Heat from older Mac Pro

1. 3 months ago

Bill

Aug 3 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Longview Texas

For reasons too long and obtuse to tell here, I am using my OLD (early 2008) Mac Pro in my home office where I actually do most of my work and a new Mac Pro (the d**n trashcan) in my actual office.

With outside ambient temps in NE Texas hitting high 90s the and thing generates as much heat as it does, my office gets unbearably hot. I guess it's time to spring for a new machine and I have sworn to myself that I am going to switch back to Windows. I'm already running Win with Parallels and switching back and forth but now I guess it's time to put up or shut up about MacOS....

2. Susan F

Aug 3 McKinney, Texas
    Edited 3 months ago by Susan F

Have you considered getting a laptop fan and setting it on your desk with the Mac on top of it? It might make a huge difference.

- Also in NE Texas, where it is NOT a dry heat!

3. Bill

The unit is under the edge of the desk - too heavy for the top. And I do have a fan that blows under the desk to try to cool it down.

I have been leaving it on all the time but I have started turning it off if I am going to be gone for awhile and at night....

The older Mac is stuck at El Capitan - won't run anything past that so it's going to have to be replaced anyway in the fairly near future.

4. Susan F

Aug 3 McKinney, Texas

FWIW - the new ones do run cooler.

5. Joost R

Aug 3 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro The Netherlands

Susan is right. It's time to drop the legacy and go for a state of the art Mac, which you will not regret.

6. Paul L

Aug 3 Xojo Inc http://developer.xojo.com

Living in Maine, I like that my Mac Pro (2009) also functions as a space heater in the cool season (which is most of the year). It does heat up my small office a bit more than I'd like on hot days here, but a small fan works for me.

I though everyone in Texas had air conditioning!

7. Dave S

Aug 3 San Diego, California USA

I have an older 2006 MacPro..... that interestingly ran very quiet and relatively cooler when it was my main machine.... now it it set up to boot directly to Windows 10 via Bootcamp for those times when I want to test an Xojo app under Windows.... and now it runs super warm, and the fans are always running (not like a jet engine, but more than before)

8. Joost R

Aug 3 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro The Netherlands
    Edited 3 months ago by Joost R

@Paul Lefebvre I though everyone in Texas had air conditioning!

Apparently not. May be the combination of old power consuming machines and high temperatures in Texas sometimes leads to overheated developers. (it's just not Xojo)

9. Tim P

Aug 3 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro ⭐️

@Paul L Living in Maine, I like that my Mac Pro (2009) also functions as a space heater in the cool season (which is most of the year).

Not even joking I would start up video processing just to warm up my laptop when I lived in NY.

10. Bill

Edited 3 months ago by Bill

Oh I've got A/C all right. It's just that the office is in the corner of the house and at the end of the A/C ductwork. Combine that with the "little heater" and it's just too much. I'd have to keep the rest of the house at 65 to keep the office really comfortable.

I agree - it's time to replace it.

And, Joost, I have what you are calling state of the art at the office. It's last years MacPro "Trash Can". As I said, I'm going back to Windows...

11. Markus W

Aug 3 #JeSuisHuman Europe (Germany)...

@BillPlunkett And, Joost, I have what you are calling state of the art at the office. It's last years MacPro "Trash Can". As I said, I'm going back to Windows...

I'll take the trash can. Can give you a hexacore PC with 32 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HD, etc etc. ;-)

12. Paul R

Aug 5 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Kirkland, WA

Mebbe you need a fan on the a/c duct to suck more cold air into the room. I put such a device on my floor register duct and it made quite a bit of difference.

13. 2 months ago

@Markus W I'll take the trash can. Can give you a hexacore PC with 32 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HD, etc etc. ;-)

Apparently, this would be a good trade for Markus.

14. I'm not what I would consider a professional user, but I love my trash can. :-)

or Sign Up to reply!