Mint via BootCamp or VBox?

I have an older MacPro that has SnowLeopard(?) and WIndows 10 (via bootcamp)
I would like to install Linux Mint to test Xojo apps… and since I’m not a Linux person
I was wondering which would be best.

1. Install Virtual Box on the OSX side and put Mint there
  2. Install Virtual Box on the Win side, and put Mint there
  3. Install Mint as a 3rd boot option under Bootcamp (can that even been done?)

If #3, anyone have step by step instructions?

#1 is the simplest
use an old virtualbox (version 4.x) because the 5.x requires a 10.8 if I remember it.

WOW… Linux is a royal PITA…
I have it running on the MacPro…(Mint/Cinnamon/Sonya 18.2)
It is SUPER SLOW (I can take a nap between mouse clicks)
I have to hunt the web just to figure out how to get the trashcan and computer shortcut on the screen.
I still have not found how to see any drives (HDD or Flash) , even though the “Device Menu” says they are there
Cut/Paste and Drag/Drop from Host to Linux doesn’t work (and yes I have select “Bidirectional for both”)

LOL… all I want to do it move the LINUX.ZIP file (remote debugger stub) from the host machine to the Linux VM
I don’t care if nothing else is installed… but I’ve been fighting with what should be a 10second task for 2 hours now

I’ve installed ubuntu 14 some times ago and did not notice such difficulties ? or don’t remember :wink:

[quote=338859:@Dave S]WOW… Linux is a royal PITA…
I have it running on the MacPro…(Mint/Cinnamon/Sonya 18.2)
It is SUPER SLOW (I can take a nap between mouse clicks)
I have to hunt the web just to figure out how to get the trashcan and computer shortcut on the screen.
I still have not found how to see any drives (HDD or Flash) , even though the “Device Menu” says they are there
Cut/Paste and Drag/Drop from Host to Linux doesn’t work (and yes I have select “Bidirectional for both”)

LOL… all I want to do it move the LINUX.ZIP file (remote debugger stub) from the host machine to the Linux VM
I don’t care if nothing else is installed… but I’ve been fighting with what should be a 10second task for 2 hours now[/quote]
I would point out that modern versions of Linux expect to be running on modern hardware… not emulated on older hardware. It could be that it’s simply not fast enough.

I understand that…
so I tried most of yesterday to make a USB bootable version (followed instructions on 1/2 dozen website, none worked)
was surprised that Bootcamp won’t support it…
and even with the slow VBox version, I cannot figure out how to show the DRIVES… and that is Linux not the emulator

like I said… all I want to really do here is run the remote debugger for Xojo…

booting usb on an old computer takes around 1/2 hour … painfully slow.

I work with everyday on a 2008 macbookpro (with ssd and 8Gb ram)
virtualbox runs like a charm on it.
I’m pretty sure your macpro is not much older than mine…

my MacPro is 2006
but I installed VBox (5.1) and Mint (18.2) under Windows not macOS
Seems that I put a non-Apple USB keyboard and there is no equivalent of the OPTION key so I can get back to OSX :frowning:
I had it auto boot to Windows and can’t seem to change that with the current keyboad

[quote=338984:@Dave S]my MacPro is 2006
but I installed VBox (5.1) and Mint (18.2) under Windows not macOS
Seems that I put a non-Apple USB keyboard and there is no equivalent of the OPTION key so I can get back to OSX :frowning:
I had it auto boot to Windows and can’t seem to change that with the current keyboad[/quote]
You should be able to switch the boot drive in the boot camp settings.

Try lightweight linux mint version (xfce version). If you’re using Cinnamon version, the computer icon should be on your desktop.

normaly option = alt key ?

I can’t find proper instructions on how to make such a boot drive…
I tried as I said about 1/2 dozen different sets of instructions… .and tried to boot my Laptop and for the most part it ignored the drive completely

by jove… you are correct
except now it ignores any keys… so I see the drives. but I can’t select one, or boot the preselected one :frowning:

can’t you choose a drive with the mouse ?
try the numeric keypad, sometimes the arrow keys are there 4=<-, 6=->
strange computer you have !