C style unions in Xojo?

I am working on a project that communicates serially with a device and I’m finding that I’d like to use something like a C style union to allow me to easily look at the data in different formats. Unions provide a way to freely convert data from one format to another, simply by writing the data into the Union as one data format, and reading the data back as another. Is something like this available in Xojo?

If a union like mechanism isn’t available could the same thing be accomplished by defining several structures that point to the same block of memory?

I’m pretty new to Xojo so forgive me if I’ve overlooked something obvious.

-Wes

perhaps a memoryblock might help replicate the functions you seek…(based solely on your post, as I have never used “C” unions)

yes a memory block could do it
also a xojo structure as you can get the content of the datas as a bytes array
http://developer.xojo.com/structure

[quote=342154:@Wes Westhaver]I am working on a project that communicates serially with a device and I’m finding that I’d like to use something like a C style union to allow me to easily look at the data in different formats. Unions provide a way to freely convert data from one format to another, simply by writing the data into the Union as one data format, and reading the data back as another. Is something like this available in Xojo?

If a union like mechanism isn’t available could the same thing be accomplished by defining several structures that point to the same block of memory?

I’m pretty new to Xojo so forgive me if I’ve overlooked something obvious.

-Wes[/quote]
Kind of

suppose the structures (unions) start off with a “type” or “switchcode” byte
then you could do something like this

Structure Structure1
  switchCode as uint8 
  rest(4) as uint8
End Structure

Structure Structure2
  switchCode as  uint8
  val1 as uint16
  val2 as uint16
End Structure

Structure Structure3
  switchCode as uint8 
  val1 as uint32
End Structure

Dim mb As new MemoryBlock(5)

mb.Byte(0) = &h20
mb.UInt16Value(1) = 32
mb.UInt16Value(3) = 254

Dim p As ptr = mb

Dim s1 As structure1 =  p.structure1 // makes it so I can read the data in mb using the fields from structure1

Select Case s1.switchcode

Case &h20
  Dim s2 As structure2 =  p.structure2 // makes it so I can read the data in mb using the fields from structure2
  Dim value1 As UInt16 = s2.val1
  Dim value2 As UInt16 = s2.val2
  Break

Case &h21
  Dim s3 As structure3 =  p.structure3 // makes it so I can read the data in mb using the fields from structure3
  Dim value1 As UInt32 = s3.val1
  Break

End Select