms (this would be big in $$ and time) - could I be made happy by spending half of this on pushing Xojo to fix “my” issues - are there other users that feel the same about the same issues - add their money to the pool - Xojo fixes issue - repeat?

Thoughts?

[quote=346149:@Joseph Evert]
Food for thought and an interesting proposition. The users fund “features” then Xojo collects the funds once the feature has been implemented.[/quote]
I would expect there’d be some requirement for a certain amount up front
Thats pretty normal for a feature that is done “for hire”

BUT - and I say this with all sincerity - this is NOT my area of “authority” so I’ll just stop right now as this IS specualtion on my part about what COULD be done
Geoff is the right person to put this kind of question to