Temporary FolderItems - Recovered Items in Trash

1. ‹ Older
  2. 4 months ago

Michael D

Jul 25 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

@Kem T BTW, telling your customer to get a life is another good option...

For every bug that is reported by customers, I'm pretty sure 99 other ones are not, so I try to be appreciative that they took the time to report it at all. I agree that this particular one seems like a very small issue to me, but I really want to find out what's happening so that I can tell them whether it can or can't be fixed.

3. Tanner L

is not verified Jul 25 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Toronto, Canada

@Michael D Right, that's the same behavior I posted in my 2nd message in this thread (but I see it under 10.12.5).

Similar, but Greg mentioned Feedback app as being unaffected by this, and my message specifically counters that claim.

4. Greg O

Jul 25 Xojo Inc Somewhere near Raleigh, NC

@Tanner L I don't know if it's a mutex causing this, but Feedback is leaving a temporary file behind. I just opened Feedback 2017r1.2, then closed it and logged out. Upon logging back in my .Trash directory contained a 0 byte file named "Xojo Feedback" in a dir named "Recovered files".

Here's info on that file:
    $ ls -l@ -rw-r--r--@ 1 user staff 0 Jul 25 06:55 Xojo Feedback com.apple.FinderInfo 32

This is on OSX 10.11.6.

I did check this today and was able to get it to leave the file there. I've added code to delete the file if it still exists after we call Leave.

5. Sam R

Jul 25 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Hengchun, Pingtung, Taiwan

@Greg OLone I did check this today and was able to get it to leave the file there. I've added code to delete the file if it still exists after we call Leave.

I have noticed this recently that folderitem.delete is not 100% reliable, I suppose I should check for errors when it fails. I resorted to moving the files to the trash that I couldn't delete, but in this case it wouldn't solve the OPs problem of customer complaints over temp files in the trash.

6. Norman P

Jul 25 Xojo Inc

when you do find that it doesn't get deleted its often a system level process that is holding it busy
    I've encountered various system ones like mdiutil

lsof will tell you which utility is doing this
    lsof <file>

I know some people have resorted to issuing a "rm" in a shell BUT - big Unix warning here - RM only removes the file when the LAST busy reference to it is gone
    And IF that never occurs you have a file that is gone from the file system as far as you are concerned but that CAN suck up all your disk space if whatever has it open & busy just continues to write to that file

Note the man page for RM says
    The rm utility attempts to remove the non-directory type files specified on the command line. If the
    permissions of the file do not permit writing, and the standard input device is a terminal, the user is
    prompted (on the standard error output) for confirmation.

https://developer.apple.com/legacy/library/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/rm.1.html

RM is not necessarily a "fix"

7. Sam R

Jul 25 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Hengchun, Pingtung, Taiwan

@Norman P I've encountered various system ones like mdiutil

I noticed this yesterday, while trying to write video out, the console gets full of lots of messages from various services starting with 'md' and 'ql' about how they can't understand the video, while I'm bleeding writing it to disk! At least wait until I'm finished you morons.

8. Beatrix W

Jul 25 Pre-Release Testers Europe (Germany)

@Greg: did you fix the mutex in general or only the Feedback problem?

9. Greg O

Jul 26 Xojo Inc Somewhere near Raleigh, NC

@Beatrix W @Greg: did you fix the mutex in general or only the Feedback problem?

On Feedback.

My instinct says it has something to do with the way it was coded though, as Feedback is designed not only to prevent multiple versions from launching, but to also transfer any new command-line options to the running instance.

Essentially, in the Open event we were doing this:

if not mtx.TryEnter then
      SendCommandLine
      TellUser
      Quit
    End If

And then the Close event looked like this:

if mtx <> Nil then
      Try
        Mtx.Leave()
      Catch ex as IllegalLockingException
      End Try
    End If

It seems that the problem is arising from the call to Mutex.Leave when TryEnter returned False. I simply added mtx = Nil just after the TryEnter call, thus causing the Leave block to not be called in that instance. Then after the TryCatch we also attempt to delete the Mutex file.

