2017r2 Segmentation fault

Trying to use the latest release -
In a simple, just started project, I drag a custom, canvas based pushbutton (which I have used for months in earlier versions) onto the window. I edit a property in the inspector. Seg Fault!!

These are the error codes:
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.

(Xojo:2606): Gtk-WARNING **: Symbolic icon document-open-recent-symbolic-ltr of size 16 is in an icon theme directory of size 96

(Xojo:2606): Gtk-WARNING **: Symbolic icon folder-documents-symbolic-ltr of size 16 is in an icon theme directory of size 96

(Xojo:2606): Gtk-WARNING **: Symbolic icon folder-download-symbolic-ltr of size 16 is in an icon theme directory of size 96

(Xojo:2606): Gtk-WARNING **: Symbolic icon folder-music-symbolic-ltr of size 16 is in an icon theme directory of size 96

(Xojo:2606): Gtk-WARNING **: Symbolic icon folder-pictures-symbolic-ltr of size 16 is in an icon theme directory of size 96

(Xojo:2606): Gtk-WARNING **: Symbolic icon folder-videos-symbolic-ltr of size 16 is in an icon theme directory of size 96

(Xojo:2606): Gtk-WARNING **: Symbolic icon user-trash-symbolic-ltr of size 16 is in an icon theme directory of size 96

(Xojo:2606): Gtk-WARNING **: Symbolic icon drive-harddisk-symbolic-ltr of size 16 is in an icon theme directory of size 96

(Xojo:2606): Gtk-WARNING **: Symbolic icon media-eject-symbolic-ltr of size 16 is in an icon theme directory of size 96
(Xojo:2606): Gtk-WARNING **: Symbolic icon folder-symbolic-ltr of size 16 is in an icon theme directory of size 96
(Xojo:2606): Gtk-WARNING **: SyGtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
(Xojo:2606): Gtk-WARNING **: Symbolic icon document-open-recent-symbolic-ltr of size 16 is in an icon theme directory of size 96
(Xojo:2606): Gtk-WARNING **: Symbolic icon folder-documents-symbolic-ltr of size 16 is in an icon theme directory of size 96
(Xojo:2606): Gtk-WARNING **: Symbolic icon folder-download-symbolic-ltr of size 16 is in an icon theme directory of size 96
(Xojo:2606): Gtk-WARNING **: Symbolic icon folder-music-symbolic-ltr of size 16 is in an icon theme directory of size 96
(Xojo:2606): Gtk-WARNING **: Symbolic icon folder-pictures-symbolic-ltr of size 16 is in an icon theme directory of size 96
(Xojo:2606): Gtk-WARNING **: Symbolic icon folder-videos-symbolic-ltr of size 16 is in an icon theme directory of size 96
(Xojo:2606): Gtk-WARNING **: Symbolic icon user-trash-symbolic-ltr of size 16 is in an icon theme directory of size 96
(Xojo:2606): Gtk-WARNING **: Symbolic icon drive-harddisk-symbolic-ltr of size 16 is in an icon theme directory of size 96
(Xojo:2606): Gtk-WARNING **: Symbolic icon media-eject-symbolic-ltr of size 16 is in an icon theme directory of size 96
(Xojo:2606): Gtk-WARNING **: Symbolic icon folder-symbolic-ltr of size 16 is in an icon theme directory of size 96
(Xojo:2606): Gtk-WARNING **: Symbolic icon drive-harddisk-symbolic of size 16 is in an icon theme directory of size 96
(Xojo:2606): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_menu_attach_to_widget(): menu already attached to GtkImageMenuItem
Segmentation faultmbolic icon document-open-recent-symbolic-ltr of size 16 is in an icon theme directory of size 96
(Xojo:2606): Gtk-WARNING **: Symbolic icon drive-harddisk-symbolic of size 16 is in an icon theme directory of size 96
(Xojo:2606): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_menu_attach_to_widget(): menu already attached to GtkImageMenuItem
Segmentation fault

All but the last line show up as the project is opened.

I’d like to send in a bug report, but I’m using the recommended platform (32 bit Mint 18) and the feedback won’t run on that platform.
Any ideas?
Don

Try using GDB to see that error.

@Don Jungk

Are you using HiDPI or a custom DPI for your system?

I will take a look at that, but I remember back in the RB days, (I think it was) Joe strout who said that Seg Faults were always an error in the RB framework, that we users couldn’t cause them. The custom control that is causing this is pretty simple and I’d be glad to let anyone who wants to take a look at it.

More info:
I got the seg fault with a control that I added to the window of a project that already had one on it. When I try to add the control to a virgin project, the project will not accept the drop. I can’t add it to the project. But if I drag the control onto the Xojo icon to create a new project, it launches and crashes trying to put the control on the window.
Don

what distro ? what version ? sample project that reproduces this ?

you know … all the usual stuff we ask

FWIW we are aware of the gtk icon size warnings
the seg fault is the concerning one

run the IDE from a terminal window & see if you get anything else would you ?

Hi Norman,
As I said in the first post, Mint 18, 32 bit, trying to use 2017r2.
The error messaage I put in the first message above is the one I copied from the terminal window.
I don’t see a way to attach a file to posts here. Is there away? I’d like to use the Feedback app, but it doesn’t run on 32 bit systems.
I think I have your email from the Xojo NUG email list. Can I send a sample file to you, or is there a better way?

Trying to help,
Don

[quote=345938:@Don Jungk]
I don’t see a way to attach a file to posts here. Is there away? [/quote]
or just copy paste into a post here
there may not be anything more in the terminal but I’m sure hoping there is
something about what causes the fault - which unless you start the ide from terminal you often wont see

Hi Norman,
I did launch the IDE from the terminal window.
I have simplified the app and my custom control is not the cause. It also happens with only a few built-in controls.

All I have to do to cause a seg fault is try to edit the name of a control in the Inspector.

Here is the error message from the newer simpler app.:
dpjungk@Blue2 ~/xojo2017r2 $ ./Xojo
openjdk version “1.8.0_131”
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_131-8u131-b11-0ubuntu1.16.04.2-b11)
OpenJDK Server VM (build 25.131-b11, mixed mode)

(Xojo:3430): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_menu_attach_to_widget(): menu already attached to GtkImageMenuItem
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.

(Xojo:3430): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_menu_attach_to_widget(): menu already attached to GtkImageMenuItem
Segmentation fault
dpjungk@Blue2 ~/xojo2017r2 $

Don

email me offlist with a sample, steps, etc etc

It’s sent. Sometimes attaching files causes my emails to be sorted into spam. If you don’t see it, that may have happened.
Don

got the project
opened it
following the instructions saying “change the name and click”

no seg fault

trying some more stuff

Hi Norman,
This morning I put a 64 bit Mint on one of the drives and tried the file I sent you. On 64 bit, it does not produce a segmentation fault, only on 32 bit.
Hope that helps
Don