OPC Data Client (by OPC Labs)

1. last week

William R

Aug 11 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

I'm prototyping a connection to an industrial controller for Read/Write of its tags via OPC and looking for feedback from anyone who's done this before. I asked the vendor of the 'OPC Data Client' software I'm going to test out if they'd heard of or used RB/Xojo in the past, and they responded

I have never worked with someone using Xojo before - but as long as it can instantiate and use COM objects - it should be able to work.

I came across them via this link , which lead me to believe this could in fact be a potential solution.

Thanks to anyone who can offer some feedback regarding the area of OPC, using COM objects in this respect, or guidance of any kind.

2. Eugene D

Aug 11 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Canada scispec.ca

@WilliamReynolds Thanks to anyone who can offer some feedback regarding the area of OPC, using COM objects in this respect, or guidance of any kind.

HI William,

I have not worked with OPC, and have worked with quite a few COM objects in Xojo. If working COM code was developed on Realbasic, then there is a good possibility that it will work with Xojo. Most of the Realbasic code works in Xojo with some few minor adjustments needed.

Although OPC Labs shows a two-line portion of code, setting it up can be quite another issue. Is there a possibility that you can try a demonstration version before paying money for the full COM application?

3. William R

Aug 11 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

Yes, I will definitely use a demo of the OPC Data Client before committing my $, for sure! I'll post my progress here for anyone else who might benefit. As a small bit of background the reason for my need for this OPC connection is to open/close valves and other automated components of a Plant system we have - specifically in a test lab where we hope to write some very advanced automated test 'scripts' in Xojo, for testing of the hardware attached to the automation system.

Hopefully I'll get time Monday to get things rolling.

4. Eugene D

Aug 11 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Canada scispec.ca

I have used the Raspberry Pi for monitoring remote wells and made some lab equipment. It would seem to be much easier if OPC has the drivers already written for the components in Windows.

OPC sounds really interesting :)

5. Maurizio R

Aug 12 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

Open source OPC client/server library

6. 6 days ago

William R

Aug 15 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

Maurizio - the link you sent is fascinating. The OPC Server I'm attaching to uses (older) COM technologies, and it looks like the 'open62541' you referenced works with the (new) OPC UA architecture. I'll definitely give this a look - thanks!

or Sign Up to reply!