Xojo 2017r1.1 IDE opens bigger than the monitor

I’ve only just started using 2017r1.1 and another annoying problem. The Xojo app sometimes opens too big for the monitor (1440x900). Even when I remove the task bars from the screen, I can’t reach the bottom of the window to reduce the size of the window and things are lost at the bottom. I can open the project in an older version (2016r4), make some small change and then resave the project. It will nw open ok in 2017r1.1. But this constant resaving between two versions seems a bad idea. Is there a config file that can be edited? or a setting somewhere?
Thanks you for your time,
Don Jungk

Did you set the screen resolution right? I’ve had this too when the resolution was set a little too big.

Where would I set the resolution? It’s the Xojo IDE window that is too big. Is there a preference setting for screen size somewhere?

Thank you for your time,
Don

sounds like its restoring a previous size that was larger

not knowing what linux distro you’re using makes it hard to suggest “fixes”
but in some you get the task bar and can just click on the icon there representing the IDE and select “maximize” and the IDE will resize to fit the screen
IF that doesnt work then there would appear to be something about your set up that makes the IDE think the available screen size is different than what the system thinks it is

Hi Norman,
Sorry, I forgot this info: I see it on two systems: Mint 18 with MATE Desktop and also on Debian 7 with MATE.
Yes, I assume that it is remembering a previous setting, but it is remembering it wrong.

Where is this window size remembered? If it is in the project file, then Xojo 2016 fixes it as it opens. It is only 2071r1 or 2017r1.1 that opens it too big.

The first thing I tried was maximize and reminimize, but that does nothing. I know it’s hard to fix something that you can’t duplicate, but I thought maybe someone else might have seen it.
Thank you for your time.
Don

The IDE window size is not saved per project
But what IS saved is the state - minimized / maximized so it sounds like 2016 is restoring that OK but 2017 is restoring just the saved size

There is a hidden file on Linux in your home dir named .Xojo.Xojo
Its XML
The item you’d be looking for is

<key>StudioMainWindow Bounds</key>

and it would be followed by the dimensions

Hi Norman
Well, I looked at the .xojo.xojo file and the key you mentioned was not in it. but even stranger, it was a truncated file, only 19 lines long and not a complete XML file.
I altered the file to the point Xojo wouldn’t read it. It asked me to download my license key, which I did. I then opened a new project, saved it and the .xojo.xojo file was now complete ( about 122 lines ). It had the Window position key with the position: -7, -13, 1088, 611.
(Why negative numbers?)
As a test, I edited the numbers to -7, -13, 988, 411 and the saved empty project. It then opened with the new size. I opened and saved my actual project and the .xojo.xojo file is again truncated to 19 lines. Could there be something in a project file that couls do this?
For the moment, opening the project in an old version and resaving works, so it’s not super critical, but maybe of interest to Xojo.
I’ll paste in the truncated file at the end.
Thank you for your help,
Don

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> Control Font Courier 10 Pitch Control Font Size 13 License Agreed v2 User Name Don Jungk Recent Items Dict AbsolutePath /home/dpjungk/Desktop/untitled.xojo_binary_project SaveInfo

Don,

as a temp work-around, you can resize down the window if you have the chance to have one of its border visible.

Also: MATE appears in both cases. Don’t you think it can be the problem ? Try (if youc an) a non MATE linux.

I see Linux distros (an some Windows ?) that enlarge the window to the full monitor size if I am unlucky to place its top boundary at the Monitor top ! (I hate that).

Note to self: I have to remove one default (center the window on some case: drag and drop) because it annoy me too precisely when I drop data into it from another application. :frowning:

AHA! I should have thought of this last night. The .xojo.xojo file is not truncated. I was opening the XML in a text editor which stopped reading when it came to a null character. It opens completely in a hex editor. For the moment, I guess I can write a script to edit this file each time before opening the project.

Thanks Norman and Emile,
Don

Oh, and Emile, that bit where it maximizes if you accidently leave the window to close to the top of the monitor annoys me too.

[quote=340646:@Don Jungk]Hi Norman
Well, I looked at the .xojo.xojo file
[/quote]
Linux is case sensitive
It should be .Xojo.Xojo
if there’s another dont touch it

not that I’m aware of but again the name is case sensitive

[quote=340646:@Don Jungk]
For the moment, opening the project in an old version and resaving works, so it’s not super critical, but maybe of interest to Xojo.
I’ll paste in the truncated file at the end.
Thank you for your help,
Don

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> Control Font Courier 10 Pitch Control Font Size 13 License Agreed v2 User Name Don Jungk Recent Items Dict AbsolutePath /home/dpjungk/Desktop/untitled.xojo_binary_project SaveInfo [/quote]

Oh I bet its not truncated but contains a chrb(0) at that point so it appears truncated

some editors, like xed on Mint, wont open such a file