Things to do in Denver

I’m booking my flights for XDC, and wondering whether to book any extra days so that I can make the most of visiting Denver and Colorado for the first time.

Can anyone give me some advice about interesting things to do while I’m there? Things to do in the city? Trips to the nearby parks?

All advice gratefully received!

Of course add extra days!
Last time there with conference in Boulder, we spend a day walking around in Denver,
Also a day for driving up the Rocky Mountains should be on the list.
I am even considering doing a long drive to north and visit a few things there like the Mount Rushmore National Memorial.

https://www.denver.org/events/?startDate=05%2F20%2F2018&endDate=05%2F27%2F2018&regionids=

There are lots of national parks nearby and that should be a decent time of year to spot a reasonable amount of wildlife.
Caribou Ranch Open Space is one where we spotted an entire herd lounging around.
Its west of Boulder.

Heading directly west from Denver on i70 are lots of natural areas
And once you get to Loveland you drive right through the middle of the ski area (neat tunnel) and can continue to a lot of neat little towns & lots of other ski areas most of which are in various national forests
Its a beautiful drive even if you see nothing else

[quote=338851:@Christian Schmitz]
I am even considering doing a long drive to north and visit a few things there like the Mount Rushmore National Memorial.[/quote]
That might make for a long day - its a 5+ hour drive each way from Denver
Might want to overnight in South Dakota

EDIT : Who knows - MAYBE we’ll luck out and the Colorado Avalanche will make the NHL playoffs which would be starting about then
The Bronco’s wont be playing
Maybe the Rockies or Nuggets will be - but their schedules arent out yet

The Denver Mint is pretty interesting https://www.usmint.gov/about/mint-tours-facilities/denver/visiting-the-denver-mint… but it can be difficult to get tickets… you just have to get in line that morning.

I lived in Colorado for about 4 years, and here is my advice for anyone visiting from lower elevations: don’t plan on physical exertion on day 1, but plan on drinking a LOT of water. Elevation sickness affects people differently. I know of people that rushed up to the towns at 10K feet and then went hiking or skiing … and then their trip was spoiled by headaches and nausea for the next week. If you just take it easy physically for 1 whole day and drink lots of water, you have a great chance of a great trip to The Mile High city and the higher altitude towns. I can’t wait for XDC and a return to one my many past home towns. Colorado is a beautiful state with a lot to offer.

Good advice
I forget all the time that I live well above sea level and never think twice about this :stuck_out_tongue:
While I’m not not quite at 5000 feet I’m a lot closer to Denver’s elevation than I am to sea level

We actually have a blog post on things to do in denver coming very soon!

This all sounds excellent, and I’m intrigued by Dana’s blog post!

Kevin, thanks for the advice about altitude. Maybe I won’t go charging up a mountain the morning after I arrive, jet-lagged and oxygen-deprived :slight_smile:

I’m currently thinking in terms of booking myself an extra couple of days after the conference to head up the mountains and old mining areas.

That’s what I’m planning to do - a few years ago we had the BEST summer vacation in Avon/Vail, so I think we are going to rent a car and head up to the mountains for some hiking and relaxing!

Do we need spray to keep the bears away?

Last time there we didn’t.
But maybe they got new bears?

A gentleman that I work with was just attacked by a bear this weekend when he was geocaching:

concerns with geocaching after man attacked by a grizzly bear.

Although I am in Canada, whether you are in Denver or Canada, be careful when in the mountains.

Just saying…

[quote=339200:@Eugene Dakin]A gentleman that I work with was just attacked by a bear this weekend when he was geocaching:

concerns with geocaching after man attacked by a grizzly bear.

Although I am in Canada, whether you are in Denver or Canada, be careful when in the mountains.

Just saying…[/quote]

Denver can see mountains ( if you are lucky concrete jungle ), but it’s not in the mountains. Been there many times when I lived in Colorado Springs. Things to do in Denver… avoid getting mugged, avoid the homeless, try not to go out during rush hour, avoid all the cannabis shops. Colorado is odd you can not buy a car on Sunday, but every other corner has a liquor store open 24/7

Seriously, check out Red Rock amphitheater and make trip down south to Colorado Springs (much nicer) and check out Garden of the Gods & Cave of the Winds

Denvers tourism web site has a long list of things in & around Denver

https://www.denver.org

Check out our blog post about things to do in Denver - http://blog.xojo.com/2017/07/14/things-to-do-in-denver-while-youre-developing/