High Sierra: AppleFSCompression-unsupported compressor

What is an unsupported compressor for AppleFSCompression? I’m trying to track down why my app is so slow on High Sierra and had a look at the console messages when starting. I get similar messages for the couple of projects that I tried to run. Are these relevant in any way or is this just the usual console junk?

Goggle hasn’t been very helpful when searching for AppleFSCompression issues.

Also the messages about “UNIX error exception: 17” and VCPHEVC also showed up for the projects I tried.

standard 19:17:05.895752 +0200 Index Helper.debug /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50: Error: unsupported compressor 8
standard 19:17:05.895826 +0200 Index Helper.debug /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file ‘/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Exceptions.plist’
standard 19:17:05.897785 +0200 Index Helper.debug /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50: Error: unsupported compressor 8
standard 19:17:05.897862 +0200 Index Helper.debug /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file ‘/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/AppExceptions.bundle/Exceptions.plist’
standard 19:17:08.080081 +0200 kernel [IGPU] (pid=58130,name=Index Helper.deb,windowserver=0) Priority change requested, but is not entitled!
standard 19:17:08.080103 +0200 kernel [IGPU] (pid=58130,name=Index Helper.deb,windowserver=0) Priority change requested, but is not entitled!
standard 19:17:08.269399 +0200 Index Helper.debug UNIX error exception: 17
standard 19:17:08.277361 +0200 Index Helper.debug UNIX error exception: 17
standard 19:17:08.283655 +0200 Index Helper.debug UNIX error exception: 17
standard 19:17:08.342904 +0200 Index Helper.debug Error loading /System/Library/Video/Plug-Ins/VCPHEVC.bundle/Contents/MacOS/VCPHEVC: dlopen(/System/Library/Video/Plug-Ins/VCPHEVC.bundle/Contents/MacOS/VCPHEVC, 262): no suitable image found. Did find:
/System/Library/Video/Plug-Ins/VCPHEVC.bundle/Contents/MacOS/VCPHEVC: no matching architecture in universal wrapper
/System/Library/Video/Plug-Ins/VCPHEVC.bundle/Contents/MacOS/VCPHEVC: no matching architecture in universal wrapper
standard 19:17:08.342994 +0200 Index Helper.debug FigRegistryItemGetFactory signalled err=-12692 (kFigRegistryCodeLoadFailedErr) () at /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/CoreMedia_frameworks/CoreMedia-2042.4.4/Sources/Core/FigRegistry/FigRegistry.c:540
standard 19:17:08.343036 +0200 Index Helper.debug VTSelectAndCreateVideoEncoderInstanceInternal signalled err=-12908 (kVTCouldNotFindVideoEncoderErr) (NULL factory function) at /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/CoreMedia_frameworks/CoreMedia-2042.4.4/Sources/VideoToolbox/VTVideoEncoderSelection.c:1431
standard 19:17:08.343077 +0200 Index Helper.debug VTTileCompressionSessionCreate signalled err=-12908 (err) (Could not select and open encoder instance) at /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/CoreMedia_frameworks/CoreMedia-2042.4.4/Sources/VideoToolbox/VTTile/VTTileCompressionSession.c:718
standard 19:17:15.925569 +0200 Index Helper.debug LSExceptions shared instance invalidated for timeout.

I forgot: Xojo 2017r1, 32bit.

Files on macOS can be transparently compressed.
the ditto app can create those on the command line, see hfs compression in their documentation.

1. HEVC (VCPHEVC) is the ‘new’ video compression standard that Apple talked about at the recent WWDC.

2. [quote]/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file ‘/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Exceptions.plist’
    standard 19:17:05.897785 +0200 Index Helper.debug [/quote]

Seems to me like your application is doing something it shouldn’t or the OS is really borked up.

1. High Sierra is slow on my test machine, it’s slower than Sierra, laggy lag OS. I’m guessing this might be because it’s a beta and potentially has some debugging code profiling in the back ground. Heck browsing the interwebs with Safari causes a thermal warning and asks me to shut down Safari.

2. Are you really working with video?

@Sam:

1. No video at all.

2. This is with all 3 projects that I tested yesterday evening. Could you check if you also see this in the console?

3. That’s good news for me. But then your computers all seem really strange. Archiving about 1000 mails takes 7 seconds on my Hackintosh and 22 seconds on the Air with High Sierra. I’m trying to find out what is causing this.

4. Really no video. I tested yesterday a test project for AppleScript, the main app and the helper app. The test project for AppleScript doesn’t even have an interface except for an empty main window.

@Christian: these are Xojo apps running out of the box. On a garden variety High Sierra installation. I’m not much into the MacOS entrails but either there is a problem in MacOS or with Xojo.

I’m not seeing these errors when testing my Xojo made apps on High Sierra, I have other problems and one of my apps is pretty much dead.

I suspect that this may be an issue within your installation of High Sierra, I’ve seen a few people on Reddit who’ve had strange problems because they upgraded from Sierra to High Sierra and apparently it doesn’t like that. Supposedly the best way to upgrade is to wipe your HDD clean, install HS and then use the migration assistant to copy your apps and data back across.

@Sam: yeah, that sounds better than using diskutil. Using the command line for something like creating a new partition doesn’t give me warm and fuzzy feelings.

I’m seeing tons of these messages as well, using the 10.13 GM. Anyone figured out what this is about?

Edit to add:

• This was a fresh install of High Sierra (e.g. not an upgrade from Sierra)
  • my apps are built with Xojo 2014R2.1
  • Could it have something to do with plists? My build scripts convert plists to text format, e.g.
  // Converts plist to text-based XML format (easier to work with)
  function ConvertPlistToXML() as string
    // note: CurrentBuildLocation is already escaped
    // convert it XML format for ease of use
    dim cmd as string = "plutil -convert xml1 " + CurrentBuildLocation +"/"+ chr(34) +  CurrentBuildAppName + chr(34)+".app/Contents/Info.plist"
    dim err as string= doshellcommand(cmd)
    return err
  end function

Update:

I don’t think it’s due to my plist hacking. I see the same problem with a simple “Hello World” app:

• compiled with Xojo 2014R2.1 or
  • compiled with Xojo 2017R2.1

I expect this to be a bug in macOS.
Some framework fails to read a file. Maybe debugging low level may reveal where the error is from.

You may have to resort to using API to read plist files.

I agree. 32-bit processes seem to support less filesystem compression methods than 64-bit ones for some reason.

Just to clarify: this has nothing to do with plists - a plain vanilla Xojo “hello world” app triggers it.

It’s time to go 64bit it seems. It’s coming along but it’s not quite there, yet. The spawn problem is the biggest issue. This one is driving me nuts: <https://xojo.com/issue/48395> . But I think I’m the only one affected.