TempSaveFile#####

Has anyone else seen a problem with the IDE occasionally locking up during a save and leaving a TempSaveFile##### around? When I checked the file out, it was part of a *.xojo_code file. And the save only save part (roughly half by guestimate) of the files/changes.

I checked Feedback.app and didnt find any cases.

rMBP
Xojo 2017r1.1
MBS Plugins
Text Format (.xojo_projects)
saving to a directory on a FAST SSD, not in a shared folder (e.g. Dropbox/Google Drive/OneDrive/iCloud Drive/Amazon Drive/etc)

and when this happens, I can never save back to that folder until I delete ALL files/folders (if it is under git control, I can leave the .git folder).

thanks
sb

I’d run a diagnostic on the disk and repair permissions etc
We write to a tempfile & swap that with the original using an OS mechanism so the fact they are left half written indicates something else is going on
Especially since you say

[quote=342583:@scott boss]
and when this happens, I can never save back to that folder until I delete ALL files/folders [/quote]

[quote=342589:@Norman Palardy]I’d run a diagnostic on the disk and repair permissions etc
We write to a tempfile & swap that with the original using an OS mechanism so the fact they are left half written indicates something else is going on
Especially since you say[/quote]

did that. disk/filesystem was fine

I misspoke. I can write to the folder with terminal/iTerm, finder, etc. Just NOT with Xojo. If I try to write to that directory again with Xojo, it locks up again and again. Until I clean the directory then it can write to that directory.

In all my years of using and woking on the product I’ve never seen such a thing
What OS ?
What version ?
What file system ?
Case sensitive or not ?
As many details as you can would be useful

That cleaning the dir helps is really screwy

Can save the project elsewhere ok ?

knew you would ask so i answered in original post.

me too that is why I asked.

Mac OS X 10.12.6

Xojo 2107R1.1 (have R2 Beta installed on the Mac in another directory).
Mac OSX 10.12.6

Mac OSX Extended (Journaled)

Not

I have all the MBS Plugins loaded along with the Xojo supplied ones.

I have only used Xojo 2017R1.1 IDE with this code base. No Betas. No versions prior to 2017R1.1

yes. Again I agree. and this is really baffling.

well I have to Force-Quit Xojo IDE. then reloaded the source code then I can save it elsewhere.

It has happened 3 times this week (Monday - Today) and I have rebooted every day at least once (which is very unusual for me). I generally only reboot when I have to (like OSX patching).

One time the .xojo_project has references in its path for some of the modules/classes to be in .Trash. And I had to manually edit the file to clean it up.

Still really strikes me there is some weird voodoo with that dir or drive but you say disk utility gives it a clean bill of health
Can you save some other project as text in there without issue ?

EDIT:And I just checked the IDE code base and we do NOT move any project files to the trash
I really think there’s “something wrong” but I’ll be danged if I have a clue what
Almost sounds like cross linked iNodes or something but … again if Disk utility isn’t finding anything I have no idea what else it might be

[quote=342634:@Norman Palardy]Still really strikes me there is some weird voodoo with that dir or drive but you say disk utility gives it a clean bill of health
Can you save some other project as text in there without issue ?[/quote]

I am working on 3 different projects currently and other 2 work flawlessly.

[quote=342634:@Norman Palardy]EDIT:And I just checked the IDE code base and we do NOT move any project files to the trash
I really think there’s “something wrong” but I’ll be danged if I have a clue what
Almost sounds like cross linked iNodes or something but … again if Disk utility isn’t finding anything I have no idea what else it might be[/quote]

I agree completely. I am not blaming Xojo (IDE) for this. But on the machine it is the only app that has issues. The system although it 2 years old was recently (~month) wiped completely and installed to 10.11, then upgraded to 10.12.

Thanks for verifying that the issue is within my machine and not an IDE issue.

Weird - very weird

I have had various times when opening my project that Xojo was asking for a TempSaveFile#####.
This TempSaveFile##### was nowhere to be found, but the original xojo_xxxx file did exist.
(This xojo_xxxx file hadn’t been changed for months)
When I added that xojo_xxxx file in the project everything was fine again.
I saved the project and closed Xojo, no TempSaveFile##### was found in the project folder/sub folders.
Opened Xojo and the project again, and Xojo was asking me for the same TempSaveFile##### again.
It appeared to me that the Xxxxxxxx.xojo_project isn’t correctly updated.
In 99% of the cases it was the AppFileTypes.xojo_filetypeset that was causing this issue.
I finally had to edit the Xxxxxxxx.xojo_project file and replace the TempSaveFile##### with the correct xojo_xxxx file name every time this happened again.