Multiple projects open

It happens to be that I am forced to keep using 2016R3 for existing projects, since some controls/plugins in use are just not compatible with 2017R1 or visa versa.
Now I am working on Win10, IDE 2017R1 and have more than 1 project open. I see a lot of flickering between project-screens when I press Ctrl-K for example, which is not the case with 2016R3. To be honest, it feels a bit messy to me. Hope it get’s back to the experience prior to 2017R1 with the next releases to come.

In 2017R1 IDE, started using it for a serious project today, I see the flickering between screens happening on every Ctrl-S, which I am used to do every 10 seconds. And … also not to be happy with, 2017R1 IDE doesn’t even follow my typing speed. (10 fingers blind and quite fast sometimes, but I don’t want to be far ahead on the editor and wait before my typed code appears.)
I do like the HiDPI support of the IDE, but over all I think I’d like to go back to 2016R3. What a pain …

How powerfull and fast is your computer ?
Processor Kind & Speed / RAM / HD (SSD) ?

[quote=338562:@Emile Schwarz]How powerfull and fast is your computer ?
Processor Kind & Speed / RAM / HD (SSD) ?[/quote]
More than fast enought, i7 full SSD, 16 GB RAM , it’s just xojo 2017R1. 2016R3 --> no issue like this

I suppose: “no other application running” ?

On my PC laptop (a slow processor, RAM = 4GB),I get that, especially when I watch TV at the same time…

same here.

Mine is i7 (7th gen), 8gig ram, 500 samsung ssd, windows 10. turned off my antivirus, 30% available memory (task manager), xojo 2017 1.1 = Turtle

Any advise? or do I need change to mac?

Hi Joost,
Are your projects stored on a network drive or on a local drive?
Recent versions of the IDE give me terrible performance when using Windows 10 and projects stored on a network drive.

To be clear: tried to continue a 2016R3 project in 2017R1 IDE. Nothing else changed.
Meanwhile I am back at 2016R3 again. Unfortunately !

2016r4 and above use Direct2D for drawing in Windows. Make sure your video card has up-to-date drivers and enough vram.

And all our customers too?
Presumably someone thinks Direct2D provides benefits. What are they?

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd370987(v=vs.85).aspx

@Joost Rongen and @Jeff Tullin
You can add feedback points to Julian’s case. That should be the first brick for the Windows implementation of dwg controls etc. I, like many others, thought that Win32 was really the issue and that it would not get better until Xojo went .NET. Then i read through Julian’s work and decided to ask some of my developers friends ( which know much more than i do). They were gracious enough to do similar experiments where they used (old) tools that used Win32 ( and not .net). They came up with a similar conclusion to Julian’s; something on my dev toolset was wrong because a similar simple app with multiple controls would display so much worse on my dev toolset (read xojo). So as cool as adding D2D to the new version sounds, it appears it is not much more than that saying about putting lipstick on a pig. Your mileage may vary, of course.

And don’t get me wrong. Xojo is still the better tool for xplat dev

I know.

Running on a MacBookPro with NVIDIA GEOFORCE GT 650M 512 MB (mid 2012) , using Parallels 11 to run Windows 10.
Nearly 100% of my time I am running Windows since my environment is Windows oriented.
But I do use OSX for testing since I want my project being fully compatible running on Mac.

BTW: except the flickering, the Windows IDE using D2D looks mutch better and less fuzzy than the old GDI versions.

And for an existing project, still to be released yet, I cannot use it since it makes use of Einhugur Treeview plugin which, as bjorn said, cannot be updated due to a issue to be solved by Xojo.

Make sure Parallels video support is set up for Direct2D. That said, it really does behave much better on a physical machine. This is one reason that I keep boot camp set up on my main machine.

I am looking for this option in the Parallels VM config, but don’t see Direct2D video support option. Could you tell me what the optimal config would be Greg ?

It’s badly named in my opinion. Look under Hardware > Graphics > Advanced Settings. Hardware Acceleration = 3D Acceleration.

Also make sure you have enough memory allocated to the “video card”. I usually double the recommended amount.

[quote=339025:@Greg O’Lone]It’s badly named in my opinion. Look under Hardware > Graphics > Advanced Settings. Hardware Acceleration = 3D Acceleration.

Also make sure you have enough memory allocated to the “video card”. I usually double the recommended amount.[/quote]

Thanks Greg. I have 3D Acceleration on and 1024 MB video memory allocated.

I don’t see flickering, I see each open project being activated one after the other when analyzing, running, building or saving. This is exasperated when your build settings include a save file step. It also happens on a single project with multiple work spaces.

I find it annoying, but not a show stopper.