My Linux adventures continues…

I was able to read an entry in right-click in the shared folder (Mint) and set the permissions to root (and give the password).

a. Nice, I can open my shared folder

b. BAD ! I have to do that… all the time !!!

Test feedback:

a. My Linux application can be run from the shared folder. BUT I cannot open the sqlite file. (I get some Exception and I do not care which one it is/was: read below)
Do not ask me why, I do not know.
The night was young when I started tis Linux Mint session.

b. A previous compile (in the Download folder) works. But of course I cannot test the changes I’ve done on the PopupMenu Height (30 instead of 20).

c. At a moment in time, I had the best idea of the millenium (no, really, the best idea of the last 5 minutes only…):
Upload the application to my Cloud server using macOS FireFox, download the application from my Cloud server using Linux Mint Firefox and fire it. *

Works fine, and the PopupMenu (whose height were changed) now display correctly their text !

I nearly forgot:
I am unable to copy (or move) a file from the shared folder to any other part of the Linux ‘hard disk’. It told me the shared folder does not exists (and, of course, I saw it twice: once inthe Linux VM, a second in my macOS SSD.

• Yes, to move a file from my SSD to my very same SSD, I send it to the USA (from France) and get it back :frowning:
    Do you know a more stupid action ?

For the record:
Xojo 2015r1
El Capitan (10.11.6)
Linux Mint 18.1 ‘Serena’

Used code:

PM_Birth_Day.Height   = 30 // Size try #1 [30 pixels instead of 20]

FWIW.

[quote=337378:@Emile Schwarz]I nearly forgot:
I am unable to copy (or move) a file from the shared folder to any other part of the Linux ‘hard disk’. It told me the shared folder does not exists (and, of course, I saw it twice: once inthe Linux VM, a second in my macOS SSD.
[/quote]

copy (or move) with Xojo code ?

if so then try FolderItem.URLPath in Linux

No, from the Desktop: use right-click move the mouse a file from the shared folder to the Documents folder.

Linux (Mint) OS was lying tome: it says the file cannot be copied (or moved) becayse it does not exists. (How can it not exists: I see it !)

Works flawlessly here once I tell parallels what folders to share & install the tools inside Linux Mint 18.1

YMMV depending on what VM software you use

Hello,

i think insteat of setting the acces rights (to root) via Filemanager in Linux it is better to add (or check) that your user is in the vboxsf group.

Via CLI:

sudo usermod -G vboxsf -a <YourOwnUserName>

or

sudo usermod --groups vboxsf --append <YourOwnUserName>

Or via GUI (Example Screenshots taken on Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon):

After a a that logging out and logging in again (or better a restart of the VM) all should work as wanted and you should be able to access the file in your shared folder correctly.

Best Regards,

Ren Landscheidt

Thanks Ren.

Norman:
The used VM is VirtualBox.

I fired VirtualBox, ran Linux Mint 18.1 ‘Cinamon’ and searched for the System icon (Systemverwaltung).

Unfortunately, I do not found it (not any Firewall Icon or Users that probably are inside it).

Nota: I run the French version, but I looked at the Icons (that I set to 128 pixels wide).

My MenuBar is on the monitor bottom (left).

Any complementary hint ?

Hello,

Hmm. Let me check my VM.

also: Yes that’s correct. the MenuBar is normaly on the Bottom off the Monitor, on the left side.
I Like the Style of the old Gnome 2 Desktop, so i configrued it to be on the Top.

OK.

I forgot to tell that I installed KDE (I think).

Any idea on where I will find the System Preferences ?
(it have nearly the same icon I have on my Macintosh.)

OK. Let me check my Mint KDE Linux.

Sorry, hat to reimport the VM.

But here is another ScreenShot om my Cinnamon-VM:

OK. VM Import is done now to fire it up.

Thanks Ren. Heres what I found:

Obviously, the searched Users and Groups have to be there but it is not.

Other ideas ?

Edit: this is a 64 Bits Edition (with obviously 32 Bits libraries because Xojo IDE and my application works).

Hello @Emile Schwarz ,

So. Here is wat i have found. The default Usermanager instaled by LinuxMint KDE has not all the required Features.

First you have to install the “KUSer” Software from the Repos.

I am up to date since minutes ago !

OK, I will search that after lunch.

Found the installation process…

KUSer Installed.

Reboot in progress…

Time for lunch has come because my stomack is crying our loud (did I say loud ?).

[quote]I was able to read an entry in right-click in the shared folder (Mint) and set the permissions to root (and give the password).
a. Nice, I can open my shared folder
b. BAD ! I have to do that… all the time !!!

Test feedback:[/quote]
Hi Emile,
This may be of no help, I don’t know about VM.
But, I have seen Mint Linux lock all of the files copied from the network into Shared folders. what I do is: On the Mint desktop, make a new folder (Mine is labeled “Transfer”)with permission for everybody. Drag it into the shared folder and then, from the other locations, put files into “Transfer”. Here, they are not locked.
Don