Xojo 2017R2 - Rainbow pointer

I noticed when I move the Xojo window, the mouse pointer changes in the rainbow pointer and CPU load peaks for 3-4 seconds.
Mostly happens with bigger projects.

Anyone else noticing this?

BTW macOS

Have not noticed this, Mac OS 10.11.6 on a Retina display.

It only happens with large projects. Small and medium does not trigger this issue.

not with the IDE
nor in a project I put together specifically to test the limits of the IDE that have 1500 windows, 1500 containers, and very large numbers of menu bars & other items (this one takes about 15-20 minutes to open)

I consider the Shorts project a very large project. I tested with FTC just in case. I’ve dragged between the retina and non-retina screens. I tested with a large web project as well (just in case it was related to the web drawing which took a while to catch up to desktop drawing).

I can’t cause it to beachball. I’m not saying it doesn’t for you, I’m just saying I haven’t seen the behavior having used the beta and the release that just came out.

Perhaps it’s a combination of displayed methods and other options? Make a screen recording and file a bug report!

does it happen only when yo have one specific window open in the layout editor and move the IDE window ?
what other circumstances can it be narrowed down to ?

[quote=345702:@Norman Palardy]does it happen only when yo have one specific window open in the layout editor and move the IDE window ?
what other circumstances can it be narrowed down to ?[/quote]

Happens with any time. Will make a screencast at add a feedback case.

<https://xojo.com/issue/49183>

When dragging the Xojo IDE and a large project is loaded you get a rainbow pointer for some seconds.
Also, when dragging the left and top side of the Xojo IDE, you get large delays and the Xojo IDE goes black.

I made a screencast with Screenflow. Apparently Screenflow does not capture the pointer going into the rainbow pointer but it happens always when moving the Xojo IDE.
I now also tried to resize the Xojo IDE with the left and top side and then the mouse pointer movement gets very choppy AND the Xojo IDE turns black for some seconds.
Resizing the bottom and right side does not trigger this issue.

So, watch the screencast fully. Sadly the rainbow pointer isn’t captured but the IDE going black is.

I tried this on my latest MBPr Early 2017, MBP2014 and iMac 5K. All have the same issue.

Note: it only happens with two projects I have. Smaller ones do not trigger this.

For some reason I can only make private feedback cases. So its Xojo staf only.

I get that with other applications too (the Finder, Preview)… I even get a black Clipboard when dealing with the Preview application and I close the original file I take a copy from.

I do not know why this happens (El Capitan).

What version of Feedback are you running?

[quote=345799:@Emile Schwarz]I get that with other applications too (the Finder, Preview)… I even get a black Clipboard when dealing with the Preview application and I close the original file I take a copy from.

I do not know why this happens (El Capitan).[/quote]

It happens on 10.12.6 and 10.11.4 and only see this happening with the Xojo IDE 2017R2. I have no such issues with other apps.

In the meantime we are one step further: it has something todo with the tabs. When moving the IDE window, every tab is refreshed and that seems to trigger the rainbow or black screen.

2017r1.2

BTW when needed I can remake a screencast using my iPhone so the rainbow pointer is seen.

Do you have a complex window open in one of the tabs, like a large amount of controls on the window?

Yes, and closing that tab fixed the issue.
This never was the case with previous Xojo versions.

The layout editor is not the quickest; my guess is that you have a rather complex interface probably with lots and lots of controls, so it takes a while to update them all.

I seem to recall reading that Xojo uses drawinto for the layout designer.

Yes Sam, that is correct. It has something todo with using a lot of controls. But again, this didn’t happen with previous Xojo versions.
Its very clear the IDE now updates all tabs, even if they are not active, when moving the IDE or scale it at the left or top.

I referred back to the R2017R1.1 - R2 is unusable for me.

Can’t you make that window with less control (to get better UI) ?

It’s a containercontrol with about 40 controls. Spread over 5 PagePanels.

I am experiencing the same problem with Xojo 2017, R2.1. When I move the IDE, I get the beach ball which remains for sometimes up to 5 seconds. The problem does not occur when I run the same project on Xojo 2016 R 4.1. It works without any lag.

It is a very large project with lots of windows and lots of controls on each window. Moving controls around the IDE in a large project can be slow, and that is why I purchased a new faster, iMac.

It is a iMac 5K 27-inch 2017, 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7 with 64 GB of memory. Running macOS 10.12.6.

Even with all of that, I still get the spinning beach ball on 2017 R 2.1, but not at all with 2016 R 4.1.

So there is something wrong. The spinning beach ball is very noticeable and kind-of annoying when you are trying to work.