.debug file not getting deleted

1. ‹ Older
  2. 2 years ago

Howard W

2 Nov 2017 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers Coeur d'Alene, ID

I wonder if this is this due to APFS in High Sierra?

3. Norman P

2 Nov 2017 Xojo Inc, Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Seeking work. npalardy@great-w...

It seems to be other changes apple introduced before APFS
    At least what I've seen

4. Paul S

2 Nov 2017 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Netherlands, Den Haag)

@Howard W I wonder if this is this due to APFS in High Sierra?

I have High Sierra om a Mac Mini with a 1 TB Fusion Drive.
    The Fusion Drive isn’t converted to APFS and therefore still HFS+.
    The debug file isn’t deleted here either.

5. Norman P

2 Nov 2017 Xojo Inc, Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Seeking work. npalardy@great-w...

Yeah its NOT APFS - there are other Apple processes that frequently have some file in the debug app open

lsof will tell you which processes (see way above where I mentioned this previously)

6. Howard W

7 Nov 2017 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Edited 2 years ago

Here is something interesting ...

This may not be the issue but Iwas debugging an app with the entire project folder on <gasp> Dropbox (a cloud file sharing service). I think there was some hints below that the .debug file issue may be a timing thing. So, as a test, I moved my project to a local drive and the .debug file is deleted as it should be. The next debug session comes up without error this time.
    So perhaps some odd timing or sharing nuance may be causing this? The failure was on the same system and the OS has been updated (macOS 10.13.1).

7. Norman P

7 Nov 2017 Xojo Inc, Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Seeking work. npalardy@great-w...

Yeah dont run projects from dropbox
    Their sync process will almost certainly mess you up in one or more ways

8. Johann K

7 Nov 2017 Perth, Australia

to OSX users

in your close application do the following:

dim sCommand
    dim s As Shell

s = new Shell

ls_command = "rm -rf " + applicationDebugFile.ShellPath

s.Execute(sCommand)

that's it, works perfect

9. Richard D

8 Nov 2017 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (UK, London)

@JohannKienbrandt dim sCommand
    dim s As Shell

s = new Shell

ls_command = "rm -rf " + applicationDebugFile.ShellPath

s.Execute(sCommand)

assume this is only applicable when in debug mode

10. Johann K

8 Nov 2017 Perth, Australia

that's right, but there is no such file in a production version!

11. Sam R

8 Nov 2017 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Hengchun, Pingtung, Taiwan

A word of warning when using "rm -r", always add code to verify that the path you intend to delete is exactly what you think it is. In the past I had a function go wrong and supply the wrong path to the rm -r function, there's no coming back!

12. when I quit an application in the IDE (either correctly by using the Quit menu, or forcefully) the [appname].debug file doesn't get automatically deleted, and requires me manually removing it before I can run in the IDE again

Issue still not resolved. Xojo 2017r3, macOS 10.13.1

13. Norman P

7 Dec 2017 Xojo Inc, Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Seeking work. npalardy@great-w...

when you see this occurring PLEASE open terminal and run

lsof +D <full path to the debug app bundle>

draggin the "debug" file into terminal should give you the right path

We do a low level unlink of the file (which is what rm calls to remove files) but if the file is busy this too can fail

14. 8 months ago

Dan B

21 Nov 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro
    COMMAND   PID        USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF     NODE NAME
    iconservi 472 danberghult  txt    REG    1,4    49575 10852958 /Users/danberghult/Mina prylar/Utveckling/Infomaker Utility Services/Infomaker Utility Services.debug.app/Contents/Resources/App.icn
  15. Jason P

21 Nov 2018 Xojo Inc Texas

That's icon services holding a file busy in a way the IDE cant' delete everything. iconservi 472

16. Sascha S

21 Nov 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Germany

@Jason P That's icon services holding a file busy in a way the IDE cant' delete everything. iconservi 472

May i ask the question why i see this only happen with the Xojo IDE?

17. Jason P

It's not exactly clear to me what "this" you refer to? Files being held busy by OS services? Or did you mean something else?

18. Sascha S

Exactly. Xojo is the only Tool i can experience this behavior. Is there really nothing we/you can do to just being able to Build more than 1 time in a row without having to manually delete the Builds Folder? I mean, i can build and then instantly delete the whole Builds Folder manually and build right away again. But when i build and 5 minutes later try to build again without manually deleting the Builds Folder, this error happens.

19. Jason P

Since we don't know why iconservicesagent, which seems to be a common culprit, is holding the file busy it’s really hard to know what, if anything, we could do to make this *not* happen. We can't kill the iconservicesagent - that would be really unwelcome behaviour on our part. And there's no api to request that it release it.

As for why manually deleting all that works vs the IDE trying to do it programmatically, I'm not sure. We are using the correct methods for removing the files and dirs but obviously with iconservicesagent holding it they fail. Google for iconservicesagent and you''ll find lots of people having issues with it in various ways and not just using Xojo.

As for "is there nothing we can do" I'd ask are you using 10.13? That *seems* to be the common thing among most people experiencing this. I know the engineers work on a variety of systems. Norms on 10.12.6 a lot and never has this issue there. Greg has been working a lot on 10.14 and, as far as I know, is also not having this problem.

Indeed isolating the "what" that causes this repeatedly among the people experiencing it would be awesome as that would help us figure out if it’s something Xojo needs to do differently or if it is just a bug in iconservicesagent that Apple needs to fix. However if it’s only in 10.13 it's unlikely Apple will fix it at this point but still - they might.

20. Sascha S

I am using macOS 10.14.1 (18B75) and sometimes still have to do a rm -rf <the builds folder> before i can do another build. I am currently working around this using build scripts.

21. Wayne G

22 Nov 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro New Zealand axisdirect.nz

Only ever had this happen on Windows when using Dropbox as a store. Perhaps it is time to move to the real world?

22. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!