I have a bug report in progress and it'll be reported today, along with the workaround.

10. Michael D

Aug 4 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

@Greg OLone I have a bug report in progress and it'll be reported today, along with the workaround.

Hi Greg - any updates on this?

11. 2 months ago

Michael D

Sep 11 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

@Michael D Hi Greg - any updates on this?

Bump - Greg, is there a bug report that we can see?

12. Beatrix W

Sep 13 Pre-Release Testers Europe (Germany)

@Greg OLone : hi Greg, I've got a customer complaining about this again. Any news?

13. Michael D

Sep 14 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Answer
    Edited 2 months ago

Update: in my case, I determined that I was storing an array() of Mutex as a global property in a module. I subclassed the Mutex and put a breakpoint in the Destructor, and determined it was never firing. It appears that arrays in modules are not destroyed before app.close is called. Huh. I never knew that.

In any case, I added an explicit call in App.close to redim the array, and (in a belts and suspenders kind of way) also added the following code to my Mutex subclass:

Sub Constructor(name as string)
      me.mName = name ' remember our name for later
      // Calling the overridden superclass constructor.
      Super.Constructor(name)
    End Sub

Sub Destructor()
      #if TargetMacOS
        ' possible workaround for https://forum.xojo.com/41722-temporary-folderitems-recovered-items-in-trash
        dim f as FolderItem = SpecialFolder.Temporary
        if f <> nil then
          f = f.child(mName)
          if f <> nil and f.exists then
            system.debuglog CurrentMethodName + " deleting " + f.name
            f.delete
          end if
        end if
      #endif
      End Sub

Does this fix the problem? Not clear yet.

14. Beatrix W

Sep 14 Pre-Release Testers Europe (Germany)

I need to do more checking in my case.

1) I only use one semaphore in what I call Setup window. It's not a window that a user would open in every day use of my app. I've asked the user about this.

2) Should I see the temp file when doing the semaphore? I've tried and can't see it with Find Any File.

15. Michael D

Sep 14 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

@Beatrix W I need to do more checking in my case.

1) I only use one semaphore in what I call Setup window. It's not a window that a user would open in every day use of my app. I've asked the user about this.

2) Should I see the temp file when doing the semaphore? I've tried and can't see it with Find Any File.

Semaphore or Mutex? I'm seeing the issue with Mutex objects.

16. Beatrix W

Sep 14 Pre-Release Testers Europe (Germany)

Don't have a Mutex only a Semaphore.

17. Greg O

Sep 15 Xojo Inc Somewhere near Raleigh, NC

@Beatrix W @Greg OLone : hi Greg, I've got a customer complaining about this again. Any news?

Sorry yes. What I ended up doing is what I described above.

mtx = new mutex(“appname”)
    If not mtx.tryenter then
        Mtx = Nil
        Quit
    End if

Then in app.close

if mtx <> Nil then
        Mtx.leave
    End if

Dim f as folderitem = specialfolder.Temporary.child(“appname”)
    F.delete

That seems to have fixed the Feedback issue.

18. Michael D

Sep 15 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

@Greg OLone Sorry yes. What I ended up doing is what I described above.

Thanks - my technique (https://forum.xojo.com/conversation/post/350258 ) of subclassing the mutex and putting that code in the destructor seems to work as well.

19. Beatrix W

Sep 15 Pre-Release Testers Europe (Germany)

@Greg O'Lone: thanks, I'll try this and report back.

20. Michael D

Sep 15 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

@Beatrix W Don't have a Mutex only a Semaphore.

Beatrix - since you are using semaphores, possibly it's a different issue for you? Or maybe the same code technique would work.

21. Beatrix W

Sep 16 Pre-Release Testers Europe (Germany)

I have been looking in the wrong project. The helper app to the main app has a mutex, which was causing the problem. Deleting the file in app.close fixed the problem. I still think that Xojo should delete the file itself.

or Sign Up to reply!